Help getting percussive tones?

stm113

Power User
Ive played with the same guitarist in church the last couple of weeks, I use my AF2 and he uses an AC30. One thing that strikes me about his tone is that his amp has this percussive quality to the beginning of the note or attack. Almost like a hit before the note makes it to your ear. Its the same thing I experienced playing a Soldano SL-60 a while ago and believe it or not I had an ISP decimator pedal that kinda did that too, it was stolen a couple of years ago though. I think its really what I'm missing out on mostly with my tones. What (if any) parameters would help me dial this into my patches? Or would the compressor block be what i need?

Thanks for any help guys

Well Ive been using the Shiver Clean, to give me a good clean base thats still warm and have been using the BB Pre drive block for dirt and the Rukus for lead lines (that drive block just really sings in my opinion) I have tried the Hiwatt, Matchless D30 (or whatever it is) and one of the Divided by 13 models. Outside of church I am a high gain guy so I'm really curious in a general sense what parameter(s) can help me dial in a percussive attack in any or most amps.

Ive played with the same guitarist in church the last couple of weeks, I use my AF2 and he uses an AC30. One thing that strikes me about his tone is that his amp has this percussive quality to the beginning of the note or attack. Almost like a hit before the note makes it to your ear. Its the same thing I experienced playing a Soldano SL-60 a while ago and believe it or not I had an ISP decimator pedal that kinda did that too, it was stolen a couple of years ago though. I think its really what I'm missing out on mostly with my tones. What (if any) parameters would help me dial this into my patches? Or would the compressor block be what i need?

Thanks for any help guys

Have you played your guitar through the other guitarists amp? If Yes, does your guitar have the same characteristics through the amp?

Do you have any recordings as examples of the tone you're after?

Apples and oranges. An AC-30 is all about power amp breakup and cathode squish. Cathode squish acts as a sort of compressor. A Shiva is a much different animal.

Are you comparing what you hear on stage, or the micd sound? I've noticed that when playing through anything but a real amp removes much of that percussive feel which I guess is part of the 'amp in the room' thing that gets so much discussion.

I'd try the Plexi model and turn up the input gain to at least 6. Marshalls have tons of attack and immediacy which should suit your needs.

Back
Top Bottom