HELP Lo Pro Edge Tremelo Sticking

Vhalen50

Experienced
I've had my JEM BRMR for about 10 years now and it has now started to "stick" when the tremelo goes back to the resting position. If i push on it, itll get stuck a half note sharp, and if i pull on it it can get stuck a half note flat. This results in pretty much it never going back to the correct tuning if i use the bar. Ive checked to make sure the pickguard isnt rubbing and greased the knife edges, any other suggestions?

I really dont want to have to buy a $400 lo pro edge from ibanez.

make sure the knife edges are razor sharp if not remove it and carefully sharpen them. check that it is setting on posts properly, check springs, check that sustain block and locking nut are not loose.

I do have a tremel-no on it but i made sure that was completely "off" and it was still happening. I think my next step is to just remove it completely, maybe its slightly grabbing even when the set screws are out.

make sure the knife edges are razor sharp if not remove it and carefully sharpen them. check that it is setting on posts properly, check springs, check that sustain block and locking nut are not loose.

Actually you don't really want the knife edges "razor sharp" as you put it. This can cut into the posts, plus they'll go blunt again quickly... and of course as things go, most likely in a way that ends up with the trem not returning to pitch properly. You basically want to file it to a point, but then just round it off a little.

That said, Vhalen50, yes the problem points from what you describe are most likely the knife edges or the posts. You can use a little graphite paste stuff or chapstick to lubricate the contact points, but ultimately you need those contact points working properly. Don't know if it's still there, but I think Ibanez Rules used to have tips for sharpening knife edges, as well as all kinds of handy info about maintaining Ibanez guitars. If not, the info's bound to be floating around on the internet somewhere. As paranoid said though, check other things. A consistent "double neutral" problem is typically the problems already mentioned, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the locking nut bolts and the neck joint bolts and whatever else is all tightened up properly.

Vhalen50,
before checking the knife edges, change you springs, I had the very same issue with a JEM 7V during its 10th year :)

About the knife edges: they shouldn't have any ding or anything. They should be "rounded" to roll on the posts.

If strings end up sharp after you lower the pitch w/ bar and flat after you raise it, that usually means something other than a pivot issue, like the nut isn't mounted securely or strings are slipping at the nut. Did you mistype or is that what's actually happening? If it's really about a semitone on some/all strings that sounds pretty bad, like the nut could be moving by 1 mm or more.

P.S. Tremolo, not tremelo.

old posts can also cause it... get some big bends nut sauce as well and lubricate the contact points.

If strings end up sharp after you lower the pitch w/ bar and flat after you raise it, that usually means something other than a pivot issue, like the nut isn't mounted securely or strings are slipping at the nut. Did you mistype or is that what's actually happening? If it's really about a semitone on some/all strings that sounds pretty bad, like the nut could be moving by 1 mm or more.

P.S. Tremolo, not tremelo.
Tomato Tomahto.

But I can check if the nut is moving or if the strings are slipping through, never thought of that.

DNW is correct! I should not have typed razor sharp but I have told some before to file the knife edges and the filed them square. I would look real close at the tremelo no(if knives are good), use graphite! nut sauces and chapstic will attract dirt.

Definitely check out the ibanezrules.com stuff as mentioned above. Great info on setup, care and feeding of all aspects of Ibanez guitars.

Check your trem studs (aka, posts) for grooves. I would suspect the springs... Also make sure the angle of the trem is correct: the "base" should be parallel to the neck/body. If you look at the side edges of the trem you will see a little "bar" of the base that is exposed. It's part of the base and it's a good way to visually align it.

As mentioned, check the nut bolts to make sure they are not loose but don't over tighten or you'll end up with cracks in the back of the neck.

Do you have the locking studs? Earlier Edge trems have locking studs - there's a small set screw in the center of the stud and if you have raised the height then they may need to be tightened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Turned out it was the tremel-no grabbing even when it was fully "off". I removed it and reinstalled the original claw and it's working correctly.

That Tremolo-No might not be a lost cause. It just may have been knocked off center. The prarts have to be perfectly aligned, or you can get that kind of weirdness.

That Tremolo-No might not be a lost cause. It just may have been knocked off center. The prarts have to be perfectly aligned, or you can get that kind of weirdness.

That's true. Ive saved it and may revisit it at a later day but im just glad that I didn't have to drop 400 unnecessary dollars on a new Edge Trem.

Back
Top Bottom