Help - different sounds from different rooms

jeremypodom

When I have band practice we have a very small room to practice in. I had my patches set to sound good there but when I came home I noticed it didn't sound nearly as thick or bassy. I readjusted so they sound fantastic now but I'm worried I'll show up to practice next and it will sound terrible. Could it maybe be where I'm placing the FRFR or is it really just the room?

it can be the room, your speaker position in the rehearsal room, it can be your room :) anything is possible. check the reflections in both rooms, to see if the rooms sound dry or there is echo (clap your hands, even this would say alot about your room).

and probably u dont play the same level at home right? if this is the case, your gig level patches wont translate the same when u play silent.

Volume makes a difference too - I'd assume you play a good bit quieter at home than when rehearsing with your band. Fletcher-Munson effect. You have plenty of options to counter this:

1. maybe copy your presets that you have dialled in at loud 'live' levels to new presets and tweak those to sound good at practise levels -then you won't have to re-tweak when back in rehearsal again.

2. Alternatively you can try to fix the sound using the global eq at home (making note of where they originally were so you can reset them when needed).

3. Try a peq block at the end of your chain in every preset as a global block and then you can tweak that in one preset and save globally whenever you change location/volume levels.

etc etc

Thanks for the tips. I was leaning towards the paraEq block already. I can set a switch on my MFC for it to have an X/Y state (or just on off if it doesn't have that option. Can't remember).

Back
Top Bottom