Help Creating Children of Bodom/Alexi Laiho Tones

emghz

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to amp modeling and messing around with different tones. I was curious if anyone would have some time to walk me through some of the stuff over a zoom session or something.

This fractal ax fx is a little overwhelming for me. I've gone through the manual and I'm trying to find the perfect balance for his tone. I used to use a MOOER GE 200 (and I was able to match his tone or one that worked for me at least).

Anyways...

I'm basically trying to map it 1:1 with his gear thread here. https://www.musamaailma.fi/fi/alexi-laiho-gear-auction

The Fractal FX has some amps here. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

I'm basically using the JVM Marshall 410H Green OD Chan 2 amp and the Marhsall 1960V AMP with 30 Celestion Mic.

But from there I'm pretty much lost.

I'm hoping you can help a bit. The signal chain is not something I'm super familiar with, but have a bit of experience messing around with.

I also watched a few videos and tried some public CoB fractal audio presets, but they sound way off (I know it depends on the guitars I'm using). For the sake of learning, I want to be able to achieve something like this. (Since most of my guitars have 1 passive pick up and my Alexi is configured just like the one in the video without the gain boost, but I have one that does have the boost.)

I've attached the tones I made (sounds like poop)!

Attachments

• laiho jvm od 2 gn.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Laiho RhythmLead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
  • laiho.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
You certainly seem to be in a fanboy mode. That's great, I've been there too... :laughing:
I understand you would just like to get your guitar hero's sound out of that black box.

But for now, the most important thing for you to learn is sound design.

For starters, do a challenge like this on an empty patch;
1. Pick an amp
2. Pick a cab
3. Play that setup for five minutes, no matter if it's an AC30 or a Recto. Swim in the tone and get a feel of what that sounds and feels like.
4. Change the cab to a couple different ones, and play them for a few minutes. Learn to hear what difference a cab makes.
5. Now change the amp to a completely different one. Learn to hear what the differences between a rectifier, a JCM800, ENGL and FAS Modern are.

Now; just trust what you hear. Don't get technical. Just start doing it and not fearing it because of the amount of options you have. Tweaking with the amp parameters and options will come after you've learned the difference between how different amps sound, and you will find further settings to be very logical and simple.

If you were to do this challenge for 1 hour a day for just one week, I'm sure the answers to Alexis tone will reveal themselves to you. And then you will have gained a perspective and confidence towards crafting a signal chain that you will be very proud of yourself and inspired. After this, you start to KNOW what you're doing, instead of relying on downloadable patches that were made by different people with different setups and guitars.

However, Alexi's tone is super simple. Take Active EMGs or Blackouts and plug your guitar into a Marshall. Don't be afraid to give the trebles hell.
But the most important thing? His playing style and picking technique. Which is not stellar by any means, but it really does make a big part of the tone.

One last tip; to really hear what his tone and playing sounds like, go to remixpacks dot ru and download the stems for Are You Dead Yet. You get to listen to his pure guitar playing when you solo (mute everything else) his tracks. Of course that is very much a produced sound, but still, helped me a lot.

You certainly seem to be in a fanboy mode. That's great, I've been there too... :laughing:
I understand you would just like to get your guitar hero's sound out of that black box.

But for now, the most important thing for you to learn is sound design.

For starters, do a challenge like this on an empty patch;
1. Pick an amp
2. Pick a cab
3. Play that setup for five minutes, no matter if it's an AC30 or a Recto. Swim in the tone and get a feel of what that sounds and feels like.
4. Change the cab to a couple different ones, and play them for a few minutes. Learn to hear what difference a cab makes.
5. Now change the amp to a completely different one. Learn to hear what the differences between a rectifier, a JCM800, ENGL and FAS Modern are.

Now; just trust what you hear. Don't get technical. Just start doing it and not fearing it because of the amount of options you have. Tweaking with the amp parameters and options will come after you've learned the difference between how different amps sound, and you will find further settings to be very logical and simple.

If you were to do this challenge for 1 hour a day for just one week, I'm sure the answers to Alexis tone will reveal themselves to you. And then you will have gained a perspective and confidence towards crafting a signal chain that you will be very proud of yourself and inspired. After this, you start to KNOW what you're doing, instead of relying on downloadable patches that were made by different people with different setups and guitars.

However, Alexi's tone is super simple. Take Active EMGs or Blackouts and plug your guitar into a Marshall. Don't be afraid to give the trebles hell.
But the most important thing? His playing style and picking technique. Which is not stellar by any means, but it really does make a big part of the tone.

One last tip; to really hear what his tone and playing sounds like, go to remixpacks dot ru and download the stems for Are You Dead Yet. You get to listen to his pure guitar playing when you solo (mute everything else) his tracks. Of course that is very much a produced sound, but still, helped me a lot.
Hey thanks for the tip. I'd say Alexi's been an inspiration for a decade or so - and I've always looked up to his playing. I understand the benefits of having a unique tone down the line as well.

I've pretty much been doing the challenge that you're suggesting and it's basically working out one way or another. Although I may not have it down 1:1, I have pretty much settled for a tone that I would use as a base that I can modify. I basically export the presets I make and then re-import them over another so I can work off of what I build.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm using the EMG HZ 4 passive pick up and using the Marshall stuff.

I think Alexi's studio playing was definitely amongst the best at the time. I can agree that there are more technical and better guitarists out there, but I view guitar a lot like skateboarding. It's not about who's the best. Just about having fun and doing cool shit. \

Looking on remixpacks. Maybe can use it for tone matching too in the future.

Thanks man.

Hey thanks for the tip. I'd say Alexi's been an inspiration for a decade or so - and I've always looked up to his playing. I understand the benefits of having a unique tone down the line as well.

I've pretty much been doing the challenge that you're suggesting and it's basically working out one way or another. Although I may not have it down 1:1, I have pretty much settled for a tone that I would use as a base that I can modify. I basically export the presets I make and then re-import them over another so I can work off of what I build.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm using the EMG HZ 4 passive pick up and using the Marshall stuff.

I think Alexi's studio playing was definitely amongst the best at the time. I can agree that there are more technical and better guitarists out there, but I view guitar a lot like skateboarding. It's not about who's the best. Just about having fun and doing cool shit. \

Looking on remixpacks. Maybe can use it for tone matching too in the future.

Thanks man.
Me too, man! I prefer Alexi's style way way more than many "polished" guitarists. I like there to be danger and a sense of rock'n roll, if you will. And he played fuckin' great. Skateboarding is a great example, I love it!

Yeah have a listen to the files, and just listen to the intricacies of his playing and the overall tone. You could definitely do a tone match of that and tweak it to your liking!
P.S. Here you can see his exact amp settings by the knobs:

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to amp modeling and messing around with different tones. I was curious if anyone would have some time to walk me through some of the stuff over a zoom session or something.

This fractal ax fx is a little overwhelming for me. I've gone through the manual and I'm trying to find the perfect balance for his tone. I used to use a MOOER GE 200 (and I was able to match his tone or one that worked for me at least).

Anyways...

I'm basically trying to map it 1:1 with his gear thread here. https://www.musamaailma.fi/fi/alexi-laiho-gear-auction

The Fractal FX has some amps here. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

I'm basically using the JVM Marshall 410H Green OD Chan 2 amp and the Marhsall 1960V AMP with 30 Celestion Mic.

But from there I'm pretty much lost.

I'm hoping you can help a bit. The signal chain is not something I'm super familiar with, but have a bit of experience messing around with.

I also watched a few videos and tried some public CoB fractal audio presets, but they sound way off (I know it depends on the guitars I'm using). For the sake of learning, I want to be able to achieve something like this. (Since most of my guitars have 1 passive pick up and my Alexi is configured just like the one in the video without the gain boost, but I have one that does have the boost.)

I've attached the tones I made (sounds like poop)!

Hi there, ! I also do not understand much in alchemy. Fractal for creating sounds. But my experience is that it's best to use what works for you, your guitar, your finger technique. I take ready-made blocks and insert them into the tone blank. For example, here's your preset that's reworked and works for me, my guitar, pickups. Scene # 1 - Your tone fully published. (I just reduced the volume of the amplifier, so after it there is a parallel Block that increases the overall volume. And the reverb, I think it's better to put it after the CAB) Scenes 6, 7, 8 can be used, personally in my opinion. First, I add blocks, like a flanger, which, for my bridge, does a thicker attack (posted on the Fractal community). Next, I change the CAB, for me it's a bit of a nasal sound (CAB, as I remember, is also free, it is also published here, screen). Of course, many blocks do not reliably convey the original sound, dynamics, you can turn them off for comparison. But they help to compensate for the technique of sound production, different strings, the shortcomings of pickup pickups. A lot also depends on the input PEQ unit, which evens out the desired middle, cuts off unnecessary thumping bottoms and itchy highs. Maybe this will help you. English is not my native language. All claims for understanding are to Google translator. :)

Attachments

• v2 laiho jvm od 2 gn.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-09-11_201543.png
    2021-09-11_201543.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi there, ! I also do not understand much in alchemy. Fractal for creating sounds. But my experience is that it's best to use what works for you, your guitar, your finger technique. I take ready-made blocks and insert them into the tone blank. For example, here's your preset that's reworked and works for me, my guitar, pickups. Scene # 1 - Your tone fully published. (I just reduced the volume of the amplifier, so after it there is a parallel Block that increases the overall volume. And the reverb, I think it's better to put it after the CAB) Scenes 6, 7, 8 can be used, personally in my opinion. First, I add blocks, like a flanger, which, for my bridge, does a thicker attack (posted on the Fractal community). Next, I change the CAB, for me it's a bit of a nasal sound (CAB, as I remember, is also free, it is also published here, screen). Of course, many blocks do not reliably convey the original sound, dynamics, you can turn them off for comparison. But they help to compensate for the technique of sound production, different strings, the shortcomings of pickup pickups. A lot also depends on the input PEQ unit, which evens out the desired middle, cuts off unnecessary thumping bottoms and itchy highs. Maybe this will help you. English is not my native language. All claims for understanding are to Google translator. :)
Thanks! I have made some updates to my presets as well. I switched to the 2 od red jvm. I'll post some tones for you guys just to mess with and also test out. * Thanks for sharing the info - it's very helpful. I have just a single pick up EMG HZ. (Not boost).

I also have have a few other tones I'm playing with with custom cabs, but let me drop the new foundation for you!

Attachments

• passive emg 4x12 1960bv jvm410.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 18
Me too, man! I prefer Alexi's style way way more than many "polished" guitarists. I like there to be danger and a sense of rock'n roll, if you will. And he played fuckin' great. Skateboarding is a great example, I love it!

Yeah have a listen to the files, and just listen to the intricacies of his playing and the overall tone. You could definitely do a tone match of that and tweak it to your liking!
P.S. Here you can see his exact amp settings by the knobs:

Hm that looks like the red channel od 1 instead of 2. But it seems like he switches to 2 a lot too. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/la...-and-stage-amps-and-pedals-are-up-for-auction

Back
Top Bottom