HELP // I WANT THAT CHUNKY "Duff McKagan" ROCK BASS TONE

Emanuel

Hey guys, hope all is well I'm struggling to get a chunky Bass tone. Like a Sansamp/Duff McKagan style tone.
Duff uses GK amps which aren't modelled I don't think and I just don't know how to get the SVT sim sounding good. Also tried the Citrus.
I'm using an Epiphone Thunderbird Bass
Anyone have any chunky bass presets they wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers,

This is the tone I'm talking about...

I'm aware of the Chorus :p

Try two paths running in parallel. One is a "clean" tone and one is an overdriven tone and then blend those two together. Use a mixer block and you can blend how much of the clean and dirty sound you want. That's usually a good way to get a nice thick rock bass tone.

I like his bass tone too, although it's a 'sometimes food'. It's definitely a two-pickup, both-on-full-up sound; you won't get it with a single-pickup bass, you really do need a P+J.

Regarding bass in the Axe, really just about any guitar amp will work fine for bass if you approach the setup properly. There's plenty of shaping tools in the box.

I just got your PM :). I'll give this a go this week and will post a preset that should give you a starting point. I don't own a T-bird at all. If I recall, the Epi's are especially dark sounding, which I don't really have an analog of here, so you'll likely have a bit of adjusting to do. But, it'll be in the ballpark. I've worked with enough people to get a pretty OK G-K type tone from the Axe, though it takes a lot of work. Would be great if those amps (and other great bass amps) were just modeled already.

I just got your PM :). I'll give this a go this week and will post a preset that should give you a starting point. I don't own a T-bird at all. If I recall, the Epi's are especially dark sounding, which I don't really have an analog of here, so you'll likely have a bit of adjusting to do. But, it'll be in the ballpark. I've worked with enough people to get a pretty OK G-K type tone from the Axe, though it takes a lot of work. Would be great if those amps (and other great bass amps) were just modeled already.
It is a rather dark sounding bass for sure. Your help would be greatly appreciate!
I run an Axe Fx II Mk II so if you're using an XL or XL+ it might be a problem

I've worked with enough people to get a pretty OK G-K type tone from the Axe, though it takes a lot of work.
Hey, selta. Would you mind sharing some settings or a preset? I've been trying to get a G-K type sound out of the Axe and would love to see your take on it. Anything in the RB series is what I'm going for. Thanks.

P.S. I have OwnHammer's Ampg Bass multiple cabinet IR library. Also, looking into getting the two G-K cabs from 3 Sigma Audio.

Hey, selta. Would you mind sharing some settings or a preset? I've been trying to get a G-K type sound out of the Axe and would love to see your take on it. Anything in the RB series is what I'm going for. Thanks.

P.S. I have OwnHammer's Ampg Bass multiple cabinet IR library. Also, looking into getting the two G-K cabs from 3 Sigma Audio.
I have an 8 scene preset in this collection called Appetite for Rock Bass, along with IR's that may fit what you are looking for: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Dr_Bonkers_Silver_Black_Bass_Collection_Vol_2_p/fas-801-0027.htm

I've never played a GK 410T cab. How does it compare to the GK 410 RBH?

Do you have any sound clips of your cab pack? Thanks.

I can cook a sample clip up tomorrow if no one else on the forum has any handy sample to post. The cabs are similar. Main difference is no tweeter in the 410t.

If you believe some studio lore, the bass sound of Appetite was sometimes not even a GK cab, but was instead a 2X15 Acoustic cab which is featured in my other cab pack, luckily enough. One mention is here but there are other references too: http://www.dutchdemocracy.com/new_forum/index.php?topic=5567.0

Here some samples of the first cab pack (clips labelled Mystery Cab pack): https://soundcloud.com/dr-bonkers-1

Last edited:
I can cook a sample clip up tomorrow if no one else on the forum has any handy sample to post. The cabs are similar. Main difference is no tweeter in the 410t.

If you believe some studio lore, the bass sound of Appetite was sometimes not even a GK cab, but was instead a 2X15 Acoustic cab which is featured in my other cab pack, luckily enough. One mention is here but there are other references too:

Here some samples of the first cab pack (labelled Mystery Cab pack):
Thanks for the info. The clip that I liked the best was the last one that had the bass solo'd. Almost sounds like a Ric. Pretty cool. I'd love to hear a sound clip of the GK to compare, so I can decide on which pack I like the best.

Thanks for the info. The clip that I liked the best was the last one that had the bass solo'd. Almost sounds like a Ric. Pretty cool. I'd love to hear a sound clip of the GK to compare, so I can decide on which pack I like the best.
Sorry it took so long, but maybe these will help. Yes I am using a Rick 4003.

Unfortunately I don't have the chops to pull off Paradise City right now as I screwed up a forearm tendon again building something, but these will give you some tonality ideas.

All guitars and basses in this track used GK 410t Bass Cab IR's from the Dr Bonkers Silver & Black Collection Vol. 2. http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Dr_Bonkers_Silver_Black_Bass_Collection_Vol_2_p/fas-801-0027.htm

You will hear the instruments in a mix context, then each instrument will be soloed in the following order:

1. Amp + cab together
2. Amp only
3. Cab only

These particular IR mixes have PZM ir added to the mix, I call it Hypereal, in order to give the instruments dimension and more of the cabinet's character.

All tracks are only dry amp blocks and cab blocks with no other signal processing or post recording sweetening.

Hey guys, hope all is well I'm struggling to get a chunky Bass tone. Like a Sansamp/Duff McKagan style tone.
Duff uses GK amps which aren't modelled I don't think and I just don't know how to get the SVT sim sounding good. Also tried the Citrus.
I'm using an Epiphone Thunderbird Bass
Anyone have any chunky bass presets they wouldn't mind sharing?
I think I have somehting that may even get you closer to your goal now: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...based-upon-a-gallien-krueger®-410rbh™.129420/

Back
Top Bottom