Help me a/b original recording

torkolort

Inspired
First one is a short part of Petrucci's orignial isolated track, second is my attempt. I'm at the point where I feel I'm getting fairly close, but then I'm out of options as to what I need to tweak to get it more similar. I hear a big difference, but I cannot put my finger on what it is. First that comes to mind is that mine is a lot more thin and sterile. Any suggestions?

[soundcloud]
http://soundcloud.com/torkolort/original
[/soundcloud]
[soundcloud]
http://soundcloud.com/torkolort/me
[/soundcloud]

Thanks

Still sounds good and captures the feel of the original nicely. Nice job!

For staters the original track has much more of a much longer delay than you're using. Yours sounds like about 250ms or a reverb with a lot of early reflection. The original sounds, at least thru my laptop speakers, like a single repeat set to 1/4 notes (although I can't tell the ACTUAL tempo) for the track. Anyway, long--like 500-700 ms. You could use tap tempo or just set it by ear. And cranked almost as hot as the original signal. You'll probably need to use at least some ducking so the delayed signal doesn't clutter up your played notes. Then a bit of sm hall or lg room verb.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

I know the delay isn't right, I used 350ms ish ping pong, didn't pay too much attention to the exact delay settings. I'll try your suggestions, but first I need to identify what to tweak in order to get the core sound more similar. I'm having a hard time getting a good sounding patch for both neck and bridge position. I feel that when in neck position, the tone is wider, rounder, and somewhat smoother but at the same time I think it's much more lifeless and sterile. When in bridge position, the tone gets more lively and it's easy to get that voicy, soaring type of lead. Also, in this position I can easily induce harmonics, but that's almost impossible with the neck position. But I guess that's kinda normal, and that's why he's changing position quite a few times throughout a solo.

Finally, and maybe the most annoying part; neck position usually sounds pretty good on the high frets, but below 8th or 7th fret on any string, it just sounds horrible! It's like the guitar is burping the notes out, and it sounds almost like that "Man in the box"-stock preset! I've tried all sorts of things with EQs, but I don't know where or what to change!

Anyway, the bottom line is that I feel my position-changes are much more noticeable than on the original. It's a JP6.

I dunno. The original track has a little more high end bite and possibly a touch more gain, but I wanted to correct myself with regards to the delay now that I had a chance to listen with headphones.

Yours is closer than I thought listening thru the small speakers--an 1/8th note ping pong. His just has more repeats and is hotter in the mix.

Some of the differences are in your hands, I think, too. Like the way he scoops up to that 1st high F from several frets below and maybe with a whammy bar at the same time. In fact, the whole solo sounds as if he could be holding the bar as he picks and using it for vibrato and subtle scoops. That's what I'd do anyway--it can really change the way notes respond. Add a little pinch of harmonic from the thumb holding your pick and suddenly have a note that really bleeds instead of just lays there. I find that these kind of attack/control subtleties can go a huge way towards making transcribed solos sound authentic. But, hey, that's part of what makes the great players great, right?

Anyway, that's my $.02...good luck!

I first ran the tracks one at a time and then at the same time. To my ears it sounded more like a speaker cab difference I would play around with that, the distortion sounds right on but as pointed out your delay mix is a tad dry other than that it sounds very good.

which ir did you use? try the ownhammer mesa v30 1 sm57 pos 3 ir. imho it comes relatively close to his sound.

Appreciate your input guys!

I've tried some redwirez cabs before, but a while I ago I just decided I liked the Cali with the sm57 and have been using that since. I'll experiment some more with different cabs and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom