Help! Jbl lsr305 vs PreSonus Eris 5

Just paid for my Ax8 and should be here next week. I'm tight on cash right now and need something for home playing.

Every review I read about the JBL's is positive but Cliff himself recommended the Presonus Eris on another thread.... Also they are smaller.

So which are the best cheap monitors for home playing? Also want to translate well to different PA systems when playing live... I'll use the Ax8 direct or/and with my EVH head/cab live.

Thanks!

Don't know about the JBLs. Have a pair of Eris E8. They are fine for playing and general checking of how presets sound. No monitors will give you perfect representation of how different PAs sound. But they are usable.

Wow nice price but I'm in europe...:( At this point I'm sure both sound good. But people experienced with this two monitors seems to favour the JBLs, so thats my first option right now, also they look cooler:D. But they are rear ported and someone sugested not to buy a rear ported one...
Any of you have experience with both monitors? Or you can compare the Eris with any other monitor? (Also I'm looking for 5'' monitors, is there big difference with 8''?)

Last edited:
I can't speak to the JBL or Eris speakers, but I had 5" and 8" front ported KRK speakers and there was a massive difference to me. The 5" were so weak and small sounding compared to the 8".

I see you guys with the Eris have the 8'' and they are almost twice as expensive... I have to make a decision and order today or tomorrow. I don't want to have my AX8 and no monitors :eek:

I see you guys with the Eris have the 8'' and they are almost twice as expensive...

For playing, definitely go for 8". Small speakers will not give you proper representation of low end, so you'll end up with presets that are too bassy, and, more importantly, aren't half as much fun to play into.

I have to make a decision and order today or tomorrow. I don't want to have my AX8 and no monitors

Well, it seems that Presonus Eris E8 is a good choice for a pair of low budget speakers. Which is what people are telling you here. Yet you want the small JBL ones because they are cheaper and look cooler. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's not that by repeating the question people will start recommending those over 8 inch monitors. :) You have to decide whether to trust the other forum members or go with your personal preference/budget and whatever reviews you've read. :)

Oh, and if that's totally beyond your budget, consider getting a pair of used monitors. You may get something better than E8s for a smaller price maybe.

Thanks a lot guys. Finally ordered the JBL's.
I went for the JBL's because I've read every review on the internet and every lsr vs eris thread and 99% of guys prefers the first ones.
I was looking for direct comparisons, I have no doubt that the eris are very good speakers and maybe for whatever reason good match with the Fractal.

vangrieg, I can assure you, that my decision was not based on looking cooler.
I was also looking for used monitors, but nothing in my area and were not cheap...

Anyway, only for playing at home, nothing serious and I was overthinking...

Thanks.

Finally ordered the JBL's.

:)

I went for the JBL's because I've read every review on the internet and every lsr vs eris thread and 99% of guys prefers the first ones.

I can bet those reviews weren't assessing speakers from the viewpoint of playing guitar, and those threads weren't about lsr 305 vs E8 which is what most people here tend to suggest. Size matters in this case. For mixing in a small room 5" monitors might be better. For playing guitar with at least some of that cab-like feeling, you need more low end, and for low end you need bigger speakers, that's just physics.

Anyway, it's not that you made a decision you'll regret for the rest of your life or something - I'm sure those jbls are fine speakers. One way to deal with small size speakers if you ever find them inadequate may be to get a 10" sub later on - if calibrated properly, it can be even better than a pair of 8" monitors, and a more flexible setup.

Enjoy your purchases!

Back
Top Bottom