Help: determining the the right size studio monitors my room

jdiz86

Greetings and salutations.

I'm looking at finally getting a pair of studio monitors. Most of what I have read online emphasizes the importance of room size when making a decision on near-field monitors. I want to confirm if my space is suitable for a makeshift studio environment and, if it is, what size of monitors would be most appropriate.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment that is open concept, so the living room and kitchen are combined. The only place I can feasibly set up the monitors is beside my TV. So imagine a rectangular room that is 12' x 25'. One 12' side is a huge window (ceiling to 2' before the floor), the opposite side is where my kitchen space begins (and carries on another 12' or so). The kitchen and living room are 'separated' by the kitchen counter top / bar seating area.

I would have the monitors near my TV, at ear level, in the middle of the 25' section of wall, about 6' apart from another. Then I would be seated on the opposite side, on my couch, about 10' away from the monitors.

So in this case, are 8" near-fields too much monitor. Is imagining any kind of sound coming from monitors in this space cringe worthy due to the 10' or so distance my ears will be?

Any recommendations on treatment (other than the organic treatment of a couch, chair, and painting) that would be feasible without my girlfriend wanting to leave me?

Thanks in advance.

Just try them out first if you can. My Adam's are 7 inch and the sound is pretty perfect sitting back about 8 or 9 feet. I read all kinds of "treatment/room reflection" stuff like that before I got my Adam A7x's and none of it was relevant for me IMO. Sitting them on foam did make a difference. I think a 7 or 8 would be fine for you. The A7x's sound pretty amazing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom