HELP! Connecting Axe-Fx3 to Cubase 8

do you mean the USB Input block and placing it on the Layout? that brings USB from the computer to the Layout. it has nothing to do with sending the Axe signal via USB to the computer.
Yes. I'm still getting my feet wet on how to record with the axe as far as the ins and outs. I saw that trick in a reamping video.

Yes. I'm still getting my feet wet on how to record with the axe as far as the ins and outs. I saw that trick in a reamping video.
install the USB driver if on windows
plug in a working USB cable
set inputs and outputs in the DAW
record

adding the USB Input block onto the grid is for specialized uses where you want to run some signal from the computer through the grid for some reason.

Reactions: JTI
install the USB driver if on windows
plug in a working USB cable
set inputs and outputs in the DAW
record

adding the USB Input block onto the grid is for specialized uses where you want to run some signal from the computer through the grid for some reason.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Actually, this is not a moot point. Use one output L&R (either from the Profire or Axe but not both) into KRK's. XLR or TRS, It's really that simple.

If you want to use both units, digitally connect the Axe & Profire via s/pdif or AES.
Zed - this is extremely promising - thanks. I would appreciate your advise on how to accomplish this. The KRKs MUST be dedicated to the interface - I'm a drummer, bass, keyboard player too and need ability to record all of this crap (guitars and the Axe3 are just part I'm trying to work out). Re: your post - I've been eyeing the SPDIF and AES (unfamiliar with this) outputs on the Axe3 wondering if this could be part of the solution. My thinking was that disconnecting XLR/TRS from the KRKs every time I needed to record guitars (Axe3) vs. everything else (via the Profire interface) would get old quick - - not to mention having to change all the ASIO drivers in Cubase. I'm a decent musician - but the tech side of this is over my head - so appreciate everyone who has tried to help....virtual beers on me if we get this working.

FYI - All who have commented. I've added a signature with gear / OS details to hopefully facilitate this convo.

Well, if your Profire is already working with Cubase, I'd just hang the Axe off it either with s/pdif or AES. It's just a matter of getting the appropriate cables and connecting together. I'd suggest connecting both ways (2 cables) one Axe> Profire and one Profire>Axe. There are some clock settings that would need to be changed in both units to facilitate Master/Slave relationship. This setup would give you all available I/O's in both units simultaneously. If you go this route, get the cables connected and we can go from there.

OTOH, Chris and others have suggested alternative setup which you may choose to use.

Well, if your Profire is already working with Cubase, I'd just hang the Axe off it either with s/pdif or AES. It's just a matter of getting the appropriate cables and connecting together. I'd suggest connecting both ways (2 cables) one Axe> Profire and one Profire>Axe. There are some clock settings that would need to be changed in both units to facilitate Master/Slave relationship. This setup would give you all available I/O's in both units simultaneously. If you go this route, get the cables connected and we can go from there.

OTOH, Chris and others have suggested alternative setup which you may choose to use.

I'm ready to try whatever at this point. I've connected the AxeFx3 SPDIF out to a breakout cable on the Profire with 2 coaxial ends, and I've connected coaxial cable between the units and back. I'm ready for any settings suggestions as far as clock master/slave and where I should be doing what on which unit.

That said - the ability to record, monitor and playback AxeFx tracks in Cubase shouldn't require multiple connections - should it? I've watched every AxeFx vid on youtube at this point....and from what I can tell - folks are all simply connecting the unit via 1 simple USB cable. Not XLR, No SPDIF, NO AES - it's just the USB cable and they are recording away, playing back and doing more advanced revamping things. I want to get there...and I've lost sight of why I'm jerking around with anything more than a USB connection. I just saw a post I made on this very forum 7 years ago...trying to do the same exact thing way back then - just with an AxeFx 2. Am I the only person in the country who can't figure this out? 1 thing that I keep coming back to - - do I need set this AxeFx up as an "External Instrument" or configure any MIDI settings in Cubase in order to make this work? I vaguely recall having to do that with the Kronos keyboard - and it's not currently working either, so I can't replicate configuration.

i've suggested multiple times and FractalAudio has also suggested to try in a free DAW like Audacity or Reaper to see if things work.

is this something you can try as a test?

Chris - yah, I tried the audacity idea and it apparently recorded the AxeFx3...which nearly blew me out of my chair. However, I can't downgrade to an app like that after I'm heavily invested in Cubase. The capabilities of these 2 apps are night and day. I need to get the AX3 working with Cubase. Others out there have done it and I want to get there. I've tried the Sternberg (Cubase) forum as well for this issue. However, to be clear - they suck - not one response. The guys on here actually make an effort to try and help each other, which I certainly appreciate it.

Chris - yah, I tried the audacity idea and it apparently recorded the AxeFx3...which nearly blew me out of my chair. However, I can't downgrade to an app like that after I'm heavily invested in Cubase. The capabilities of these 2 apps are night and day. I need to get the AX3 working with Cubase. Others out there have done it and I want to get there. I've tried the Sternberg (Cubase) forum as well for this issue. However, to be clear - they suck - not one response. The guys on here actually make an effort to try and help each other, which I certainly appreciate it.
It was a test. I am not suggesting a downgrade or changing.

Now that another app recorded, we know the issue is definitely within Cubase.

Cakewalk is still free :D Last I checked at least. I used to use Cubase many moons ago but haven't for quite a long time. Hopefully you get it sorted.

Maybe a good idea to pull out your Profire and make a setup only using the axe.
After getting it up running, expand from there.
For me it seems that the profire/axe combo could be a problem.
Did you try to make an axe/profire aggregate device?

Maybe upgrade to Cubase 9.5...

I’m on High sierra and Cubase Pro 9.5 and it’s flawless.

No need for complicated setup. A usb cable is enough...

Maybe a good idea to pull out your Profire and make a setup only using the axe.
After getting it up running, expand from there.
For me it seems that the profire/axe combo could be a problem.
Did you try to make an axe/profire aggregate device?

I'm willing to try that. How does one make an 'aggregate device'? I'm assuming that's allowing Cubase to use both the Profire and AxeFx drivers at the same time? If so, would appreciate instructions.

Chaos83p, have you already recorded in Cubase with an older Axe-Fx ?

Monitors from the axe output
Usb cable from the axe to the mac
In the mac preferences, select Axe-Fx 3 as audio device for input and output (maybe the wrong terms as my computer is not in English).

This should be ok as you can listen to iTunes music on your monitors via the Axe.

Then launch cubase.
Open a new project

In the connexion audio window, input page, add a bus.
Stereo in 1 L and R. For them select In 1 (Out 1 block L) and In 2 (Out 1 block R)

In the output page, for stereo out, select Out 1 (out 1 L) and Out 2 (out 1 R)

Create a new stereo track.

Open the « explorator window » for this track and select stereo in as input and stereo out as output.

Press the Rec button of the track. Press record in cubase and play.
What you hear is the sound from the axe, not what you’re recording.
You should see meters going up in the stereo in meters and the wave form drawing in the track.

Press stop. Make sure your track and stereo out are not muted.
Then press play and you should hear the (wet) track you’ve recorderd.

Sorry for my bad english.

This is a simple setup that should work as it works for me.
If there is a step that need more precision just tell.

Maybe upgrade to Cubase 9.5...

I’m on High sierra and Cubase Pro 9.5 and it’s flawless.

No need for complicated setup. A usb cable is enough...

If I knew that would solve the issue, I'd pay for a Cubase upgrade in a heartbeat. However, upgrading the OS would require buying a new cpu too - as this old iMac can't be upgraded any further. Not to mention, folks have been recording with AxeFx's and Cubase on older OS's for many years...so not sure why I can't.

Chaos83p, have you already recorded in Cubase with an older Axe-Fx ?

Monitors from the axe output
Usb cable from the axe to the mac
In the mac preferences, select Axe-Fx 3 as audio device for input and output (maybe the wrong terms as my computer is not in English).

This should be ok as you can listen to iTunes music on your monitors via the Axe.

Then launch cubase.
Open a new project

In the connexion audio window, input page, add a bus.
Stereo in 1 L and R. For them select In 1 (Out 1 block L) and In 2 (Out 1 block R)

In the output page, for stereo out, select Out 1 (out 1 L) and Out 2 (out 1 R)

Create a new stereo track.

Open the « explorator window » for this track and select stereo in as input and stereo out as output.

Press the Rec button of the track. Press record in cubase and play.
What you hear is the sound from the axe, not what you’re recording.
You should see meters going up in the stereo in meters and the wave form drawing in the track.

Press stop. Make sure your track and stereo out are not muted.
Then press play and you should hear the (wet) track you’ve recorderd.

Sorry for my bad english.

This is a simple setup that should work as it works for me.
If there is a step that need more precision just tell.

I've never gotten any AxeFx to record. FYI - the above does not work. No level in monitor, no sound going in, and no 'drawing' in the lane after record is pressed. I did however come across a new fun little message that might be a clue...I will try this again after restarting the Axe and CPU. I don't expect a different result as this is almost exactly step for step what I've been doing for the past few days.

upload_2018-11-13_16-7-3.png

I'm willing to try that. How does one make an 'aggregate device'? I'm assuming that's allowing Cubase to use both the Profire and AxeFx drivers at the same time? If so, would appreciate instructions.

Check this video out making an aggregate device with an axe-II and a Saffire
But I would strongly recommend to get things up running with the AXE-III first to isolate problems.

Just read a post with a similar problem and it was solved by only unplugging from the wall the soundcard. Worth a try.

EDIT: it could be a compatibility problem between El Capitan and Cubase 8. Someone wrote that his same issue was solved by upgrading to Cubase 8.0.40...

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread...
If you have KRK monitor do not connect the TRS and XLR at the same time or you won't hear anything.
Have you tried (probably have) changing the audio device in the Mac menu. ALT+F10/F11 and select it there. Then play some sound like an mp3.

Back
Top Bottom