Help convince me not to sell my FM3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Convince me" / "Teach me" / "School me" ... thread titles always unnerve me slightly since, to me, they sound more like a command/demand vs a request, but, I move toward annoyance when the command issuer does not at least check in every page or so, to acknowledge the constructive feedback people are taking the time to provide to him/her. Just sayin'

Last edited:
"Convince me" / "Teach me" / "School me" ... thread titles always unnerve me slightly as they sound more like a command vs a request to me, but, I move toward annoyance when the command issuer does not at least check in every page or so, to acknowledge the constructive feedback people are taking the time to provide to his/her request. Just sayin'

I suspect that @otaman456 finally swapped the FM3 for a Mooer GE100 šŸ˜†

I gotta tell ya..... the only response I`d consider is.... "not from my cold dead hands" would I sell my FM3. ;p The only way I`d sell, is if Fractal brings out an AX8 style floor version of the FM3. Got a buddy already waiting for me to sell to him if Fractal gets motivated. ;p

I gotta tell ya..... the only response I`d consider is.... "not from my cold dead hands" would I sell my FM3. ;p The only way I`d sell, is if Fractal brings out an AX8 style floor version of the FM3. Got a buddy already waiting for me to sell to him if Fractal gets motivated. ;p
Add an FC6 and put it all on a pice of plywood! that's what I did and it all still fit in the same case I had my AX8! AX8 Rig , FM3 Rig

Hello,

TLDR: I am not happy with the tones coming out of my FM3, they sound muddy, boomy bass like, and like they are over in the next room. I am considering selling and going back to amps (Or maybe I am just still a noob). Examples posted in the link.

I play high gain metal and I got an FM3 last year and was really excited to switch over from amps to digital, especially hearing all the amazing reviews and feedback you kind folks get from digital amps. I knew there would be a big learning curve and over the last year, I dove into all the info, manuals, video tutorials, and especially the posts from all the gracious people on this forum, which I truly appreciate. At the end of the day, I can never recreate a sound that I see on a YouTube channel, or something Leon Todd posts, even when I follow it to a "T", it always sounds off. I purchased Cooper Carter's FM3 class and learned a ton there but my tones would never sound exactly like what I saw, even the free presets. I've gone down many paths trying to figure out where the problem may lay (if any), or is this how its supposed to sound? My results with plugins sound better at the end of the day. I've played with all the settings, adjusted the EQ, but was never satisfied. I use a Scarlet Solo, could it be my interface? I have KRK Rokit5s which I know may have a bad rep, but I don't want to be that guy that purchases more $$$ equipment just because something isn't right. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos where musicians use KRKs and it sounds fine.

Here's my signal chain:
Solar guitar with Fishmen Fluence Modern pickups
Mogami 1/4 Cables
FM3
Output 1 has an XLR to 1/4 going to my Scarlett Solo input
Scarlett Solo routes to my MacBook Pro USB
The FM3 also is routed USB to my MacBook Pro
Logic Pro X
Outputs are 1/4 cables routed to L & R KRK speakers

I've tried ditching the Scarlett and just using the FM3 as an interface as well and did not notice a difference.

I know this question has been asked occasionally and I have looked through all those forums and could not produce the results I wanted.

I would love some constructive feedback and am open to anything. As I mentioned, I've only been in the digital world for about a year and it was my quarantine project to to master. Thanks for all the help this forum has produced in the mean time, I appreciate you all!

4 preset examples used are:
15 Recto 2
36 FAS Modern
37 DAS Metall
63 6160 Block

Don't sell it

Iā€™d sell it and go back to whatever was working for you. If you put that much time and effort into the FM3 and itā€™s not working for you, itā€™s time for an amicable split. You canā€™t say you didnā€™t try. I commend your effort. Sometimes things just donā€™t work out and thatā€™s ok. All the best

Effort? He has not even replied to any of the questions and suggestions that have been made in order to help him.

We are on post #71 and counting... This thread will never die :D

I don't understand the problems, peeps wit KRK'S have, yes they have a very powerful low end and can muddy things up but I simply cut the low end off using the PEQ at the back of the monitors, sounds great then. Some older KRK's might not have these controls at the back though. And if you use these on a desk without proper stands cut off the mids on the monitor peq as well , this doesn't mess with any axe presets

The issue must definitively be on the Mogami cables that the OP mentions. These refined cables require some time to burn-in until they blossom. The process can take up to 500 hours, and audiophiles say that you cannot just run any kind of electric signal though them during that delicate transformation from chrysalis to butterfly, so they create play lists with selected hi-so jazz and delicate deva voices. If you burn them in with trash, the particles may align in a trashy way.

Last edited:
The issue must definitively be on the Mogami cables that the OP mentions. These refined cables require some time to burn-in until they blossom. The process can take up to 500 hours, and audiophiles say that you cannot just run any kind of electric signal though them during that delicate transformation from chrysalis to butterfly, so they create play lists with selected hi-so jazz and delicate deva voices. If you burn them in with trash, the particles may align in a trashy way.
This is as good as the earth being flat and vaccines causing autism.

Yikes! Need a training course to use those cables.

Dammit!! No one told me this. Iā€™ve been suffering with these Mogami cables for a while now. Who knows how many more hours till I see the butterflies, if Iā€™ll see them at all! I donā€™t even know what ā€œhi-so jazzā€ is. I feel so stupid

Effort? He has not even replied to any of the questions and suggestions that have been made in order to help him.

We are on post #71 and counting... This thread will never die :D
The OP said he spent a ton of time reading everything. I was giving him props for that.

I'm at least partly convinced that negative drop-and-run posts like this one are likely to be guerrilla marketing stunts. Let this thread sink and die. If the OP needs actual help, the Fractal Audio support team is always there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom