Help eliminating ground noise

Renderman

Inspired
One of my guitars seems to be particularly noisy. I got the builder to take a look at it, and he said he's double-checked the wiring, shielding etc and it all looks/sounds fine to him. I'm running it into my Axe FX II. I have a pair of powered monitors and a MIDI pedal board. I friend suggested it might be a ground loop. A brief bit of googling suggested plugging everything into the same power strip would solve that, and indeed that's what I'm already doing. The guitar has two humbuckers, both splittable, but the noise is as bad in humbucker mode as split coil (although slightly different in pitch). I did notice that as I approach the ceiling lights in my apartment the noise gets worse, but its bad enough when I set in darkness with my computer, TV and wireless router all switched off. Oh, the noise goes away if I touch the Axe FX chassis or the surface of my Macbook while holding the guitar.

Any ideas?

You got a multimeter?
see if you have continuity from your guitars “earth” on the output jack, to the bridge and (if they have steel covers) pickups. Also, try running a wire from your axefx chassis to your guitar lead earth (one end at a time) and/or your guitar bridge. if any of that makes a difference, you may be onto something. Oh - and from your description, I’d suggest it might be inductive hum Rather than an earth loop - but hey - I ain’t there!
thanks
pauly

Back
Top Bottom