Help! Axe-Fx Sync Timeout!

Wildwind

Experienced
I'm suddenly getting this message on my MFC controller. Axe II screen looks normal. If I restart the Axe, it usually disappears, but often I get the patch location code but no patch name. Sometimes changing patches brings it back to normal, sometimes not. Sometimes I can change patches (on the MFC) and nothing changes.

FW 9.02. Tried different RJ45 cables, same result.

Any idea how to fix this? Didn't find anything in a search but will keep looking. Gig tonight and tomorrow, really don't want to use my MIDI Moose.

Have you tried connectivity with known good, short ethernet cable (10' or under)?

I assume you've ensured the connectors are clean and secure, all that cables making solid contact, etc. and nothing is physically broken...?

Cables are short - 3' or thereabouts. I just bought a new 3-footer, will try that. Rick, not sure what FW is on it, will try to figure that out. It just came back from Fractal for a repair (just a paint problem, nothing wrong with it) and has worked fine always.

FW is 2.02. Guess I need to figure out how to update it. I'll try the new cable first.

New cable didn't change anything. I'll look into the FW issue. Any other ideas? I have about 2 hours before I have to leave (6:00 EDT).

Okay, trying for the second time to update to FW 2.15. Following the instructions that came with it (also the Wiki). MIDI-OX says its sending, but there is no change on the display and I'm still on FW 2.02. What am I doing wrong? I'll search the forums again, but getting nervous. However, the MFC is working for the most part. It's mainly when changing banks the trouble begins, and I should be able to avoid that.

Be warned, if you upgrade mfc to 2.15 you will need to update your IAs afterwards... Just so you don't have any surprises. Also I'd recommended flipping between preset/song/set mode then back to your original setting... This would make sure your bank size setting is correct otherwise you can get some odd behavior or lockups. Good luck!

Thanks, I kind of figured it would wipe out my programming. Fortunately mine is quite simple at this point. But I can't get the upgrade to work...on my 6th attempt. Make that 7th. Running out of ideas.

Wildwind, did you set the MFC back to MIDI mode before trying to upgrade?

One the MFC, push Exit/Save, then MIDI, then Down, then Exit/Save.

Yes, I saw that on the MFC forum and switched it. It's still not upgrading. MIDI-OX runs to completion, but the MFC display never changes. Still on FW 2.02 and my problems remain. I've tried the upgrade two different ways - straight from the PC and through the Axe-Fx as in the Wiki.

You are using MIDI cables, right?

Are you using the Axe-FX 2 MIDI out to the MFC MIDI in? Tried a different MIDI cable?

I've tried MIDI (USB to MIDI from PC). Straight MIDI from Axe to MFC. And Yek's alternative of using the Axe and MIDI cable. Several variations.

The one recurring theme - the display on the MFC does not change from FW Update. Never. MIDI-Ox transmits happily enough. I followed step-by-step instructions from the Forum.

I know my MIDI cable is good as it works with my Tech 21 MIDI Moose. But it is the only one I have, so I can't easily try another.

Gig tonight just cancelled so I have the evening to fix this, but have to play in the morning. I can get by with the Moose, but hate to if I can help it.

So I'll be right here if anyone has a eureka moment. I sure could use one. Thanks everyone.

I have a video that shows the process on Mac, but maybe you can get some tips from it? Just the computer commands would be different. Link is in my signature below.

Sure all this covered elsewhere but When i have had issues like that... Make sure midi out on pc to midi in on mfc, don't connect anything to midi out on mfc or it will cause problems and then also In midi-ox check your sysex configs... Make them really slow and seems to help:
Low level output buffers size 128
Low level output buffers num 16 ( or 8 )
Uncheck auto adjustment
Check delay after F7 and set both boxes to 120ms delay.

Thanks guys. Chris, I'll check out your video, used your stuff a lot when I first got my stuff.

Am I wasting my time with the USB to MIDI cable? Someone else said that won't work (after I ordered it).

I am not at all sure I have MIDI-OX configured right, have been trying all kinds of things, can't get the MFC display to show progress for anything.

Maybe I should load up my windows install and see if I can make sense of midi-ox. So many people have trouble with it. Can you try Bomes SysEx?

On Mac with SysEx librarian, no settings need to be adjusted for successful loading of axe or MFC files.

As for the USB-midi, I use the m-audio uno with no troubles as well as the Ethernet and midi cable method (USB adaptor mode).

Again, my vid runs through all of those connections, so hopefully one of those works.

With your Update screen never changing to a progress meter, it makes me think something is wrong with a connection or something - somehow the data isn't getting to the MFC.

Keep us updated!

Okay, let me show you this:

Can't figure out to make this appear. I get a dialogue box when I try to unzip the FW upgrade, never seen this happen before. It says "central and local directory mismatch for file (names the file - happens to all three in the ZIP). But the file appeared where I directed it to unzip, and I can open the text file. I downloaded it twice to different locations, hoping for a different result. Didn't happen.

Could I have a bad .syx file?

But I still think my MIDI stuff isn't configured right...

Thanks Chris. Watching your vid now. MIDI-OX is what I have, the only thing I've ever used (about four times every decade - usually it just works without me messing with stuff). I'll gladly try another package, though.

More soon as I peruse the video. Thanks for doing these - amazing work!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom