Help in understanding Pre/Power-Amp Clipping

So, I'm a new Axe FX II user and I decided to study from wiki.fractalaudio everything about the Amp Block, as I want to be able to use the unit with high efficiency.

And I'm trying to understand the following paragraph (that I've attached), but I get confused...

Does the negative feedback affect the preamp or the power amp clipping??

I have highlighted some sentences which mention that negative feedback affect both clipping stages, but does it make sense to affect both of them?

I would be glad if anyone could help me understand this specific paragraph and how the clipping occurs. What is "the path" that it follows and which parameters affect it?

Thanks in advance,
George

Attachments

• it doesnt make sense.PNG
    it doesnt make sense.PNG
    247.5 KB · Views: 7
Someone with more information can chime in to correct this if necessary, but I believe in most cases when people talk about negative feedback with the Axe-Fx it's referring to the power amp. The sentence right after your first red underlined section mentions that any preamp negative feedback is hardcoded and not exposed to the user.

I'm not sure if the contents of the following thread have been duplicated in the wiki, but it has some very good information:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/about-negative-feedback.79697/

EDIT: I'll expand on that a bit more and say that the various amp models have different preamp negative feedback configurations that contribute to the inherent character of the preamp clipping, but any negative feedback-related adjustments that can be made on the Axe are in the power amp section.

Last edited:
The Neg Feedback parameter is placed on the Power Amp page, so that would be a clue ...

Back
Top Bottom