HELP! Latency Issue with Logic

Mark Pritchard

Experienced
Hi, I've just bought the Sunset sound reverb plugin for that Van Halen thing and I'm getting some latency when monitoring back with the plugin in Logic. I think its because I'm hearing the Axe plus the Axe with the plugin. Can anyone help please :weary:

Thanks

Make sure your audio buffer size is small enough for monitoring. That said, some plugins have significant latency and are not suitable for monitoring.
Thanks I did try that and it helped a bit but not enough. Is there not a way where I can just hear the input monitoring coming back to my Axe and not both the input monitoring and the current output of the Axe? I'm using my Axe as my Audio Interface. I do have a Focusrite 6i6 I can use if needed.

Set the aux send to pre-fade listening, just right-click over the send drop-down and select pre fade listening.
Set track fader to 0. That way you can listen direct from your Axe, and monitor the effects through Logic.

Set the aux send to pre-fade listening, just right-click over the send drop-down and select pre fade listening.
Set track fader to 0. That way you can listen direct from your Axe, and monitor the effects through Logic.
Hi mate, thanks. I did that and can listen direct from my Axe but how do I hear the effects through Logic? I want to hear as I play. Thanks

Thanks I did try that and it helped a bit but not enough. Is there not a way where I can just hear the input monitoring coming back to my Axe and not both the input monitoring and the current output of the Axe? I'm using my Axe as my Audio Interface. I do have a Focusrite 6i6 I can use if needed.
Sure. Monitor your AxeFX direct like you normally do. Then mix in 100% wet of your input monitoring with that direct signal.

Hi mate, thanks. I did that and can listen direct from my Axe but how do I hear the effects through Logic? I want to hear as I play. Thanks
I believe just told you how. Assuming you have the reverb plugin on a bus as you should, this will allow you to hear your Axe direct and reverb through Logic.... :)

I believe just told you how. Assuming you have the reverb plugin on a bus as you should, this will allow you to hear your Axe direct and reverb through Logic.... :)
I'm an idiot when it comes to this, I normally just record my Axe straight to Logic, don't know anything about plugins or bus's. I just hovered over the audio FX and added the reverb plugin, is that not correct? Thanks

Thank you so much man, I really appreciate that. I still have a bit of latency but its so much better. So do I need to have the bus 1 send around -5?
Thanks again.
There should be no latency in the guitar signal, make sure the mix on the Sunset Sound plugin-in is set too 100% wet.
Use the send as you effects level, set it were it sounds good. :)

There should be no latency in the guitar signal, make sure the mix on the Sunset Sound plugin-in is set too 100% wet.
Use the send as you effects level, set it were it sounds good. :)
Yes the mix is on 100% even before I turn on the plugin there is a bit of latency, I can here it when I click the input monitoring button on and off. Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere in Logic or in my Axe.

Thanks, out of interest where would I mix the wet and dry in my Axe?
The USB return to the AxeFX from Logic will contain the 100% wet reverb you inserted on the input channel when you have monitoring turned on in Logic and the effect is set to 100% wet. This USB return will go to output 1 on your AxeFX. The output 1 block in the chain in the AxeFX will have your dry sound. That will also go to output 1, so the wet and dry will be mixed in the AxeFX. The wet coming back from Logic will be delayed, but because it's a 100% wet reverb, you won't hear any latency.

You can try to do the mixing in Logic, but I don't believe that will work. PDC should still be applied to the input channel, even when you bus the reverb to an aux channel. There is a PDC bug in Logic that might allow this to work in some circumstances, but I wouldn't count on it.

Back
Top Bottom