Help loading Presets using SysEx Librarian

Mark Cullen

Inspired
I am trying to load presets into the Axe Fx II using SysEx Librarian.

When I send a preset it seems to go to the unit and actually saves in some random spot (I can't figure out the logic of where it turns up)
This is a problem because it overwrites presets and I can't predict which ones!

Can anyone tell me how to safely send presets in a predictable manner? Thanks!

I started a thread about this very thing a couple of days ago. The answer seems to be that the librarian sends the preset to the spot where it was in the unit it was created on. This location information is stored in the preset somehow. If the guy who posted the present can't tell you where he had it on his Axe than you will never be able to predict where it will go when you send it to your Axe.

Thanks Shredology.

I'm just trying to send the presets from my own saved presets. I'm the one who created them. But like you say the location info seems to be "hidden" in the preset, even though in Axe Manage these location numbers (I thought) had been stripped from them.

I was using Axe Edit up until a week ago when it suddenly decided it did not want to fully open. It hangs before it fully boots.
Very frustrating as I transfer presets between the Axe and the computer daily.

The new Axe Edit can't come soon enough for me!

I was under the impression that the preset will be saved to whatever preset # you are sitting on - as long as you are in recall mode. It seems to behave that way for me. Are you starting in recall mode and navigating to the preset you want to overwrite before sending the midi data?

Yes Jeff. That's how it used to work, but it seems that Axe Manage has been writing the location information into the preset files.

Is there any other solution (for a Mac computer) for sending files?

or, is there a way to not have the file save when it gets to the Axe-Fx? If it just went to the buffer only, then we could decide where to save it, but I am not being given that option.

Well bummer. Can you see any destination options in the SysEx Librarian? Maybe download the MIDI Monitor util from snoize and see if you can tell where it is sending the preset.

Can you post the preset here so I can try tonight? Like I said, I haven't experienced this and I use the same util. (that's how I have been previewing all of Fremen's presets).

Thanks Jeff.

Anthem goes to slot 018
Came To My Rescue goes to slot 004

My display offset is set to 1

Attachments

• Came To My Rescue.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Anthem XTC.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
This is becoming a recurring topic and a bit disturbing. Can someone over at FAS check it out real quick?

I haven't experienced it myself, but then I haven't had time to check out many shared presets since 8 dropped. As others, I'm under the impression, based on previous experience, that when a patch is sent via sysex (I'm not using AE), it should just load into the buffer, and not directly store it into some predetermined preset number without user intervention.

I need to test out a new guitar purchase tonight, so I'll try to make it a point to do some empirical testing on the axe regarding this (after a backup!) and report back.

There are two possible destinations for a preset: the edit buffer or a defined preset number. The destination is encoded in the data. If it's not going to the edit buffer then the preset was harvested from a hard drive somehow. Axe-Edit is notorious for saving presets incorrectly as well.

When you load a preset with Axe-Edit is sets the destination bytes. However if you use a librarian then the preset may go to the edit buffer or to a defined preset location depending upon the destination bytes.

You can identify the preset destination from the data. If the seventh byte is 7F then it will go into the edit buffer, otherwise it will go into preset memory.

For example:
F0 00 01 74 03 77 7F 00

goes to the edit buffer whereas

F0 00 01 74 03 77 01 02

will go to bank B preset 2 (patch 130).

There are two possible destinations for a preset: the edit buffer or a defined preset number. The destination is encoded in the data. If it's not going to the edit buffer then the preset was harvested from a hard drive somehow. Axe-Edit is notorious for saving presets incorrectly as well.

When you load a preset with Axe-Edit is sets the destination bytes. However if you use a librarian then the preset may go to the edit buffer or to a defined preset location depending upon the destination bytes.

You can identify the preset destination from the data. If the seventh byte is 7F then it will go into the edit buffer, otherwise it will go into preset memory.

For example:
F0 00 01 74 03 77 7F 00

F0 00 01 74 03 77 01 02

I have no clue where or how to find this data.

Now if we could only get some utility for Mac/PC that would change presets and always make it go to the buffer and not save it, we'd all be very happy.. :) Till then i'll wait for Axe Edit for any preset checking..

Thanks Jeff.

Anthem goes to slot 018
Came To My Rescue goes to slot 004

My display offset is set to 1

I checked both of these in a hex editor, and the two bytes representing the location reflect 17 and 3, respectively. So in these cases, the location is present and if *not* using Axe Manage to load the file, it will be loaded into your 17+1 and 3+1 presets.

IME, Axe Manage is *fine* to use as a sysex librarian, in which case (according to FAS), will rewrite the location data to drop the patch in the Axe buffer.

I have no clue where or how to find this data.

You can change it with a hex editor, or sysex tools that allow editing. Most sysex tools allow viewing the raw data.

You can view it using most sysex librarians, I believe. In my case I can view it with Snoize, but need to use a hex editor to change it.

IME, Axe Manage is *fine* to use as a sysex librarian, in which case (according to FAS), will rewrite the location data to drop the patch in the Axe buffer.

Thanks Zenkick.

Unfortunately, I can't even use Axe Manage because Axe Edit won't boot up properly (and you have to have Axe Edit open to open Axe Manage.)

Hopefully our new beta edit will arrive tomorrow!

Well, to circle back (and for my notes), replacing the 7th and 8th byte with 7F and 00 respectively (in those two patches above) did not put the preset in the Axe buffer (who knows where it went, LOL).

Initial attempt was made using sysread/seek/syswrite, which failed a test. Then I tried manually with my hex editor, and it failed.

That said, loading the two patches above (unmodified) did place them in my Axe in the preset destinations defined by the 7th and 8th bytes, as per FAS.

Maybe I'm missing something else for redefining the location...

Who knows... Done hacking. Time to play anyway.

For example:
F0 00 01 74 03 77 7F 00

F0 00 01 74 03 77 01 02

This type of infos would definitely sit well in a wiki section :)

So then it should just be a matter of editing the .syx file with a hex editor and change the 7th byte. I'll play with this later today.

Back
Top Bottom