Help ~ Just updated my MFC-101 to firmware 3.5 and the Edit menu isn't working

Radley

Experienced
Help ~ Just updated my MFC-101 v2 to firmware 3.5, and the Edit menu is no longer responding (nothing happens when I page left or right). Haven't dealt with updating/programming my MFCs for a long time, but I've got an immediately upcoming tour (very little notice) :eek:, and I will be forced to resort to my All Access controllers (or GT-10s) unless I find a quick way to get my MFC working again... any help will be much appreciated!

Have you tried rebooting it with Switch 11 held down (does a soft reset)? Any troubleshooting you've done would be helpful to know.

hey hadley. maybe don't try holding switch 11 because you'll lose all settings.

does row 2 work at all in normal preset mode?

what did you use to update? assuming it said update complete or similar on the mfc at some point?

I would try a few things.

* Does it work disconnected entirely from the AXE fx? Just powered via the wall wart only? I had a problem where mine would lock up because the axe-fx mode was not set correctly on the MFC. I had to use the wall wart only to fix it. Not sure if that problem was fixed in 3.5 or not.

* Have you performed a factory reset?

Thanks!

Hey guys ~ Thanks for the helpful responses... you were all correct, but I had sent a distress email to Matt and he answered immediately with the exact info I needed before I even saw your responses!

I'm on my way now... Thanks to you all!

BUT... Since I've got your attention :eek:, Please tell me how to load a backup in to my MFC (it's from late 2012, so I hope there won't be any major OS conflict). It seems that since my latest FW updates, the MFC has 'forgotten' how I had it programmed...

Last edited:
If you don't mind, when you get a chance post the fix here? That'll help anyone in the future :). Thanks!

The rather embarrassing 'fix' was for Matt to remind me that I must make a selection from the bottom row of switches before I can access the page buttons ~ I am such a forgetful man! :eek:

Last edited:
BUT... Since I've got your attention , Please tell me how to load a backup in to my MFC (it's from late 2012, so I hope there won't be any major OS conflicst). It seems that since my latest FW updates, the MFC has 'forgotten' how I had it programmed (scares me!)

BUT... Since I've got your attention , Please tell me how to load a backup in to my MFC (it's from late 2012, so I hope there won't be any major OS conflicst). It seems that since my latest FW updates, the MFC has 'forgotten' how I had it programmed (scares me!)

Radley, the backup likely won't be compatible with the latest firmware I'm afraid.

But...use Fractal-Bot. You'll need to attach your MFC-101 to your computer via MIDI but NOT using the Ether-Con or FASLINK port on your Axe-Fx II. I honestly find it best to just use the MFC's power supply and a plain, old Roland UM-1 MIDI USB interface to do this. Attach interface to MFC, power to MFC, run Fractal-Bot and select the Roland interface and then use the SEND tab on Fractal-Bot to send the backup. Fractal-Bot will walk you through the rest.

as ian said, i most likely will not be compatible and won't be the same.

it sucks, but i'd recommend manually setting it up again (sorry!). it's better to know you made that switch do that function, rather than discovering it actually didn't read the old file correctly.

or if you can send someone the previous MFC file, if they have the time, they can see what the previous one did, and then create a current firmware version to match for you.

Basically, the MFC was set to alternating banks of 15 ~ 15 for electric, then 15 for acoustic, then repeat the pattern all the way thru all banks (acoustic banks use a different AFX input). The remaining two switches simply toggled delay and drive status ~ I'm just not sure whether this was done via CC or what...

Last edited:
Basically, the MFC was set to alternating banks of 15 ~ 15 for electric, then 15 for acoustic, then repeat the pattern all the way thru all banks (acoustic banks use a different AFX input). The remaining two switches simply toggled delay and drive status ~ I'm just not sure whether this was done via CC or what...

Are your presets setup in a similar arrangement? So it's 15 presets for electric, 15 for acoustic, 15 for electric, etc.? If that's the case, then it's just a simple bank size setting on the MFC. If that's not the case it's more complicated as it's all custom bank setup on the MFC.

To set it back to bank size 15:

Enter EDIT mode
Hit switch 5 to go to the SETUP area
Press switch 7 to move RIGHT through the options 6 times until the screen says BankSize
Press the UP switch until it says 15 for the BankSize value
Exit EDIT mode to save the changes

The two IAs are easily programmed. Are they only controlling Delay 1 and Drive 1? I can give more specific instructions with that information. The settings are under the MIDI menu on the MFC (switch 4). You want to go right 7 times to get to the IA Axe-Fx Functions page on this menu. And then use the parameter left/right buttons and the up/down buttons to set IA 16 to DELAY 1 and IA 17 to DRIVE 1 (or what ever you want them to control). IA 16 is the switch closest to the display, IA 17 is to the right of IA 16.

Thanks for all the help guys! Fortunately, if I need to, I can use my spare setup which has remained untouched (in ND band storage) for the last two years, and should be working fine. Question: If needs be for this tour, would it be possible to load the contents of my spare setup into the updated one I have at home so they will function the same (for now)?

Thanks for all the help guys! Fortunately, if I need to, I can use my spare setup which has remained untouched (in ND band storage) for the last two years, and should be working fine. Question: If needs be for this tour, would it be possible to load the contents of my spare setup into the updated one I have at home so they will function the same (for now)?

Yup. You can do a unit-to-unit dump as long as they're the same models (AFII -> AFII, AFIIXL -> AFIIXL, MFC-101 mkII -> MFC-101 mkII, MFC-101 mkIII -> MFC-101 MkIII).

ND going to make to the bay area any time soon?

Concerning specific tour plans, my lips must remain sealed for now, sorry. It's a long-standing policy...

Concerning my dilemma: Are you saying that by simply dumping/loading from one unit to another, the units will become identical (even though the units being 'updated' are currently running more modern firmware)?

Concerning my dilemma: Are you saying that by simply dumping/loading from one unit to another, the units will become identical (even though the units being 'updated' are currently running more modern firmware)?

Oh, sorry, I thought they had the same firmware. You wouldn't want to do a unit-to-unit dump on disparate firmware. Wouldn't be good. But you can load the newer firmware on the units sporting the old firmware and then do a unit-to-unit dump and they'll become identical.

It's been awhile but I believe you could restore your old backup file. The catch is you would need to remap your IAs as their index has changed between firmware revisions.

Since your previous version was firmware 2.xx you could also load your existing backup file in Fedit, use the upgrade button, save to a new file, then send it back to the MFC with Fractalbot.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom