Help deciding Suhr vs JP6

Carpercen

Inspired
Hi! I'm on the fence with some good deals but as this is a blind buy I have no idea what's the most convenient:
These are the 3 scenarios I have:

Suhr satin HH with tremolo 2,400
Jp6 2019 2,600
Suhr modern plus 2,900

When I started I was set to get the modern plus but now I'm being offered the jp6 and modern satin for a few less bucks plus if I choose any of these two options I can get a discount on a set of BKP juggernauts (200 with cover)
So what would be your advice?
I fell in love with the whale blue modern plus but I cannot deny that for 300usd less I can get the jp6 on mystic dream or purple and with blank mate hardware it looks amazing too. But I could get the Satín with a set of juggernauts for the same price...

One thing that I'm looking for is to have a really versatile guitar as this will be a big investment for me and means I won't be buying anything else in the near future.

I have read that while jp6 is a great guitar, it is no as versatile as a Suhr. Have no experience at all with any of this guitar as there's nowhere near my city to try them so I'd like to read your general consensus about the best option.

Should I go the satin option as it's cheaper? Or is better to invest 200 more for a the John Petrucci? or 500 more for the suhr modern plus?

Also about the Suhr, anyone has experience with the SSH+ and SSV pickups? I know Aaron Marshall from intervals users that set. I want a good sounding guitar, versatile, for cleans, progressive, modern metal, fusion. Are the stock pickups all I need?
Should I buy the Juggernaut set? (I don't know if jugs aren't the most versatile pups out there but I own set on my PRS S2 and it was a big step forward vs that guitar stock pups)

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience with me.

Best advice I can offer is to get the one that makes your bunny jump....regardless of the price tag. It sounds like this is a once in a very long time purchase. Don't cheap out,

As far as versatility, it depends. The piezo on the JP is verty nice if you have a need for it!

Last edited:
I’m personally not a fan of satin finishes. You end up polishing sections up from playing and you have shiny spots.

I’m personally not a fan of satin finishes. You end up polishing sections up from playing and you have shiny spots.

Totally agree!
And it doesn't take long either, had a Ibanez JPM-P3 with a satin finish. Got it knew in 98 I believe only took a few months when I noticed a shiny spot around the bridge pickup.

A buddy of mine has a JP15, a Suhr Modern, and a Suhr Tele. Whenever I go over there to jam, I always choose the JP15. A good deal of that comes down to the neck (I prefer thin necks). The pickups in all the guitars are fine although I prefer the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifier set to the Illuminators.

Have you tried these guitars? For example JP6 has a very thin-wide neck that you either like, say meh or you think is weird.

I own a modern Satin (HSH) and it’s a fantastic guitar. If you are not familiar with SUHR pickups it takes a while to get used to. They don’t have a signature sound, it’s like a modern take on classics and can feel a bit sterile till you shape your tone around them. I would advise to try out the Satin before you buy.

Check out Ben Eller on YT for a tone showcase, he plays a SUHR black satin on a lot of his videos.

As others have said, I would check on the used market for a JP, you may save quite a bit and won’t lose much if it’s not your thing and decide to sell or even trade.

As for neck shapes SUHR’s are pretty thin already. I have not tried newer JP’s though so can’t judge.

Just my 2c.

Have you tried these guitars? For example JP6 has a very thin-wide neck that you either like, say meh or you think is weird.
No, I don't and sadly I can't. I'll from Mexico, in my city the are no music stores that sell those brands so no chance to try them

I own a modern Satin (HSH) and it’s a fantastic guitar. If you are not familiar with SUHR pickups it takes a while to get used to. They don’t have a signature sound, it’s like a modern take on classics and can feel a bit sterile till you shape your tone around them. I would advise to try out the Satin before you buy.

Check out Ben Eller on YT for a tone showcase, he plays a SUHR black satin on a lot of his videos.

As others have said, I would check on the used market for a JP, you may save quite a bit and won’t lose much if it’s not your thing and decide to sell or even trade.

As for neck shapes SUHR’s are pretty thin already. I have not tried newer JP’s though so can’t judge.

Just my 2c.
Hi thank you very much for your answer.
About your answer, on the first replies of this post is stated that Satín finish can be polished in some places due to playing causing shining spots on the wood. Have experienced this? How is it?
My interest in Suhr guitars begun with Aaron Marshall/Intervals, he is playing now Suhr guitars and they look really beautiful. After some research I get to know this are top quality instruments.
How would you describe the pups? I'm looking for versatility, and after watching Aaron playing them they sure can be it. I emailed Suhr support and they told me he uses SSH+and SSV combination and those are the same pickups the modern satin or plus comes with (plus v60 in the middle).
It's interesting to me how you describe it's sound as sterile. Don't know what you mean here, all videos I've watched (demos and Aaron Marshall jam play instructional bundle) sound good, really good. How is this sterile sound you mention?
Now, my dealer contacted me and told me he could get me the satin HH with tremolo and a set of juggernauts for 2,400 (juggernauts for free) or the modern plus for 2,900 (stock pups)
I have played juggernauts before (have them on my PRS S2 which I'm selling to fund the Suhr), don't know if you have tried juggs, but what would you advice me?
The satin model is good-looking, but it doesn't have the push-pull option the plus has and I'm not sure a want some one to mod such a high end guitar.
On the modern plus the finishes are really beautiful and the risk of polishing the Satín finish bothers me...

I'd really appreciate your observation about this.

No, I don't and sadly I can't. I'll from Mexico, in my city the are no music stores that sell those brands so no chance to try them

I used to have the mindset that there's no way I could buy a guitar without feeling it and trying it first.

There are many distinct differences in necks out there. And it takes for some guitars a little time to get use to, and for other guitars it takes no effort to get used to.

I've bought 3 expensive guitars now without trying them first, and I kept them all. Now I feel different about the process. That is OK to buy before you try. I'm in the US, and just like you.... the guitar I wanted was not in any music store near me.

Hi! I'm on the fence with some good deals but as this is a blind buy I have no idea what's the most convenient:
These are the 3 scenarios I have:

Suhr satin HH with tremolo 2,400
Jp6 2019 2,600
Suhr modern plus 2,900

When I started I was set to get the modern plus but now I'm being offered the jp6 and modern satin for a few less bucks plus if I choose any of these two options I can get a discount on a set of BKP juggernauts (200 with cover)
So what would be your advice?
I fell in love with the whale blue modern plus but I cannot deny that for 300usd less I can get the jp6 on mystic dream or purple and with blank mate hardware it looks amazing too. But I could get the Satín with a set of juggernauts for the same price...

One thing that I'm looking for is to have a really versatile guitar as this will be a big investment for me and means I won't be buying anything else in the near future.

I have read that while jp6 is a great guitar, it is no as versatile as a Suhr. Have no experience at all with any of this guitar as there's nowhere near my city to try them so I'd like to read your general consensus about the best option.

Should I go the satin option as it's cheaper? Or is better to invest 200 more for a the John Petrucci? or 500 more for the suhr modern plus?

Also about the Suhr, anyone has experience with the SSH+ and SSV pickups? I know Aaron Marshall from intervals users that set. I want a good sounding guitar, versatile, for cleans, progressive, modern metal, fusion. Are the stock pickups all I need?
Should I buy the Juggernaut set? (I don't know if jugs aren't the most versatile pups out there but I own set on my PRS S2 and it was a big step forward vs that guitar stock pups)

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience with me.
I have a Suhr guitar.... 80's Shred White Tiger.
The quality of workmanship is excellent. Tone woods and quality of woods is superb IMO, and I played it for 3 days before I even plugged it in...

It's a 24 fret guitar, and effortless to play. I was learning a difficult solo, and struggling a little with a 22 fret guitar.... Turn up the Radio by Autograph. I noticed the guy was playing a 24 fret guitar... so I decided to buy one. It made it so much easier to learn that solo. So, you may wish to also consider if you want maybe 24 frets if your going for a modern.

I have Aldrich HH 5 way pickups. They sound great, and thier not too hot. You read a lot about how hot they are.... they clean up nicely.

I have a Suhr guitar.... 80's Shred White Tiger.
The quality of workmanship is excellent. Tone woods and quality of woods is superb IMO, and I played it for 3 days before I even plugged it in...

It's a 24 fret guitar, and effortless to play. I was learning a difficult solo, and struggling a little with a 22 fret guitar.... Turn up the Radio by Autograph. I noticed the guy was playing a 24 fret guitar... so I decided to buy one. It made it so much easier to learn that solo. So, you may wish to also consider if you want maybe 24 frets if your going for a modern.

I have Aldrich HH 5 way pickups. They sound great, and thier not too hot. You read a lot about how hot they are.... they clean up nicely.

My experience with guitars is minimum. I've owned a cheap Washburn, an Epiphone prophecy and now a PRS S2, really good guitar but I'm not comfortable with 25" scale.
With pups I really can't say Much, my PRS stock pups sound good to me but when I put the juggernauts on it, oh boy, it was amazing!
So I really don't know what to expect from Suhr SSH+and SSV, but I know Aaron Marshall get really good tones out of them. Aldrich I really have no idea what the difference would be. I want versatility but I also like progressive metal so don't know which would be the best.

When I was shopping for my Suhr... i was caught up on neck radius and choice of pickups.

Neck radius.... I dont think most people can feel it.

Pickups.... I wanted a hot output... and I can alway roll back the tone or volume... 5 way is the best IMO.

As far as the JP.... idk.
Ernie Ball Music Man... makes a nice guitar.

The Suhr Gotoh Floyd Rose.... floating... is very nice IMO. I like it better than my EVH Floyd Rose.

Tone woods... it's tough to decide.

I would suggest Alder Body.

Neck... Surh finish is very nice.

EVH neck is the best... uses no finish... its natural raw finish..and the oils of your hand is the finish... takes about 8 months of playing frequently... but it will be the smoothest and fastest neck finish you'll ever touch. If your a every day player... it's the best choice. I only bring this up to you... if your going Suhr modern... and have the build it... it's not much more than buying one already built. Check out Matt's Music out of Boston... they created a cool program... let's you build a custom Suhr. You may elect to spend just a little bit more... and build yourself your own

Back
Top Bottom