HELP - can't get a decent HIGH GAIN tone

Uh, that was five months ago.
Well, EMG batteries are meant to last 3000 hours (aka 125 days) of use according to them. Even if we round down to 110 days to be generous, there's only 150 days in five months anyway.

I highly doubt he's playing 17.5 hours a day every day since March.

We could say he's running two pickups and halve it, then he'd only need to be playing nine hours a day... Or as the usual advice goes, best practice is changing your battery biannually.

Well, EMG batteries are meant to last 3000 hours (aka 125 days) of use according to them. Even if we round down to 110 days to be generous, there's only 150 days in five months anyway.

We could say he's running two pickups and halve it, then he'd only need to be playing nine hours a day... Or as the usual advice goes, best practice is changing your battery biannually.
I've used EMG 81s in the majority of my guitars for 30 years, and changing batteries once a year is more than good enough, even if your playing a 6 hour gig 3 nights a week, 52 weeks a year.... hell I've got a 2008 bc rich Jr v Deluxe still rocking the original battery cause I hardly play it. I just checked with my multimeter and its still reading nice and juicy.... that's 10 years folks.

Additionally, simply backing off your volume knob on your guitar a little, is enough to remove the preamp clipping. EMGs are very dynamic pickups.

Additionally, simply backing off your volume knob on your guitar a little, is enough to remove the preamp clipping. EMGs are very dynamic pickups.
Isn't the volume control after the input to the pickup, rather than before it? I'm showing my ignorance here, but I thought that was the case - that the volume knob controls the output of the guitar, not the input of the pickup.

Yep, I agree. I think I will look into getting other pickups for my Ibanez and see if I can achieve better results with the axe. Thx again to everyone here for your help.

Still I find strange how the presets of other people (e.g. Jason Richardson, Rings of Saturn, Interloper, Northlane, Periphery) sound radically different (in a bad way) with my axe. Could this be a matter of guitar for the most part? Do some of you experience the same result with official presets you bought?

Any changes you make have to be because you want to make the change. Lots of times people come to this forum and end up walking away having spent a whole tonne of cash they wern’t Expecting based on advice. You should absolutely be able to get any sound you want with any combination. It just requires the secret combination of thing only you can find for yourself.
I’ll be blunt and say that I don;t like the sound of your guitar.....but then I’m not the one playing it so doesn’t mater what I think.
Just be aware that no matter how strange it is, unless a preset has a super distinctive sound or you have the EXACT same gear as someone eles , presets more often than not sound nothing like anything on YouTube.
I will admit though, the preset of mine you tried does sound more similar than I was expecting it too.

He could have left it plugged in by accident. And I’ve had batteries fail, brand new ones in a wireless 9v got through three songs and gone. A multimeter checking the voltage will tell for sure.

Assuming he remembers to unplug the guitar after use...

Still I find strange how the presets of other people (e.g. Jason Richardson, Rings of Saturn, Interloper, Northlane, Periphery) sound radically different (in a bad way) with my axe. Could this be a matter of guitar for the most part? Do some of you experience the same result with official presets you bought?

Using a different guitar will account for a fair bit of the differences, though playing style can definitely be a factor, as well as what's actually being played. This transcends the Axe FX, though. I have a Kemper, and many of the commercial profiles I've purchased sound quite a bit different using my guitar (Les Paul) than the demos created by the vendor on YouTube and SoundCloud, despite the fact that some of them were recorded with a Les Paul.

Woah woah woah ok let's start over. Change that battery and report back please lol. Yeah they may be rated for 6896hrs of playing but maybe ya got a "bad egg" in there lol

Also important to remember that a 9 volt battery does not give 9 volts over its entire useful life. Maybe it starts at 9.6 volts, drops to 9 about half way through, and as you’ve got some use on the battery, maybe it’s at 8 volts or something now.

As for other people’s presets (bands, etc) I’ve had almost no luck with other people’s presets. Every once in a while there is one where the gear, playing style, etc lines up and it works well with my setup, but often people are going for different feels or sounds, they have different hands, different guitars, speakers, rooms, etc. Many band presets also tend to be made for recording, so they’ll sound like shit by themselves but get them double tracked in a mix with bass and drums, and they’re awesome.

Get a patch that’s a few firmware’s old, and all the issues are multiplied as now it also sounds different than it originally did on the firmware it was made for.

I listened through akg 701’s and sony 7506’s. It sounded trebly and fizzy on the 7506’s but good on the akg’s. The 7506’s can sound harsh to my ears in the higher freqs. I also listened through some Audioengine a5’s as a stereo type of reference and I thought it sounded good.

What are you listening to this on?
iPad Pro.
I know iPad speakers.....but you can tell when something’s bad. The amount of times I’ve exported sound clips, put them in my iCloud Drive and listened to them on this thing. Think of it as a grot box

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom