Help matching a few Pink Floyd tones

mbrown3

Inspired
OK, so from the tone gurus I could use some help matching a few tones from Pink Floyd's Pulse album (specifically those version of the songs vs the originals).

First is the lead tone at the beginning of What Do You Want From Me - 0:19 to 0:36 (my favorite lead tone of all time)
Second is the lead tone from Learning to Fly - 3:58 to 4:44
Finally, solo tone from Another Brick in the Wall - 3:45 to 4:58

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't tried any of these yet, some of them because I'm not sure where to start. The one I'd really like to find is the first one, but any of them would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

First, have a Strat and use the neck pickup a lot. Second, use less gain that you would think -- a lot of his lead tones like 'Brick' are barely breaking up.

Also, you might try AlGrenadine's new conversion utility, which is in active beta (see the AxeFX II forum.) He recently added AFII to AX8 conversions, though there are definitely a few caveats. Then go to Axe-Change and do a search for 'Floyd'. There are a ton of PF presets, including ones from Bobby Harrison that he was using in the touring production of 'The Wall'.

Incidentally, I saw David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl two nights ago. Amazing show...

TT

First, have a Strat and use the neck pickup a lot. Second, use less gain that you would think -- a lot of his lead tones like 'Brick' are barely breaking up.

Also, you might try AlGrenadine's new conversion utility, which is in active beta (see the AxeFX II forum.) He recently added AFII to AX8 conversions, though there are definitely a few caveats. Then go to Axe-Change and do a search for 'Floyd'. There are a ton of PF presets, including ones from Bobby Harrison that he was using in the touring production of 'The Wall'.

Incidentally, I saw David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl two nights ago. Amazing show...

TT

Yeah I'm less concerned with the guitar and phrasing/touch side of things...more concerned about matching the tone (as much as possible) in the AX8. Also the presets I've found don't try to match the Pulse tones. The production of the Wall will match the Wall's tones...I very much want the Pulse tones.

I saw them at the end of the Pulse tour in 94, I think it was...one of the most epic experiences of my life.

I saw a demo of a someone creating the Gilmour "Brick In The Wall" tone for a lead. He had 2 x compressor - one at the start and one at the end. Both with very small amount of compression, and 3 other pedals including boost on the edge of break up, a bit of fuzz (but very small) and so on. I can't remember as it was over a year ago. It might have been shown on the premier guitar site but once again - I can't remember.

Here is an example of creating a tone in the AXE -->
And a commentary (in actual type) of the previous setup video --> https://guitarlessons365.com/david-gilmour-lead-guitar-tone-tutorial-time/
There is a link to a PDF that shows all of this guy's settings. This might be helpful to you too ...

Here's another one -->

More discussion about his setup including strings, pickups, and pedal types etc. --> http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/how-to-sound-like-david-gilmour

Hope that helps

Thanks mmpete. The problem with the first video is that the tone isn't actually remotely close to sounding like Gilmour's. The 2nd one is closer, but of course it's not using an Axe. Plus the flat singing. ;)

I'd love to be able to reproduce Gilmour's Big Muff tones. I haven't even been able to come close using the Pi Fuzz drive block in my Axe II. There's no balls to it at all. Everything I've tried with the Pi Fuzz has sounded weak and too compressed. I've actually had better luck using the RAT in the drive block, but it doesn't have quite that sizzle and growl that David's Muff tone has.

Here's a patch I made for coming back to life (Pulse version) and I think it can be used as a base for the tones you're chasing. I almost strictly followed the photos of his rig and the settings that you find at gilmourish.com, check that site to see what effect you have to change or add in the various songs.
The amp block is a simulation of the Alembic+Hiwatt power amp, I used the vibrato verb ab model that has the same exact preamp of the alembic and modified all the parameters relative to the P.A. copying the hiwatt model values. It's pretty spot on ;-)
The cab I used is TAF_VinMars+Starfound-MIX that is a commercial one but you can substitute it with a stereo cab and selecting two of the stock cabs (for example Starfound and MarsBW).
The filter you see as the first block is to simulate the spc control in the EMG DG20, you can disable it if you have it or if the song doesn't require it.
The drive has two settings of the tube driver, x as overdrive and y as clean boost.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxZ1iBZmvsnfNkROQ1ZtMUdBRTA
The folder contains both an axe fx II preset and the single blocks to load on the AX8. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

PS: consider that gilmour often just rolled off a bit the guitar volume to obtain a clean sound, as is the case in the coming back intro (set it at 7-8)

Last edited:
Here's a patch I made for coming back to life (Pulse version) and I think it can be used as a base for the tones you're chasing. I almost strictly followed the photos of his rig and the settings that you find at gilmourish.com, check that site to see what effect you have to change or add in the various songs.
The amp block is a simulation of the Alembic+Hiwatt power amp, I used the vibrato verb ab model that has the same exact preamp of the alembic and modified all the parameters relative to the P.A. copying the hiwatt model values. It's pretty spot on ;-)
The cab I used is TAF_VinMars+Starfound-MIX that is a commercial one but you can substitute it with a stereo cab and selecting two of the stock cabs (for example Starfound and MarsBW).
The filter you see as the first block is to simulate the spc control in the EMG DG20, you can disable it if you have it or if the song doesn't require it.
The drive has two settings of the tube driver, x as overdrive and y as clean boost.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZ1iBZmvsnfWGVlVzB0UXA1N2s
The folder contains both an axe fx II preset and the single blocks to load on the AX8. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

PS: consider that gilmour often just rolled off a bit the guitar volume to obtain a clean sound, as is the case in the coming back intro (set it at 7-8)
This is great DLC86. I'll check it out later today. Thanks much.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZ1iBZmvsnfWGVlVzB0UXA1N2s

Very cool -- could you possibly add the AFII patch itself to those files so it doesn't have to be reconstructed on an AFII?

Thanks,
TT

Very cool -- could you possibly add the AFII patch itself to those files so it doesn't have to be reconstructed on an AFII?

Thanks,
TT
Edit: sorry, I realized now that I linked the wrong folder.. my bad!
Now it should work

Last edited:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxZ1iBZmvsnfNkROQ1ZtMUdBRTA

I will check this out too - thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom