Help! I'm covered in bees!

Satangelo

Inspired
Hi all,
It's just since a couple of weeks I've a very annoying and very loud hum noise coming from my AXEII.
I've searched the forum for suggestions and tried many solutions (swapped cables, guitars, power cables and power sources, changed patches and settings, changed position between me and rig, switched on and off ligths and other devices in the basement) and find this situation.
Axe without guitar cable connected= no noise ;-) - Axe with proper cable connected , very little to no noise, guitar connected on a side of the rig, audible noise but no problem because the patch is medium hi gain, when I hit the strings the noise become very prominent.
It is a ground problem for sure because if I try put a naked feet onto a cement pavement outside the basement (where there is a moquette) the noise go away.
Then probably it is not a good idea for me to play with my feet naked onto the pavement LOL so any suggestion to bypass the problem?
I've also played alot with gate but the necessary settings to cancel the noise are too heavy and partially destroied the feeling with the guitar.
Any solutions?

Thanks

ANgelo

Hard to tell but I'd start first by swapping your instrument cable, and also checking the wiring on your guitar's jack - maybe the shielding connection came loose? - edit whoops, saw you've already tried that....

Last edited:
if you take all your stuff and move it to another venue or your friends place or whatever with the same setup, its still the same?
if its your basement/house itself that is the problem, perhaps need to hire some guy to look into the wiring/grounding etc (at least for safety reasons. You might get a hell of a electric shock one day bro)!!

Edit!
from your post I think i can understand that it was ok before without noise or??
If so, what changed in the house/basement? new other appliances or?

Last edited:
if you take all your stuff and move it to another venue or your friends place or whatever with the same setup, its still the same?
its your basement/house itself that is the problem? perhaps need to hire some guy to look into the wiring/grounding etc

Yep I agree with this statement. That is the only thing that hasn't changed in your scenario. Out of curiosity does the Noise Gate diminish the noise?

Try using different outlets, get an extension cord from another room and try that ..
do you have a computer nearby? or a tv set ... well very basic stuff but sometimes
the solution is so easy one fail to see it (or at least I do sometimes)

:)

let us know how it works out for you

//Kenneth

Thank you all for answers!
@ Guitarabuse and Stringmanipulator
I was in another venue last weekend and first outlet tried was a nightmare then found another one a little better but still more noise than previous time in the same place. Also tried an extension cord in the basement but no luck.
It is not my house so, and this can be the point, I really don't know if something important has changed upstairs!
I have a computer nearby but evn disconneting it nothing change sigh!

@ Scottburrow
The noisegate worked its dirty job but at a level that I was not confident about the sustain even at very high gain level!

The strange thing is that the noise come to be very noisy (.....) only when I touch the strings.
Is it possible that I'm a cyborg and I'm not aware of? :eek:

@ Drama
no active

"The strange thing is that the noise come to be very noisy (.....) only when I touch the strings.Is it possible that I'm a cyborg and I'm not aware of?"

If you have problem with the grounding in your guitar this can happen. Do a search on the web for grounding problems, especially when the hot and ground wire have been interchanged.

"

Thanks Cliff, I was thinking to something like this but it seems to me so strange that I overcome that.
If you think that it is a real possibility I will send the unit to G66 to check it out, or better I try to swap the home unit with the reharsal unit to check if there is a difference.

@Jeppe
Thanks, but not possible on all 5 my guitars at the same time! ;-)

In fact i'm asking help on the forum because I've tried so many different things that i'm getting out of fantasy!

I would like to thank Cliff because he was spot on on my hum problem!
In fact swapping home unit with reharsal unit pull the problem out.
It almost seems that father knows very well his daugther! Kudos!
I'm now sending humming unit to G66 for maintenance

Ciao

Angelo

I'm happy it worked out, and hopefully you will be on track again rapidly.
In my experience noise when toughing strings are always some kind of ground
related thing usually a bad wire/cable :)

It's nice to know that FSA handles these matters quickly

:p

//Kenneth

I was on the same idea, when it showed out to be a ground problem for sure I swapped four different cables and five guitars to be sure that the problem was in another point, but never thought to an internal bad ground.
Cliff jumped in and said "you have a bad ground inside the unit" so swapped two AXE and voilà problem found!

It's just awesome havong the creator amongst the enthusiasts, helping them out. Where else do you have something like this?

Not my problem, but still want to give a big kudos to Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom