Help dialing in a live tone (struggling)

geoangus

Inspired
I'm working with the Mark Day Friedman preset, trying to dial it in for Bon Jovi and Poison covers we play. I've run the gamut of yuck - too bassy, too fizzy, too gainy, ice pick. I really could use help with a photo of your preamp and EQ settings and suggestions if your boosting a scene with a pedal. Or if someone has what I'm looking for for sale.

Thanks

I'm not going to be much help ....

And I don't think Mark usually modifies ANY of the deep parameters. He's pretty much a set it and forget it type of guy !

But ..., Mark also has a very unique style. I've always said his string muting skills are absolutely 2nd to none ! Not very many players can get away with using the gain he does ! You might start by reducing the gain to a level that you can control ?

Also, Mark really likes his tone to "thump" .... Just as a diagnosis tool .... Insert a Graphic or use the one in the Amp block ( doesn't really matter which one ). Pull the lowest slider down ALL THE WAY ! Does that eliminate too much bass ?

Then pull out the graphic, but go back and play w/ the Cab Low Cut settings .... Does that get you where you need to be ?

Good Luck !

Or just use a different amp - I love Mark's tone and playing with the Friedman amp but when I try to play with any of the Friedman presets it does not work for me. I rather go for Marshalls.

Yes, Mark's playing and skill is something I'm envious of. I have tweaked the settings, but I'm still searching. And it isn't just the Friedman, I've tried dialing in Marshalls too, resulting in the same predicament.

I know it boils down to EQ and gain. I've searched several threads, and many people have pointed out that what sounds great when playing alone is often lost in a mix, and tone that cuts thru the mix can sound harsh when playing alone.

I guess what I'm asking for is a peek at someone's live patches and scenes and how they've setup their gain and EQ

I guess what I'm asking for is a peek at someone's live patches and scenes and how they've setup their gain and EQ

Look here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/yeks-preset-collection-quantum-8-02-axe-fx-ii-xl.89143/

I use a lot of Yek's ideas both in how I dial amps and how I construct my presets .... It's been a while, but IIRC he's got a PEQ somewhere near the end of the chain that gives a pretty decent set of settings for playing live vrs. studio ....

Also, I think his "Main" preset still uses the BE ( or maybe the HBE ) as his go-to "Dirty" sound ....

Yek's patches are good as they are set up for gig volume. There's a big difference in sound between bedroom and gig. Low cut and high cut do wonders to take the flub, fizz, blare and icepick out of patches played at high volume.

Ch 1 to FOH
Ch 2 to Atomic CLR for stage monitor

Sorry for double post. I had originally asked this in another section and it was suggested I ask here. That original post was moved here too.

Last edited:
It's kinda like EVH...you play his guitar with his amp and settings and you likely will sound less than Edward to say the least...you need to go out and purchase those atomic wedges and then a matrix power amp and holy shite where does it end? This is why we are tone chasers!

It's kinda like EVH...you play his guitar with his amp and settings and you likely will sound less than Edward to say the least...you need to go out and purchase those atomic wedges and then a matrix power amp and holy ****e where does it end? This is why we are tone chasers!
Chaser or DISEASE! Mental at that..:)

I've been struggling with this as well. My clean channel cuts through great, but everyone from guitar playing friends to the sound guy says the gain channels pretty much dissapear behind the other guitar played through a Mesa. I've played with pushing mids and highs while pulling lows and increasing presence, decreasing gain (sounds like ass) but it's gotten to where I'm using an amp live and the Axe at home. Using 2 Atomic CLR when setting things up at home. I'll take a close look at the low and high cut settings.

I've been struggling with this as well. My clean channel cuts through great, but everyone from guitar playing friends to the sound guy says the gain channels pretty much dissapear behind the other guitar played through a Mesa. I've played with pushing mids and highs while pulling lows and increasing presence, decreasing gain (sounds like ***) but it's gotten to where I'm using an amp live and the Axe at home. Using 2 Atomic CLR when setting things up at home. I'll take a close look at the low and high cut settings.
he have a cab on stage?

Back
Top Bottom