Help! Installed new drivers, now Axe won't work with Pro Tools

Poparad

Power User
I've been using my AxeFX II as my Pro Tools 10 interface since I got it back in December, without any issues (using Windows 7). I upgraded to the newest drivers (v1.68 ), and now everything's gone to hell and won't work. When I try to select the AxeFX as my playback engine, it either tells me that the "Interface could not be initialized" or, most often, that "The ASIO settings have been changed by the device control panel and Pro Tools must restart." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools, the 1.68 drivers, the 1.67 drivers, the old 1.5 drivers I was using, and I even attempted to do a Windows system restore to earlier this week before my upgrade, but it restored everything but my Axe drivers. I'm in the middle of a big recording project and now I can't use my Axe to do any more guitar work. I've been at this for 8 hours today and I can't figure out what's going wrong.

ASIO4All doesn't work. If I select the Axe within that, I get exactly the same error messages. I can't even get past the Pro Tools load screen like this. I don't understand how everything could be fine for 8 months and now be completely broken.

Well, I think I discovered the culprit: I had a patch selected on the Axe that's CPU intensive, so with the USB plugged in, it was hovering around 95%. Apparently launching Pro Tools with this patch selected was too much for it. Simply changing to the next patch over with fewer effects, and thus a lower CPU load, fixed it.

Thanks for relay that information. I would never thought to ask about CPU levels and connecting to Protools.

Back
Top Bottom