Help! Axe-Fx Standard keeps wiping presets on power up

Hey everyone

I'm hoping to find any useful troubleshooting info you may have, my axe fx standard has been in a hardcase in storage, just setup a new workstation in apartment and I'm finding when I powered on the unit all my previous presets were gone, all 383 banks empty. I have managed to resync all of the Standard's original presets using AxeEdit, but this morning when I turned on the unit again everything was gone again!

I'm really hoping I can figure this out and get my unit back to its proper functionality, this thing is a great product and I'll be crushed if I cant fix it >_<

My unit is running firmware verison 11.00 (May 8 2011)

I would start with replacing the battery unless that has already been done recently.

Do you have any instructions available about how this is done? I had no clue this unit has a replaceable battery. Just to re-iterate incase it was overlooked I have an original Axe-FX Standard...Do I need to remove the casing and access the interior of the unit to replace this battery? What type of battery is it? Any other special considerations with replacing a units battery?

Yeah every time I turn on the unit after being left off all the presets are wiped :(

Remove top cover you will see the battery on the board
Watch the wire for the fan its attached to the cover

Thanks guys, I just found a youtube video and the unit in the video definitely had the same behavior as mine so here's hoping it works! I'll repost with news of my success or failure.

The battery is dead. They last about 10 years so...

It's a CR2450. Pretty standard. Simply pull the old one out and put a new one in. Be sure to observe the polarity.

The battery is dead. They last about 10 years so...

It's a CR2450. Pretty standard. Simply pull the old one out and put a new one in. Be sure to observe the polarity.
If changing the battery preemptively, do you recommend keeping the unit powered when replacing the battery?

yeah it was totally the battery, easy replacement item, thanks for the help everyone! sadly I seem to have lost my 10 years worth of custom presets, the loss is tremendous, but im happy the unit is back to normal :D

i thought so, i had files that date back from 2014 but when I tried to load them in AxeEdit the layouts are blank, even the files names are just 000, 001, 002, and not the actual custom names i made for my presets so i think i'm shit outta luck.

yeah it was totally the battery, easy replacement item, thanks for the help everyone! sadly I seem to have lost my 10 years worth of custom presets, the loss is tremendous, but im happy the unit is back to normal :D

Oooh sorry to read this, some of us learned this lesson by the hard way: backup your unit from time to time!

OK, question! I have a used Ultra on the way and after reading this I think I should just put a fresh battery in it right off the bat. I'm not too concerned with presets out of the box, but I guess my question is... is the previously installed firmware version and all the amp/effects/cab/etc models still in there after removing the battery?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom