Help me choose a 2-point trem

coldstar

Heya folks,

So I've got a 2004-ish made in Korea Fender "Lite Ash" Strat that I bought off someone on craigslist for $250. I've been trying to fix it up as a good "bang for the buck" Strat. Replaced the tuners, pickups and all the electonics, but I think the bridge on it is toast. The knife edges looked all warbly when I took it off and it doesn't return to zero worth a damn. So I'm looking at options to replace the trem unit with something else that will fit the existing bridge studs. The studs are 2 3/16" apart (might be 2 7/32" - my tape measure isn't that accurate) and the string spacing is 2 1/16, so bridges intended to retro-fit an American Standard Strat should fit. Other info:

1. I do use the bar, and like them set up to float. I use it more for vibrato than dive-bombs though.
2. I'll take better tone over the "feel" of the trem motion. I do expect it to stay in tune though.
3. I'm poor, so I'm not interested in boutique stuff that costs more than about $150
4. I know the traditional 6-screw trem has many merits, but pulling the bridge studs and filling the holes properly is beyond my ability (or budget, since I'd have to pay a luthier to do it)

Guitar Fetish has this: USA Strat- 2 Point Hardened Steel Upgrade Tremolo System and this: Wilkinson Stainless Saddle Trem- Fit's ALL Strats!! Sparkling Chrome, either of which would fit.

Anybody have other "good budget 2-point trem" suggestions for me? I'd appreciate any advice from you guitar gurus.

If 'budget' is your requirement, either one of those looks good. Guitar Fetish seems to have a decent rep and has been around for a while. Their return/exchange policies are good as well.

I have a Wilkinson on one of my guitars and really like it.

TT

+1 for Wilkinson. That is one of the most stable and smooth options, and you can find a lot of positive reviews out there from happy users.

Just make sure you get a genuine Wilkinson. There's some copies out there of varying quality. The ones make in Japan by Gotoh are reputed to be of very good quality. I personally like VS-100N since the saddles are locked down and it has the push in style arm with the adjustable bushing for about $90 US. It's a direct replacement for a USA Strat 2 point trem as well.

Just make sure you get a genuine Wilkinson. There's some copies out there of varying quality. The ones make in Japan by Gotoh are reputed to be of very good quality. I personally like VS-100N since the saddles are locked down and it has the push in style arm with the adjustable bushing for about $90 US. It's a direct replacement for a USA Strat 2 point trem as well.

This is my issue with the Wilkinson: there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "genuine" one - they'll all licensed. I'm specifically wary of the "mystery" black sustain blocks on them... Not even the gotoh site seems to indicate what they're made of.

I found this: Babicz Full Contact Hardware - With "eCAM" Saddle Technology from Babicz - FCH 2-Point Original Tremolo which is at the top end of my price range, but it has free shipping if I send it to my USA mailbox.

The Hipshot is also not crazy expensive: 6 String US Contour Tremolo > Store > Hipshot Products

Last edited:
Heya folks,

So I've got a 2004-ish made in Korea Fender "Lite Ash" Strat that I bought off someone on craigslist for $250. I've been trying to fix it up as a good "bang for the buck" Strat. Replaced the tuners, pickups and all the electonics, but I think the bridge on it is toast. The knife edges looked all warbly when I took it off and it doesn't return to zero worth a damn. So I'm looking at options to replace the trem unit with something else that will fit the existing bridge studs. The studs are 2 3/16" apart (might be 2 7/32" - my tape measure isn't that accurate) and the string spacing is 2 1/16, so bridges intended to retro-fit an American Standard Strat should fit. Other info:

1. I do use the bar, and like them set up to float. I use it more for vibrato than dive-bombs though.
2. I'll take better tone over the "feel" of the trem motion. I do expect it to stay in tune though.
3. I'm poor, so I'm not interested in boutique stuff that costs more than about $150
4. I know the traditional 6-screw trem has many merits, but pulling the bridge studs and filling the holes properly is beyond my ability (or budget, since I'd have to pay a luthier to do it)

Guitar Fetish has this: USA Strat- 2 Point Hardened Steel Upgrade Tremolo System and this: Wilkinson Stainless Saddle Trem- Fit's ALL Strats!! Sparkling Chrome, either of which would fit.

Anybody have other "good budget 2-point trem" suggestions for me? I'd appreciate any advice from you guitar gurus.

I'm curious; so far; how much money have you sunk into this guitar to bring it up to par?

I'm curious; so far; how much money have you sunk into this guitar to bring it up to par?

That's gotten to be a little complicated to answer - I had originally ordered some parts expecting to upgrade a Squier, but bought the Lite Ash instead. Lets see:

1. Bill Lawrence Keystone pups cost ~100 CAD when I bought them, but I've pulled the stock Seymour Duncan APS1 pups and can probably sell those for at least as much
2. Tuners cost about $35
3. Electronics about $40
4. Strap locks and roller string tees for $20
5. I spent $45 on a 6-screw bridge (that I intended to use to upgrade a Squier) which is now orphaned

So, since the pickups are basically a wash, the net amount spent is about $150 so far. I still need a bridge and ought to replace the nut too, so we've got $250 (guitar) + $160 (parts) + $175 (bridge - the most I'd spend) = $585. That's about the price of a new MIM Strat down at Long & McQuade before tax, and those sure don't have Keystones or fancy after-market bridges on them.

Lite Ash Strats seem to sell on EBay for $500 - $600 (plus shipping, of couse) so I figured $250 for a moderately abused one that I could fix up was a pretty smokin' deal. I think the economics of it work out OK, it's just taking a lot of time and work.

Last edited:
I have 2 brand new wilkinson vs-100 trems in my parts drawer. One black, one chrome. I bought them from a wilkinson dealer for two strat builds for someone. The person bailed on the builds, so they have never left my drawer.
If you're interested in either one, send me a PM. I keep meaning to drop them on eBay....but I just never remember.

I had a Wilkinson VS100 installed on a custom build a couple years ago and really liked it. Great feel and has a beefy arm that's somewhat Floyd-like.

Back
Top Bottom