Help convince me not to sell my FM3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing i did is studying the manual and initially the amp and cab block.. It s not possibile to run a machine with this potential just plug and play.. And of course the final result is linked to cables speakers ecc.. So the point is not the fm3 sound bad.. The point is if you want to know how make it sound good which implicate also study and dedication.

That 4th amp in the recording doesn't good at all.

Go to Setup > Global and make sure that Cab Modeling and Power Amp Modeling are turned on.
Also, make sure that the Global EQs are set neutral.

How does the FM3 sound through headphones?

When I bought my AxeFX II, I bought KRK Rokits to use with it. I thought they sounded pretty bad. I returned them for some Yamaha HS7s and was instantly much happier. This was just checking out factory presets btw.

I doubt IRs are a cause of your issue. Generally the factory presets have good IR pairings. Granted, people will find IRs they like better, but they rarely sound bad.

Have you tried going back through some factory presets? As others have said, reset your amp blocks, then go through some factory presets and see if they sound better. If not, get some better monitors from a place where you can return them easily (GC, Amazon) and see if they sound better then.

Honestly if you can’t get a good sound out of the Fractal gear, the problem is almost certainly not the Fractal gear itself. Likely the culprit is something else in the chain or user error. It’s not always easy to diagnose and that can frustrate people enough that they just go a different direction.

Post the main preset you’re having issues with. I get that maybe it’s “all of them” but post whichever you’d expect to be your main preset. See if someone here can take a look and/or easily produce a decent recording. That can give you a clue as to whether there’s an issue with the preset or maybe a global setting or something.

I have KRK Rokit 6 monitors, they sound truly terrible for guitar modelling. I didn't realise this until I got some Atomic CLRs and also s decent set of headphones (half decent actually, BD DT770 PRO).

My experience with my KRKs is that I struggled to dial in a good tone that I could use for recording or live. Typically I prefer to dial in a tone on my CLRs for live, and my headphones for recording (which is not ideal). I use the KRKs only for testing mixes now. And have been seriously considering the Adams series as a replacement.

I've been annoyingly repetetive on this but here we go again with "I can't recreate what I hear from LT on youtube - my Fractal gear is not working". Leon actually gave us a dry track, patch, and output sample to use for the exact purpose of dispelling such doubts - see here (Ax3 patch you'd have to convert to FM3 - I can post the settings if you need).

I truely believe the solution to this "why can't I recreate what I hear on youtube" affliction is to get the dry track and patch from your youtube hero and re-amp it yourself in your own unit to prove that sound CAN be produced in your own hardware - the exercise of doing this eliminates all doubts / excuses.

Are you using normal mono 1/4 inch (guitar) cables or are you using trs cables for your krk's? I'm pretty sure all monitors take balanced TRS cables.

Last edited:

Demo of the patch 031 - Angle Severe (Scene 2).
Guitars are untouched in the mix in both examples
Drums are OKW Metal with some mild compression on each track
Played on a LTD EC-1000 in Drop B with BKP pickups
There's no bass here, it's just guitar/drums

I've left the blemishes on the guitar tracks to show its nothing special.
I pulled this mix in 3 minutes, once again to show that it's not some crazy polished mix... this is what someone can expect out of the box.

Demo of the patch 031 - Angle Severe (Scene 2).
Guitars are untouched in the mix in both examples
Drums are OKW Metal with some mild compression on each track
Played on a LTD EC-1000 in Drop B with BKP pickups
There's no bass here, it's just guitar/drums

I've left the blemishes on the guitar tracks to show its nothing special.
I pulled this mix in 3 minutes, once again to show that it's not some crazy polished mix... this is what someone can expect out of the box.

Sounds good. Was this from the FM3 USB interface into the DAW?

Fwiw, I don’t think anyone should feel bad about their Rockit monitors and Scarlett interfaces. There are so many engineering and sound design variables in play here. I like the advice to simplify tests, compare to known results, and to listen on multiple devices.

If the OP is getting better results with plugins but is considering going back to amps, I’m dubious on where they’re actually at with this. Did they disappear? Maybe they’re one of those weird people actually out playing. ;-)

Ok, your presets sound indeed terrible. Your gear is pretty good, so I don’t think it is that.
So, it is either the settings, or the unit is faulty. If you plug in headphones (good monitor headphones) and pick a stock preset, it should sound fairly good - at least it should be in the ball park.
I use YouTube settings as a guide to get a rough dial-in, then adjust to taste and to match the IR. Depending on the guitar, I have to adjust the gain settings, cut-off frequencies and EQs a little. Like my LP needs some different tweaks compared to my Schecter with Fishman’s.
If stock presets don’t give you a decent headphone sound, you might want to touch base with FAS and explore hardware issues.
But if course, you can just go ahead and sell the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom