Help! Classical or acoustic mic'd to my Axe FX

Hello all,

I am a total neophyte when it comes to the Axe FX, so please be gentle. I have watched several videos and searched through several threads in here with no luck in finding a solution (it may well have been right in front of me, but I didn’t understand the language or terminology).

MY GOAL: To play my classical (acoustic only) through a mic into my Axe FX and out of my monitors.

MY SETUP: Mic connected via XLR to Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface (hereafter “2i4”) into input 1 or 2 (phantom power on). 2i4 connected via USB to computer for power and connected to Axe FX II+ via two ¼” balanced TRS cables (coming from output 1&2 on the 2i4 to the “L(mono)” and R input on the back of the Axe FX, 1 goes to “L (mono) and 2 goes to “R”). Axe FX connected to two monitors via XLR. On my computer I have Playback= Axe FX/ Recording= 2i4

For good measure (and updates), I also have the 2i4 connected to the Axe FX via MIDI (2i4=out/ Axe=Input) and I believe I have the Axe FX connected to the computer via USB 2.0 (Axe= out/ Comp=in), but I’m not at home right now, so I can’t verify that.

I can play audio and sounds recorded with my mic in its current setup through my computer and it goes through the Axe FX and out of my monitors, so I’ve got some connections and settings right, yet I cannot get the 2i4 to transmit the live mic through to the Axe FX . I feel like I am close to a breakthrough, but am (clearly) missing something.

What is the best way to accomplish my goal? Is there a setting in the Axe FX that I’m forgetting to change? Can I use an existing preset or do I have to start one from scratch? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I can post pics once I get home at around 7 pm EST).

Cheers

Sounds like you need some help from Focusrite to find out why the 2i4 isn't outputting its mic inputs to its outputs. That would probably require a DAW or a mixer/routing application.

There's a direct monitor button on the Scarlett. Do you have that activated?
Hey, I only see a "stereo" and "mono" switch under the words "Direct Monitor", above that is a knob that allows you to vary the levels between input and playback (I have it set in the middle and have also tried setting it to both extremes to no avail. Next to the inputs there are switches between "line and instrument" I have tried both also with no success. Should I have the "pad" button on or off? Do I need to have a recording program or axe edit up on my computer before it will let me transmit the audio from the 2i4 to the axe fx? Sorry for the flurry of questions, but, as I warned, I am totally new to this.

Sounds like you need some help from Focusrite to find out why the 2i4 isn't outputting its mic inputs to its outputs. That would probably require a DAW or a mixer/routing application.
Before I get in touch with focusrite, do you know if the Axe fx requires DAW software open and settings set within the application to "read" the signal from the 2i4 and output it to my monitors, or is that something it should be doing automatically? Thanks.

Before I get in touch with focusrite, do you know if the Axe fx requires DAW software open and settings set within the application to "read" the signal from the 2i4 and output it to my monitors, or is that something it should be doing automatically? Thanks.
Got it- thanks for your suggestions! I'm not sure what it was that wasn't working, but I went to my I/O settings in the Axe FX and switched the "output 1" back and forth, and it started working- even though it ended up on the same setting it was on previously ("Stereo" which I assume is what I want it set to with output to two monitors). Thanks again for all your help, and speedy replies, and for showing why Fractal Forums rocks!

Back
Top Bottom