Help Identifying Guitar Pick

Fro

Experienced
Hi All,

Like most of you, I have piles of picks scattered all around the house. Well I stumbled across one the other day that I like quite a bit, but it has no markings on it that I recognize, and no brand name. It's the only one I have that's like it, and I have no idea where it came from. I'd like to order more, but I need to figure out what it is first. It's nylon-like, and I would say about .60 mm in thickness. If anyone has seen one like this before and can help identify it, that would be awesome and most appreciated.

Thanks!

UnknownPick.jpg

Looks like some kind of knock-off of a Herco nylon pick. Different markings, but I'll bet it plays the same.

I tried doing some more homework- if i had to guess it's a D’Andrea Nylon pick
They make similar picks under the name BRAIN

And obviously The Edge uses Herdim German Nylon picks

I'm guessing it was one of those two companies models they don't make any more

BUT- they both match identical to The Edge and Bono's old picks from 2005 or so

Last edited:
UnknownPick.jpg

The logo is definitely Yamaha.

Sorry, that's incorrect. Yamaha's logo is 3 tuning forks, overlapping.

As mentioned, the Brain Cat's Tongue picks are similar and are worth checking out. I've tried them and they are extra grippy. I'm just not really a nylon pick guy so I went back to the pizza slice ultex.

Last edited:
Finished doing a little more research, and they are definitely Mel Bay guitar picks, which were manufactured by a company called G&G. I believe that Mel Bay sold the mold to a company in Texas who are no longer in business (that might be G&G). Mel Bay is now making them again, and I did order some. I haven't received them yet. But from what I've read, the nylon isn't quite the same as the vintage picks. No worries though, I'm sure they will be fine, and it is just a pick, right?

If anyone has a chance to try the real thing, you'll be surprised at how nice they actually are. I have a pile of about 50 different kinds of picks, all shapes and sized from various manufacturers, and this one just felt the best out of all of them. That's why I started the search. I'll just have to settle for my #2 choice then. If anyone has a lead on where to get some of the vintage picks, let me know. I'm mainly looking for the black ones. I see the green and blue picks on Reverb right now, but those are the thin picks.

I also found a video of someone going through the various Mel Bay picks. You may find it interesting if you are a vintage pick enthusiast. You can find some interesting things in old guitar cases stashed in closets. An often overlooked part of our musical heritage.

As mentioned, the Brain Cat's Tongue picks are similar and are worth checking out. I've tried them and they are extra grippy. I'm just not really a nylon pick guy so I went back to the pizza slice ultex.

Thanks for the tip. The Brain Snarling Dogs picks were actually my second choice, tied with the standard Dunlop Nylon. (FWIW, I also like Jazz III's for the other side of the spectrum). I've used the Brain picks off and on for a couple of years. They are similar to the Mel Bay, at least close enough. Side by side though, you do notice a difference. The Mel Bay are a little stiffer and brighter in tone, but it is splitting hairs. I see people on Amazon make similar comments about the Snarling Dog picks, where the quality of nylon isn't the same as it used to be when they first came out. I wonder if the Cat's Tongue are a little closer to the Mel Bay, or exactly the same as the Snarling Dog? I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!

Sorry, that's incorrect. Yamaha's logo is 3 tuning forks, overlapping.

After using a magnifying glass I agree with you, I was incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom