Help....Hooking Up a Little Alligator Volume Pedal

Can’t seem to figure this one out.

With a regular amp I can run the Little Alligator in the Effects Loop as a Volume Control.

With the AX8, I create an Effects Loop Block and put it Post Amplifier. I run the FX Send from the Ax8 to the Input of the Little Alligator. I run the Little Alligator Output back into the FX Return on the AX8.

Enable the FX Loop but the LA does not control the volume.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Does the LA work as expected if you connect it after guitar, before AX8?

Can you post the preset and/or a picture of the grid from AX8 display or AX8-Edit?

Does the LA work as expected if you connect it after guitar, before AX8?
Yes, the LA works correctly when placed between the guitar and the AX8. However, since it is before the "amp", the effect is more like a guitar volume. I'm looking for a post amp master volume to control the signal level into my amplified FRFR.

The preset or screenshot Bakerman asked for will help us help you. I assume the FX Loop block is in series and not in its own row?

I tried the FX Loop Block both ways - 1) In Series & 2) Parallel. Neither worked.

I'm going to try a different approach - put the volume pedal between the output of the AX8 & the input of the XiTone Powered FRFR.

I tried the FX Loop Block both ways - 1) In Series & 2) Parallel. Neither worked.

I'm going to try a different approach - put the volume pedal between the output of the AX8 & the input of the XiTone Powered FRFR.
That should definitely work. But the other way should have worked as well. A screenshot of AX8-Edit showing the grid and the FX Loop block settings will help us diagnose.

Make sure your out put 2 knob is turned up. Your using it as a physical pedal right nor an expression pedal so the signal has to go through the pedal. The block should be in series and the volumpedal should work.

Output 2 knob is attached to the effects loop.

I'd make life far easier, and more versatile, but ditching the hardware volume pedal, getting a basic expression pedal, hook it up to the Ax8 and have it control the volume level, or even a volume block, which you can position anywhere you want, on a per patch basis, not to mention have control over the taper, range etc of the effect.

Want pre-amp block volume one patch, want it post amp, but pre-delay the next, done. Want it to go from 0-50% one patch, 0-100% the next ? Done. Want a real smooth linear sweep one patch, a fast swell the next ? Done. Totally flexible

With the hardware pedal, your having to run audio in and out of the Axe, plus giving up your fx loop, and your limited to how the volume pedal behaves.... Just no real benefits IMO

I'd make life far easier, and more versatile, but ditching the hardware volume pedal, getting a basic expression pedal, hook it up to the Ax8 and have it control the volume level, or even a volume block, which you can position anywhere you want, on a per patch basis, not to mention have control over the taper, range etc of the effect.

Besides the EV-1/2 Pedals, what’s a good, readily available expression pedal?

Back
Top Bottom