Help !! Dust in the studio ...

1poorplayer

Power User
I’ve come to realize there is a tremendous amount of dust in my studio. I need to acquire a unit to help with this. Does anyone have advice on the proper purification system to add to my workspace, to help eliminate- dust ?
My screens , rack , keyboard , speakers desk. Ugh. It’s bad.

What kind of furnace filter are you running? If a fiberglass cheapie, get a Merv 8 pleated. I wouldn’t go any higher rating than that as they are hard on fan motors though.

I live in an 18th century house and have a large dog, so dust and debris is a constant issue. The best solution I've found is a Miele vacuum with a HEPA filter (and vacuuming 3-4x per week).

I vacuum my stuff direcly on a regular basis with Dyson handheld (brush attachment) + furnace filter
maintenance as mentioned above

Last edited:
Quality filters as mentioned. Added air purifiers throughout the house back in March...made a noticeable difference. I clean the filters every two weeks and it’s shocking how much shit it pulls out of the air in that time.

My heating system is radiant , so it’s not a forced air filter issue. My son has been leaving a fan on in the control room from time to time. The equipment puts out some serious heat , and I haven’t gotten around to install a good air circulation system or AC.

High Merv filters can play hell with your AC system. They really cut down on total system airflow, can stress your fan motors and lead to evaporator coil freezing if you live in a high humidity area. Electro-static filters work well for pulling particles out of the air without reducing airflow as much, but they are expensive and have to be cleaned often for best results though. Some also have a tendency to produce ozone (smog) because of the ionization of the air.

Getting rid of carpet helps a lot too, but a large percentage of dust comes from dead skin, hair, and clothing fibers.

I did some youtube research on cleaners and endust really worked on repelling dust on stuff. I've been using it since with great results.

Hi,

Have you ascertained where the dust is coming from? If it's just 'in' the studio, then get it out by vacuuming with a long hose to a vacuum cleaner that's outside the studio, then figure out a way to stop it coming in again.
My room has a sound deadened box (installed in the roof cavity), opening in the ceiling that pushes air into the room from the ceiling of another room in the house (Meaning it's already filtered/heated/cooled as the house is). There's a centrifugal fan in the line, just after the filter in the other room. then another sound deadened box at the other end of the room that lets the air out. There is a filter at the inlet from the other room. This means the music room always has a small positive pressure, with the side effect that very little dust can get in. (when the fan is on) Works a treat!

Was a real PITA to make the boxes, get them up into the roof cavity, then run the ducting and the fan/filters etc... but that was more than ten years ago and it's as good as the day I installed it.

Thanks
Pauly

I’ve come to realize there is a tremendous amount of dust in my studio. I need to acquire a unit to help with this. Does anyone have advice on the proper purification system to add to my workspace, to help eliminate- dust ?
My screens , rack , keyboard , speakers desk. Ugh. It’s bad.

I was just thinking the same thing. This past weekend I went to play a guitar I haven't played in a while and it had so much dust on it, it wasn't playable. We have 4 dogs and 4 cats and have to vacuum and dust every day but I admit, I skip my music room a lot because I just want to play guitar! I recently found out I've been vacuuming carpet all wrong. I always moved the vacuum fast trying to get the job done quickly but if I move the vacuum slowly, it cleans in almost one pass instead of having to go over the same spot at least 4 times. Moving the vacuum slow actually cleans the carpets faster.

My music area has two doors to the outside, and I frequently have one or both doors open. Keeping the room dust free isn't going to happen. I dust periodically with a Swiffer wand brush thing.

At my last place, I had a air purifier, and it was surprising how much dust it captured. I think something like that would definitely cut down on it at least.

Back
Top Bottom