Help/Challenge for the strat players in the group

All -
Many significant improvements to amp modeling and amp collection as we've moved from Qv1 to Qv2 that have moved us ever closer to the tonal mecca. Of course this statement also holds true for many prior FW advancements.

A couple of the strattiest of the strat players that I've worked to tone-replicate with the tools in the Axe have been Cap'n Ray Vaughn (of course) and 'Lil Jackie Mayer. There's a good lexicon of Vaughn tones and capabilities in the Axe (presets and tips always welcome) -- what I haven't seen however is much around capturing Mayer's tone from the 2009 - 2010 "gravity" days. Regardless of your politics his tone is remarkable.

The Challenge -
With the amps, FX and cabs (nothing from the cab market off limits) how do we replicate Mayer's tone here, or here.

please note I've avoided leading the witness with info from the internet around his amp and fx chain.

Love,
m

I'm not familiar with the equipment John uses, except the strat. The fender models in Q2 are outstanding IMO and should be a great start.

Mmmmmm Gravity. That's my go-to jam. Haters can hate all they want.

IMO, a lot of it is technique ("the tone is in the hands, man"). I can cop a Mayer-esque tone with a Strat into a Lonestar or an LP Special into a Twin. He's into D-styles obviously but he has a giant amp collection and uses most of them.

Have you heard him since the switch to PRS? I'll miss the old tone, and I'm not a Grateful Dead fan, but I gotta say that he sounds great.

Hear any recommendations on this? It seems like I've gotten the closest with the Fender Bandmaster. Can't remember which cab...
I've tried the Dumble clones, but no luck there.

I've been trying to nail that tone for as long as I've had the Axe. I got pretty close at one point by cheating and using tone match on the intro of a high res copy of "Slow Dancing in A Burning Room" after trying my best to replicate his signal chain from that time. I'll try and dig it up and post it when I get home.

Have you heard him since the switch to PRS? I'll miss the old tone, and I'm not a Grateful Dead fan, but I gotta say that he sounds great.

I really dig the PRS sound he's got going... And I think he's got excellent chemistry with those guys. I saw them in DC and it was a phenomenal show, despite the fact that I'm only a casual Dead fan.

RE: the old tone, I've been keeping up with his Instagram and Snapchat posts from in the studio with Steve and Pino and he's been using strats. If anything, his tone is even strattier than before. He was also using a '52 tele on Periscope and a Gibby L5 for some overdubs. They've got a super funky sound going. I'm excited for this new record.

Back
Top Bottom