Help choosing FRFR

I've decided things sound pleasant enough now for me to start looking for a good FRFR setup.
I understand the Atomic CLR is a popular choice for this task. I live in Norway so shipping and toll fee will add a lot to the total cost, an alternative brand with an Norwegian dealer would probably be a better bang for the buck. Unless... there is something about the Atomic that separates them significantly from other monitors? Why are they especially good for monitoring guitar modelers?

When I decided to add an frfr setup to my conventional one I was asking the same question about CLR’s but eventually decided for the favor of passive XiTone’s cabs (I have Matrix amp).

The reasons:
1. Cheaper.
2. Smaller / lighter.
3. More durable.
4. Mike was nice to customize my set according to my requests.

Honestly speaking, I’ve never A/B’d them, I never even touched a CLR but overall I’m happy with the results, to my ears the XiTones does the job.

if you're this side of the atlantic, do yourself a favour and check out the RCFNX12sma and the RCFNX10sma. brilliant speakers and on a par with the CLR's. i've been using a pair of 10's for years and love them. everyone i've recommended them to who has tried them has also loved them.

if you're this side of the atlantic, do yourself a favour and check out the RCFNX12sma and the RCFNX10sma. brilliant speakers and on a par with the CLR's. i've been using a pair of 10's for years and love them. everyone i've recommended them to who has tried them has also loved them.

Different opinion here. I owned the 12SMA. I think the CLR is way ahead of the RCF.

much more expensive though...especially with shipping and tax. i'm happy with my little RCF's. i think the op should try them out and see what he thinks of them.

I've used both the RCF 12" and the CLR. I kept the CLR. The RCF had a pretty good bump in the lows or low mids that was difficult to deal with. It wouldn't surprise me if the 10" version is better in this way.

Another low end solution I would try out would be the Yamaha DXR-10; my band uses those as monitors, and they are surprisingly good for the price. Nexo processing, lots of power...

Thanks for suggestions! I know myself good enough not to go a low cost route if it means comprimizing sound quality in any way. I'll end up not using them if I feel they lack in any way. I was just thinking about the atomic because they where marketed especially towards guitar players but the extra shipping and tax might not be worth it compared to other solutions and I will not be able to test them first.
I tested some mackie srm650 for a while when I was using an amp into a two-notes torpedo. Didn't really connect with them but mostly because they actually had a noticeable lag. I haven't really found active monitors in the high end of the spectrum, just the consumer grade stuff from Yamaha, Mackie etc. Any suggestions if money's no object?

I respectfully disagree - I had the RCF NX10SMA's before the CLRs, and I think the CLRs are in a completely different league than the RCFs.

To @Funkmaskin - the CLRs are a real bargain at the current price point, you will not find anything at twice the price in Norway that will sound as good the CLRs.
I have no connection or affiliation to Atomic Amps, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Maybe this thread is one you'd be interested in reading if you haven't already :
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/atomic-clr-sonic-bliss-in-depth-review.71961/
Atomic has a european web shop, where the prices are the same as in US prices.

I actually overlooked that review. Nice. Made me want them:) The tax doesen't come into play before it crosses the Norwegian border but looking at my options they might still be the best alternative around. Thanks!

I want to try a pair of the RCFNX10s..I owned two Neo CLRs for a year, sounded great but nothing but problem's with them one after the other, sold them. I dont know what you guys do, if bedroom players or not, that's fine. But i play music fulltime, cant have these things die on gigs, like they did.

Last edited:
I want to try a pair of the RCFNX10s..I owned two Neo CLRs for a year, sounded great but nothing but problem's with them one after the other, sold them. I dont know what you guys do, if bedroom players or not, that's fine. But i play music fulltime, cant have these things die on gigs, like they did.

Make my living playing guitar, and have gigged my CLRs hard since april 2013 - never had a problem with them.

I will throw in the dynacord AXM 12", 90 x 90 dispersion, as you live in Norway. I went exactly the same route, talked to a guy at the big T-shop, who recomended the Dynacord over the RCF 10. A few users here have them also and will recommend them, do a search here. The Dynacords are a little smaller then the CLRs and they have a very powerful DSP with a 3 channel input mixer. The sound is absolutely balanced and I can hear the slightest nuances in all those cabs, awesome! I can´t understand why these monitors are so overlooked here. I would love to test them against CLRs but they are had to come by here. CLRs are regarded as champions here but the Dynacords may be a very usable alternative for 970 Euros or so. No, I am not affiliated to this brand and I am to old for fanboyism. The Xitone walliman wedge seems to be a very good option also - Mick produces 10" custom weges also and I would love to own one, but again, you have to add import taxes and customs...

Last edited:
Well, it could just be you that have been unlucky ....!?

I understand your frustration if you had problems with yours, but all I'm saying is that none of the guys that I know that tour or gig a lot with CLR's have had any problems with theirs.

Hmm , guess you're right there, i am unlucky, unlucky enough to send them right out the door and live to tell about it....sorry but im not the only one who have had issues... plenty of horror stories floating around.

btw: i have two dead power modules sitting here if anyone wants them for parts.

Last edited:
Hmm , guess you're right there, i am unlucky, unlucky enough to send them right out the door and live to tell about it....sorry but im not the only one who have had issues... plenty of horror stories floating around.

btw: i have two dead power modules sitting here if anyone wants them for parts.

That sucks that you have had to deal with that but like any equipment, there can be issues and it can be hit or miss. Years ago I had a LINE 6 Flextone II that immediately started having issues. I sent it back and the next one had issues. It was extremely irritating. The good thing though is there are tons of folks that have had no problems with the CLR.

+1 on this. Years on the NX12, still very satisfied. I hear a lot of comparisons, which don't influence me much. I like this speaker a lot and that's what counts. You might find it suits you too. What you like is what's important.

I would love to test them against CLRs but they are had to come by here

I've wanted to see that pretty badly myself. The Dynacord weighs as much as the neodymium version of the CLR, but it's $400 less, has more inputs, and more advanced DSP. If the sound and dispersion are equal the CLR, it would pretty quickly take over as the new king of the hill for modelers.

Back
Top Bottom