Help Converting Marshall Super Lead Amp Model to Super Bass

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I think there was past thread on this but I can't locate...These two amps (Super Lead is modeled in the AXEFX) are supposedly the same, but for a few small tweaks. I love the sound Doyle Bramhall II gets out of the Super Bass with a Strat.

I've fooled with doing this before, and with Quantum firmware, want to tackle again and tweak it right.

I know reducing the brite cap value (to 100? 220?) is one step, and cuts some of the brite treble and the gain. The Super Bass doesn't have all that saturation, direct in from guitar, it's just big fat with bottom and fullness, without too much hair (unless you use overdrive pedals in front, oh yes!)

Can anyone with real amp experience in this conversion maybe also provide info on what other AXE FX model parameters users can access that can convert the Super Lead to a Super Bass (or get it very close), that would be great if you could share? Maybe try a JTM45 tonestack for example?

If I get it "right" I'll post a patch to Axe Change. Thanks in advance for any tips, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think your on the right track. Either a Plexi with a JTM45 tonestack or a JTM45 with a Plexi tonestack could get you close. I think the Super Bass had a shared cathode on the input like a JTM45 but with smaller cathode caps. I'm not sure how you would emulate that.

I was playing with changing tonestacks the other night with a Freidman Small Box. Putting a Plexi tonestack in the Small Box got a smoother 'singing' response while putting a Marshall Silver 25th Annv. tonestack gave it more snarl and spit. Tonestacks are a very powerful mod option.

After referring to my Tube Amp book, using the Plexi normal input with the JTM45 tone stack would get you closer. It keeps the bright channel out of the circuit. It's going to be pretty dark though with a ton of low end. Probably need a lot of bass relief EQ-ing.

Might need bigger treble bypass caps to compensate the darkness.

I just threw one together using Plexi Nrml 100, JTM45 tonestack and 500 pf bright cap. Sounds pretty damn good. I'm gonna keep it and fool around with some more. I think it's got some real potential.

After referring to my Tube Amp book, using the Plexi normal input with the JTM45 tone stack would get you closer. It keeps the bright channel out of the circuit. It's going to be pretty dark though with a ton of low end. Probably need a lot of bass relief EQ-ing.

Might need bigger treble bypass caps to compensate the darkness.

I have heard Eric Johnson's tonestack in some of his Plexis are sometimes modded to be voiced more like a JM45...if you listen to that sound, it removes a good bit of the pick noise attack...check it out, use the Brit JM45 tonestack instead of the default tonestack in a 100 watt Normal Plexi...remember to turn up the mids

I'll add a quick story...I once saw the Arc Angels play with Doyle at Antone's in Austin about 8-10 years ago...they were filming it for a DVD...he used a loaner JTM45 he got from Guitar Center... I know because I bought the amp right after he returned it...I used it about a year and eventually sold it to the guitar player for Godsmack...but I vividly recalled he got that Band of Gypsys tone that night. If course,this has more to do with HIM than the guitar, and with the amazing way he plays...But the JTM45 into some an slightly oversized 2X12 V30 cab that night did the trick.

Right now I'm finding the JTM45 is getting me closer to the tone I'm seeking than trying to mod the Super Lead because that model just has too much gain and top end to dial out...but I figured some amp guru might now what to tweak on the Super Lead to convert it to a Super Bass, which is what Doyle used for many years and on the "Welcome" album (and I'm told eventually sold to "EZ" Zapata who is Gary Clark Jr's awesome rhythm guitar player)...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom