HELP - how to simply add global Whammy pedal to Axe-Fx 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos83p

All - I'm really hoping someone can help me with this simple objective that I cannot find any information on how to solve.

OBJECTIVE: Imagine one bought a whammy pedal and plugged it in their current amp or rack. It would add whammy whenever depressed - - regardless of what channel or patch the amp/had running.

I want to do this with my Axe-Fx 3 setup - and this simple idea is beyond complicated on how to accomplish for me. I just want to use the factory Axe-Fx3 patches...and have whammy applied to them whenever I step on the pedal. I don't want to deal with scenes (unless I HAVE to), I don't want to deal with creating new patches (unless I HAVE to), I just want the whammy pedal to work when I depress it - - on any AxeFx3 factory patch. I am GUESSING the Axe FX lingo for this is "adding a Global block for PITCH and assigning that effect to be controlled by my pedal, and bypassed when not". That's a guess - if wrong, please correct me. However, I can't find anything on how to accomplish this.

The pedal is a Mission SP-1 pedal (spring loaded). Can someone please point me to how I get this "Global Pitch Block" added to all the factory patches AND how I configure it so that it only activates when I touch the whammy pedal? i.e. - otherwise, completed bypassed so does not affect current selected tone/patch. I'd like the pitch block to be a 1 octave shift higher.

Again, so frustrated at this point that I would pay someone to help with this. This is only 1 of several things I would think should 'simple', yet can't figure out. Help greatly appreciated from this community!

Blocks cannot be added globally. You will have to add the desired block to each preset and link it to a global block separately. Global blocks in the Axe FX are simply saved settings for a particular block that can be recalled and added to any given preset. You can have them either stay linked to the global block (where changes to the global block itself will be reflected in every preset that has it linked), or you can just add it to the preset independently. Either way you still have to manually add the block in question to the preset.

Also, global blocks do not include modifier settings, so even with a global pitch block for whammy, you'd have to set up the modifier for the expression pedal and auto engage settings (if desired) for each preset separately as well.

Page 88 in the manual is the place to start.

Last edited:
Not possible. There are no global effects in the Axe-Fx III, except for "global volume". The preset is the basis for sounds. You have to put a Pitch block in each preset.

The III does have Global blocks, but that's something else. It means, for example, that you can adjust Pitch settings in one preset and have other presets with the same global Pitch block automatically apply those settings. But the presets still have to have that Pitch block in them.

it would also be quite a challenge to make a global effect as there is no way for the axe to know where in the chain to put it.

Reactions: yek
Wow....

1) thank you all for responding, I appreciate it.
2) Great design Fractal. Any $100 pedal can do the above.

So let me get this straight. To get my whammy pedal working with the Axe Fx 3 factory presets, I'll need to manually edit ~400 presets to add a pitch block after the input. Then, I'll need to figure out how to assign my pedal somehow (a modifier/auto-engage setting per MrFender's advise) and perform that operation another ~400 times? That is simply crazy. It also introduces the challenge of 'managing and reconciling user presets' every time they update them (what changed? what's gone? what new / needs a pitch block added?)....which is a game I didn't want to play. Uhhhh...

it would also be quite a challenge to make a global effect as there is no way for the axe to know where in the chain to put it.

I would think this is something that could be simply defined, in the software. Insert <Pitch Block> after <Input> and a checkbox "Apply to all presets". Then again, what do I know - I'm struggling with very basic AxeFx features - let alone the more intricate things I'd like to do with this unit. Thanks for the comment.

I would think this is something that could be simply defined, in the software. Insert <Pitch Block> after <Input> and a checkbox "Apply to all presets". Then again, what do I know - I'm struggling with very basic AxeFx features - let alone the more intricate things I'd like to do with this unit. Thanks for the comment.
The problem with this lies in the fact that all presets are not built the same, and may have something already in place in that first spot after the input.

The grid allows a lot of flexibility for building presets, but the cost is making global changes across them all is a bit more work.

So let me get this straight. To get my whammy pedal working with the Axe Fx 3 factory presets, I'll need to manually edit ~400 presets to add a pitch block after the input. Then, I'll need to figure out how to assign my pedal somehow (a modifier/auto-engage setting per MrFender's advise) and perform that operation another ~400 times? That is simply crazy. It also introduces the challenge of 'managing and reconciling user presets' every time they update them (what changed? what's gone? what new / needs a pitch block added?)....which is a game I didn't want to play. Uhhhh...
Well, to ease the pain a little, if you use AxeEdit3 to do the work, you can set up the Whammy block once and get it working the way you like, then hit ctrl-C or cmd-C, and go to each of the other presets and paste it in with the controller/modifier link already in place.

You can also make the Whammy block a Global Block after it is placed in each preset, so that the settings changes and tweaks you make get duplicated across all 400 or so presets. The only settings that don't get duplicated in a global block are the controller/modifier settings, but all the rest of its settings will stay in sync.

Yes, it IS a great design.

Please tell me some $100 pedals that can do what the Axe Fx does and how they magically know where in your effect chain you want to place your Whammy.

I'll wait ;)
I'm struggling with very basic AxeFx features
Try reading the manual. It's very well written and will make many things clear.

The amp could be the middle ground. Have a global before amp and after. Just another option. Wouldn’t necessarily work for everyone but could for some.

Once you get your wah and whammy blocks set the way you want them, save them in the Block Library. Then it's just a matter of placing a wah or pitch block and selecting the specific wah or whammy you want.

You're going to be surprised what the Axe is capable of once you get past the "I used to do it this way" or "why can't I do this" phase.

Wow....

Unfortunately, the AxeFX III can't read minds (yet, I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff would add mind reading in a future update ;) ). The only thing (well, mostly) that you can add globally to affect all presets in this manner is global volume for an output. It would be nigh impossible to predict what every user or potential user would want to add globally to all presets in whatever manner they choose. I don't know how one would code an algorithm to predict all the multitudes of effects and what presets we want to add them to and in what matter with what settings. Thats basically infinite amount of variables. You will have to adjust presets to your taste and add effects that you need.

Instead, you can build a a basic preset with a whammy pedal and copy that preset into as many slots as you plan on using or save it as a user block and add it in whatever presets you would like to use. It's much faster than you think.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just get a whammy pedal? The AxeFXIII cant do this globally. What if you want the sweep different for a particular preset, or for another you find it sounds better after the cab?
Presets exist as starting points for creating your own sounds and to demo the capabilities of the unit. I suggest taking your time, checking out the presets, seeing what inspires you and then create a template with whatever you know you’ll always use as a starting point for writing your own presets.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just get a whammy pedal? The AxeFXIII cant do this globally. What if you want the sweep different for a particular preset, or for another you find it sounds better after the cab?
Presets exist as starting points for creating your own sounds and to demo the capabilities of the unit. I suggest taking your time, checking out the presets, seeing what inspires you and then create a template with whatever you know you’ll always use as a starting point for writing your own presets.

For sure, if you want a whammy in front of everything going in to the AxeFX, just buy a whammy pedal.

I suppose in theory it could be possible to have some kind of "global pre-" and "global post-" chain in future. Could be cool. But there's no such thing in the AxeFX today.

Last edited:
@chaos83p why this aversion against presets and scenes? And why this focus on one of the very very few little things AF-III can't do? I don't get it. For me this is the second best thing I ever bought in my life (first one is my guitar).

I understand your frustration, but really - 400 presets? You use 400 presets? I’m using 10, maybe 12 tops and would have trouble using 25 different presets in a show.

I don't think is just that simple as "put a global whammy" option as it is with the volume, and it's not about FAS' design capabilities. If there's any other Amp sim & Fx processor that can do exactly what you're asking, then I'm really curious to check it out. Honestly, if you need that bad to have that setup, you're better off getting a whammy and either put it on your board or in a rack and controlling it via MIDI.

I'm on the option of create your perfect whammy, save the block and insert in as many presets as you want... I'd bet you'll finish sooner than you're breaking your head searching for the 'perfect' gear that can do it 'as you want'.

Bottom line, anything worth having requires effort. I can get 'a pizza' delivered by any number of different pizzarias, but I will drive 45 minutes from north Phoenix to Mesa for Amici Pizza....

Wow....

I don't know any other multi effects unit or modeler that can do what you want. The idea is good though.

Wow....

Seriously? Show me one $100 pedal that does this... you sound like an entitled child. Buy a real whammy off you want, they are more than $100 and sucks your tone. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom