Help for an old newbie

Roy J

I just received my FM9 (my first Fractal product) and have gone thru all the presets and have found the ones that I think would be useful for a live rig but can't figure out how to make that happen. I've read the manuals completely, searched the forums and watched numerous YouTube videos but can't wrap my brain around how to make this happen. My thought is to take the presets (along with the scene number) I like and assign them to different banks so that I can have one bank for cleans, one for rock and one for metal. I'm hoping for an easy solution since all the different terminology is very confusing to my old brain. Presets, scenes, per presets, banks, CCs, modifiers, blocks, etc. etc. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't tried using FM9 Edit yet but will try to connect today and see what happens.

I just received my FM9 (my first Fractal product) and have gone thru all the presets and have found the ones that I think would be useful for a live rig but can't figure out how to make that happen. I've read the manuals completely, searched the forums and watched numerous YouTube videos but can't wrap my brain around how to make this happen. My thought is to take the presets (along with the scene number) I like and assign them to different banks so that I can have one bank for cleans, one for rock and one for metal. I'm hoping for an easy solution since all the different terminology is very confusing to my old brain. Presets, scenes, per presets, banks, CCs, modifiers, blocks, etc. etc. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't tried using FM9 Edit yet but will try to connect today and see what happens.
So do you want to make some presets grouped into cleans, rock and metal? Or would you like to make a live setlist group that actually allows you to change sounds according to the songs in your setlist?

I'm happy with the presets that come stock with the FM9. As I look at the switches when it first boots up, I'm thinking that I can just switch the presets that are there with the ones that like but haven't been able to achieve this yet. I really don't want to start making anything from scratch since I can't even understand the basics yet. I'm looking to have one bank that can change sounds for different songs or parts of songs such as switching from rhythm to lead tones.

Thanks. I just tried to hook the FM9 to my computer but I don't have a cable with the proper connections.

Once you are able to connect, Go to manage presets.
From there you can copy your favorite factory presets and paste them into empty slots in a group all together.
@Roy J Welcome to the Forum!

when makes banks do you have to start from very first one or can you go to say 400 and start bank there?if so how would you get it so when you turned on fm9 it would go to that bank? thanks

Hi Roy,

FM9 Edit will change everything :)

You know when you are on stage (in the old days), and you look down to see a bunch of pedals? These are your 'Blocks'.... IE, distortion, flanger, delay, reverb etc etc are blocks in the FM9. Also your amp and cab are as well. I always try to view a preset like that.

Welcome aboard - hope you love the unit.

Thanks
Pauly

I love the sounds that I'm getting from the FM9. There are so many that I like I'm having trouble paring it down to what I might need live. I just need to make it to where it's like a pedalboard so that I can use presets without having to dial them in by hand. I'm old school and kind of a set it and forget it kind of player. But, I can see that when I get it set up like I want I'd like to start tinkering around with making presets of my own. But that's way down the road! :D
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate all the help.

I can help with some of what you said.

Yes, the terminology can be daunting at first, especially if this is your fist Fractal product (mine was too- Axe III.) But it is important to use the right words when describing something, obviously so people here can help you with your questions, and also so you can understand the videos/manuals.

So a bank is a group of 128 presets. Bank A is presets 0 thru 127, B is 128 thru 255, etc. An entire group of factory presets can be imported into your unit as a whole bank at one time, so if you wanted to keep all your own, self-made, presets in one bank, keep these numbers in mind. The factory presets occupy banks A,B,&C.

A preset can have all sorts of tone combinations in just that one preset, so I wouldn't limit yourself to keeping cleans in one bank, and others in a different bank. You can easily keep them in the same preset, and design your presets around different sounds.

Each preset contains 8 scenes, and the easiest way I think of scenes is this: Imagine you have a guitar rig, with various pedals, an amp with more than one channel, and a couple different cabinets.

For any scene, you select which pedals you want "on", and which ones you want bypassed. Set up each pedal the way you want it to sound, and dial in a channel on the amp the way you want it to sound. Select your cabinet. That's one scene.

Now in that same preset, you can turn on one or more pedals that were bypassed in the previous scene, turn off one or more of the pedals, switch to a different channel on your amp, and even select a different cabinet. OR, you can keep everything the same as it was in the first scene, but only change the settings. Or even a combination of those 2 previous sentences. If you only changed the settings on a pedal that was on in the first scene, you'd now put that pedal on a new channel of which there are 4 to choose from.

That's the basics, as clear as I can explain them. And in Fractal parlance, everything you place on the "grid" (where you create your virtual rig) is referred to as a Block. Input blocks, Output blocks, Phaser/Delay/Flanger/Overdrive/etc. blocks, Mixer blocks, Send & Return blocks, Amp blocks, you get the picture.

