Help Me Buy a Bass?

iaresee

Administrator
Band is done done done as of tonight. I couldn't sustain it with my home-work situation right now so I had to let it go for now. It'll probably be a while before I'm ready to add that back to my life.

I need a bass. So I can do more recording at home. I don't like laying down bass with my keyboard.

I've got small hands. I can't play particularly good bass guitar either.

What should I be looking for? Would like to keep it around $750. P-Bass? Jazz? Something else? Is there a bass with smaller neck profile that I could focus on?

Ibanez Gio bass. Budget but like a Squier if you take it for a good setup it’s a good little bass. We are the demo for this thing: a bass for guitarists/smaller-handed people.

Ibanez Gio bass. Budget but like a Squier if you take it for a good setup it’s a good little bass. We are the demo for this thing: a bass for guitarists/smaller-handed people.

I forget Ibby makes basses. I'll go check these out at Guitar Center.

Try to get your hands on a used Fame bass. It is made in the Mayones factory in poland and are incredibly well build.
Like this? https://reverb.com/item/29455437-hondo-fame-830-bass-guitar-used

How do I know what the neck profile is like on that? Small hands, man. Small hands.

Like this? https://reverb.com/item/29455437-hondo-fame-830-bass-guitar-used

How do I know what the neck profile is like on that? Small hands, man. Small hands.

Not sure that is a fame. Think it is a Hondo where that model is called fame.

Here are some new ones with a bit of specs.
https://www.musicstore.com/INTERSHO...te/en_US/ms-us/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse

EDIT!! For some reason the link wont show them, but search for fame under basses and you will find them.

There are oodles of SoundGear line basses from Ibanez that are good value for the money.

Also, note that there are two recent threads here about similar topics...

What should I be looking for? Would like to keep it around $750. P-Bass? Jazz? Something else? Is there a bass with smaller neck profile that I could focus on?

If you want to stick with a regular 34” scale bass, I would suggest a MIM Jazz Bass. Jazz Bass necks are relatively narrow near the nut and are very comfortable to play. Most importantly, they will give you one of the most commonly used bass tones ever recorded.

If you want something more modern sounding, take a look at what Ibanez or Yamaha has to offer. Both are the best I’ve played in the around that price range. As stated above, Ibanez has some really nice medium and short scale models. The Mezzo is an amazing bass for the price, but I would suggest something a little nicer with your budget.

With that said, after owning various brands, models and styles, I settled on a gently used 2013 American Standard Jazz Bass and will probably never replace it. Primarily a guitar player for over 28 years, but I just can’t put this bass down. It plays and sounds that great.

Hi iaresee,

A second hand fender precision - you will never regret that purchase.

Thanks
Pauly

Band is done done done as of tonight. I couldn't sustain it with my home-work situation right now so I had to let it go for now. It'll probably be a while before I'm ready to add that back to my life.

I need a bass. So I can do more recording at home. I don't like laying down bass with my keyboard.

Other than the recommendations for P/J basses (I like the look of the Jericho P/J myself)... Ibanez soundgear is easy to play, Peavey Cirrus is an excellent option with great tone if you can do the 35" scale (I kinda wish I bought one instead of my soundgear, personally). I have experience with two cirrus basses (5 string and 6, both older USA made) and they are killer. From what I read and see in videos, the new offshore ones are very good too.

I've got two Ibanez basses and I like them both but for very different reasons. The soundgear 5 string (SR1305se, I think?) is excellent. Nordstrand Big Singles + D'addario Chromes through the FAS Bass model = :). I also have one of the little "mikro" basses which are super cheap <$200 and fun to play just for S&Gs. While I wouldn't use it to track with, it is nice for figuring stuff out or just noodling because the 28.6" scale is super easy to play coming off a guitar... and I could get good enough tone to sit in with a group from it for sure. Be warned though if you go that route, you would need to modify the bridge (shorten the intonation screws so you can pull the saddles further back) to get it intonate properly, and the pots are crap.

Not hijacking the thread or anything, but anyone tried a Warwick? They certainly look cool but unsure how they sound? The Corvette $$ looks particularly meaty!

I'll join the chorus advocating for a used Jazz or Precision. They just work.
Awww Man, you nailed that!
Every precision or Jazz i ever tried "Just Worked", every time in the studio, or live.
Having said that, I'd love to have the spank and spunk of a trusty Rick 4003 "Geddy minus his fingers"

These basses don't necessarily fall in lines with small hands of the OP though :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom