Help! Fractal Bot Froze

Discussion in 'Fractal-Bot' started by KW1234, Jul 14, 2017.

1. KW1234

KW1234
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I tried to back my Axe-FX like I've done a few times. Now Fractal Bot has been "receiving Bank A" for 15 minutes and nothing happens. Axe-FX display shows a text "Bank Transfer in progress". At first the leds changed but now nothing happens either. I had a Rocktron Midi Mate connected to the Midi In port when I started the update but I'm 100% sure I didn't push any MM buttons by accident.

I have a gig tonight where I have to use the Axe-Fx, can I just quit the Fractal Bot while the backup is not complete or does this do harm to the Axe-FX?

2. maxdown

maxdown
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I don't think you've any choice but to abort the backup and try again. Maybe disconnect the Midi Mate next time you try the backup.

You could also try backing up the Banks individually - so if there's maybe a corrupt preset in a Bank stopping the transfer then you'll know which Bank it lives in.

3. jarabuandi

jarabuandi
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

What @maxdown said. Quit Fractal Bot, backup one bank at the time and disconnect what you don't need. Backing up all at once never really worked for me and gave up long time ago.

4. KW1234

KW1234
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I quit Fractal Bot and after that shut down the Axe-Fx. All my presets seem to work fine. I'll try backing up tomorrow, I can't risk the Axe-Fx getting messed up. It seems crazy if backing up all at once wouldn't work.

5. maxdown

maxdown
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

It would be very rare if you managed to delete anything from the AxeFX doing a backup - it's all just one way traffic.

Backing up everything in one go can depend on how your USB is behaving - if it gets congested then it will probably stall. You can play around with the buffer settings but saving one Bank at a time is not such a major task.

It's all MIDI via USB as well - so having another MIDI device attached at the same time is perhaps adding to the possibilities of a fail.

My thinking is I'd rather have it sensitive to failing than risk the possiblity of a corrupted backup.

6. jarabuandi

jarabuandi
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

As @maxdown said you won't mess up the Axe-Fx because of a backup... and I found it's way faster than sitting there with my fingers x-ed hoping all goes well. Not worst the the hassle.

7. KW1234

KW1234
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Are these two mutually exclusive?

8. maxdown

maxdown
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

No idea .... I've never had a problem with restoring from backups so I'm going to assume if FractalBot does it's job without error messages then all is good.

Let's face the immediate facts here ...... something in your system isn't allowing you to backup all banks at once so you've a choice - don't backup or try doing it a Bank at a time. I know which one I'd do.

The net amount of time difference between backing up all Banks and doing each Bank individually is the amount of time it takes you to select each Bank in FB and click go.

Try selecting 2 Banks at a time if you want

Once the first goal of getting a backup is done you can then investigate any reasons why the all at one time isn't working

9. KW1234

KW1234
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Sure, backing up in any way is better than not backing up. I have to admit, I have to slightly adjust my angle on this thing. After all, the Axe-Fx is not a tube amp or some simple piece of analog gear but a computer with all it's benefits and possible problems. I'll try today doing it in segments and see if it works. Thanks for the help so far!