You'll get the hang of it, assuming you want to. I'd recommend watching a few of the "basics" videos from either Leon Todd or Cooper Carter, and realize you may have to watch them a few times, but it should all start to make sense pretty quickly.

And after reading your post a 2nd time, I'd recommend you try to learn your way around the ecosystem so-to-speak, before you try to make your own presets by picking and choosing from parts/portions of factory presets. I think if you first gain a decent understanding of how the gear works, it'll take you further.

Like, if you've never done carpentry, and just wanted to build a plywood box, sure, I could show you how to do just that. But if I first explained some basics to you, like how to ensure your corners are cut square, how to read a tape measure, how to remember which side of the line to cut on, stuff like that..., yeah it'll take a little longer. But then when you want to build something a little more involved, you're now better equipped to do so.

Hope that helps, and welcome!

Holy crap! I'll watch the youtube videos some more. Hopefully when I'm able to connect to FM9 Edit I'll be able to make some since of everything. Does everyone switch to the OFM9G layout?

I suggest copying the presets to empty spots and make them your own. That way if you "ruin" it somehow, you can always copy it over again. Make backups and use the snapshots!

Does everyone switch to the OFM9G layout?
I don’t think so, some people seem to immediately try building their own layouts without any prior knowledge, which makes the entire process less understandable. I started with OMG9 and poked and prodded and studied how it worked, then modified it for my needs, and I think it’s a great starting point for learning how layouts work.

Last edited:
Hi Roy

Maybe I am the same age as you ( I'm 66)
An old guy like me, learned how to use the FM9 within a few weeks of purchase.

Like others have said, go online to YT to figure out how to use the FM9 editor.
It will really open up to the potential of this amazing unit.

I've pasted and copied certain presets to open slots:
then I started to edit / switch various amps / cabs / effects as I wanted.

There are so many great learning videos about the FM9, its crazy !

Steve

Welcome to the Fractal Family! The Forum is a great resource. Your question is a great one but it is a very big question. There are lots of ways to organize presets. Some folks make a preset for every song with specific scenes, etc. Some folks make presets for a specific tones (i.e. clean tones, high gain tones, specific amp tones, etc.). The set list feature on the FM-9 is a great way to organize and arrange your presets for live gigs. BUT, before doing any of that, I highly recommend you get familiar with a preset and how the blocks work, how to use scenes, etc. Sooner or later you're going to need to know that stuff. Definitely use the Manual as a resource but I recommend finding your favorite factory preset and using Manage Presets, copy that preset into a blank space in any of the open user banks. Now open that preset and while playing your guitar, open each block and experiment with each parameter to see how it affects your sound. Use FM-9 Edit as that makes this process way easier. I would start with AMP and CAB blocks, Try changing amps. Then try changing cabs. Then try any other effects blocks that are in the preset. In each effects block, go through each different variety of the effect unit available. For example, in a DRIVE block, try each drive available and see how each one changes the tone. At first I suggest picking a simple preset with amp, cab and a few effects blocks. Then experiment with other presets that have a lot going on. Also click on the input and output blocks to understand what they do and what parameters you can control. No mater how many times you read the manual or have someone explain things, there is no substitute for personally experiencing tweaking and experimenting. That's how you build understanding and confidence using this amazing machine. There's no right or wrong and you don't have to worry about messing up. You just delete that preset and start over at any time. Once you're comfortable, I would also highly recommend understanding how to make basic changes using the user interface on the unit (without FM-9 Edit). I found it critical to be able to make quick tweaks during a live gig.

A great but somewhat expensive shortcut is to take Cooper Carter's Master Class. I personally took the class and I found it to be well worth the cost and the concepts and materials have helped me gain a much better understanding of how to get the most out of Fractal products. It has helped me create some very inspiring tones that I use for live playing. I have never enjoyed playing the guitar as much as I do now. Even if you do Cooper's class, I would still recommend the experimentation I described above. The hands on experience of tweaking and making mistakes and undoing them, etc. is what gives you a real understanding and comfort using these products.

Best of luck. Enjoy the ride. So much cool stuff in these boxes.

Last edited:
Hey Roy, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Fractal! As you have found, plenty of factory presets to keep you entertained, and once you get into it and understand the unit better, it will be like kid in a candy store with all you have to play with.

FM9 Edit will help you immensely in understanding how these units work, so I would say step one is to get the USB cable you need to hook it up to a computer and install the edit program. Although it is important to understand how to adjust things from the unit itself, the edit programs give you a much more user friendly look/feel and also allows you to do some things you can not do from the units controls.

TSJMajesty gave you a great write up on the basics, but I wanted to break down some of the items a bit more for you to help you understand what you are looking at and what some of these terms mean.

Block = Effect pedal, amp or cabinet. So a block is just like any gear you would plug into your rig/chain. A flanger pedal, and OD pedal, a chorus pedal, etc. Each pedal or amp or cabinet is a block.

Preset = A collection of Blocks. So every preset is made up of X number of blocks. The number you can use varies from unit to unit, but any preset will always have whatever blocks you put into it and will never have more or less unless you add/remove blocks in that preset.

Scene = A Preset with some Blocks turned on, others turned off, some blocks with different settings than other scenes, etc. So within your Preset(s), you have room for 8 scenes. This means you are working with all the same blocks that are in that preset, but Scene 1 you may have 3 pedals (aka blocks) turned on and 4 turned off. In Scene 2 you might have 6 pedals (aka blocks) turned on an d 1 off. So each scene is a hybrid of the Preset you are in, with some effects/amps/cabs on and others off. I have a kitchen sink preset that gives me all I need without ever having to leave that preset, and considering that you are a set and forget type guy, you eventually will likely be able to achieve the same.

Bank = A collection of Presets. Each Bank holds 128 Presets.

Channel = Within most Blocks, you have 4 Channels. A Channel is using the same block (a pedal or an amp or a cabinet or an effect, etc.), but you can use the channel to set different values of that Block. So you could have a Wah Block, and on Channel A you are using a Cry Baby Wah, on Channel B you are using a Vox Classic Wah, Channel C a Morley Wah and Channel D a Boss Wah! You then choose within a Scene, which Channel you want that Block to render in that Scene. Keep in mind you are still in the same Preset!! You could also have the same Wah on all 4 Channels (or on any number of them), but have different delay times for that wah on the different Channels. So the Channels actually multiply the number of effects and effects settings you can have in each Preset/Scene.

Grid = The Grid is where you put things in the order you want. You will start with an Input block and close with an Output block. In between you will have your pedals, amps, cabinets, effects in a row, and you can move them around to decide the order in which a block is executed in the chain.

When I got my Axe FXIII in Dec '21, I knew nothing about this stuff and it took me about a month to wrap my head around everything. In that time, I found about 30 presets I really liked, and then whittled that down to 6 presets. From there, I took the effects/pedals/amps/cabs that I liked and made my kitchen sink preset. In the months that followed, I have tweaked it hundreds of times and am now VERY happy with my 8 Scenes in my single Preset that do everything I need!!!

As you can see, a lot of helpful folk here to guide you! Hope you get your stuff dialed in, but as mentioned, I would recommend you start with getting a USB cable (should be ~$10) so you can start working in the Edit program to dial in your dreams!! Best of luck and enjoy this otherworldly experience!!!

Ok I have my cable and have hooked the FM9 to my computer and opened FM9 Edit. What I would like to do is replace the presets in banks 000-005 but haven't been able to figure out how to do that if it's even possible. And what if I want a scene other than #1? Do I need to just go to the first empty bank and copy and paste the presets that I want? If so how do I make it start on that bank instead of booting up with bank 000?
I really do appreciate all the help but must admit a lot of it is over my head.

Ok I have my cable and have hooked the FM9 to my computer and opened FM9 Edit. What I would like to do is replace the presets in banks 000-005 but haven't been able to figure out how to do that if it's even possible. And what if I want a scene other than #1? Do I need to just go to the first empty bank and copy and paste the presets that I want? If so how do I make it start on that bank instead of booting up with bank 000?
I really do appreciate all the help but must admit a lot of it is over my head.
Hey Roy;

So I think what you want is to replace presets 000-005. A bank is a collection of 128 presets. To fill presets 000-005 with the presets you want there, you will click on the drop down near center top of screen that says "Presets". It is next to the preset box that shows what preset you are currently on. When you click that drop down, it should open a new window. At the bottom of that window, click on "Manage" and that will move to a new window. This is where you will "manage" (aka, copy and paste) the presets you want into the positions you want. So let's say the preset you want for slot 000 is currently preset 105. Go in that "manage" window to where you can see preset 105. Right mouse click (or Apple key + click I believe on apple products) and click on "Copy". Then right mouse click on preset 000 and choose paste. Do the same for each preset you want to move into those different positions. If you want to preserve the 000-005 presets that are currently there, you will need to copy and past them to empty slots before you do these replacements.

As for booting up to the preset you want, I believe the default is system will boot to whatever your last preset is that you were on when you last shut system down. If that is not the case (easy enough to test, go to preset 010, shut off machine, turn it back on and if it opens to 010, you are set), there is setting in the global settings somewhere but I can not tell you where that is for the FM9. As I said though, I think default is to return to your last preset on boot, but I could be wrong about that.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom