Help! At a gig right now!

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
My axe II keeps cutting out on me. I have signal to it, but the output signal keeps dropping out. I reboot, and it's fine. When I shut it off, there's a pop at the board, so I don't think it's a cable. We've changed the cable 3 times, have tried left and right output 1. Haven't tried output 2 yet.

I am on break right now because last time I reboot it only worked for a minute. Any ideas?

Man, that sucks. The problem would either be physical, I.e cables or logical (with your patches). If you start from the guitar and see that you have input signal as expected, and tried replacing the cable from the axe to FoH - I'd try selecting one if the factory presets and see if that works. Not ideal and it would get you through.

And for completeness sake - the 3rd alternative is that there's something physically wrong with your Axe Fx, but there wouldn't be anything you could likely do about that.

actually i'm just about to go back into a photo shoot :|

hope you got it sorted out! but drop into chat anyway after the gig :p

Ok, so I had to get back on stage. That set went flawless. Weird.

I did two things: I thought maybe it was overheating because we're outdoors and it's been on since soundcheck, so I had it off the entire break and put a fan on it.

The other thing I did was unplug my vafam panel and go straight to the back of the axe fx. I don't think this was the problem because normally a bad cable cackles or cuts in and out rapidly, not completely dead suddenly. I think it was overheating. I'll put it through the paces tomorrow again.

I do have an expression pedal that controls volume. I wiggled that to make sure it wasn't the problem.

The very strange thing is that it worked after a reboot and when the output stopped again, it was totally 100% muted. No scratchy, no cut in/out. Once it was out, no amount of wiggling cables or pedals could bring it back; only turning it off and on, which brought it back at full volume.

Anyway, I shut it off on breaks and it got me through the night. I am going to email support and see if they think this is something I should send in. I need the unit back by Friday though.

I do have an expression pedal that controls volume. I wiggled that to make sure it wasn't the problem.

The very strange thing is that it worked after a reboot and when the output stopped again, it was totally 100% muted. No scratchy, no cut in/out. Once it was out, no amount of wiggling cables or pedals could bring it back; only turning it off and on, which brought it back at full volume.

Anyway, I shut it off on breaks and it got me through the night. I am going to email support and see if they think this is something I should send in. I need the unit back by Friday though.

Are you using active pickups?

The only time I've ever had a problem with an Axe (was my old Ultra) was playing a baking hot outdoor gig - was exhibiting the exxact same behavior.
Ok, so I had to get back on stage. That set went flawless. Weird.

I did two things: I thought maybe it was overheating because we're outdoors and it's been on since soundcheck, so I had it off the entire break and put a fan on it.

The other thing I did was unplug my vafam panel and go straight to the back of the axe fx. I don't think this was the problem because normally a bad cable cackles or cuts in and out rapidly, not completely dead suddenly. I think it was overheating. I'll put it through the paces tomorrow again.

This is interesting.....I was at a gig last night and I had a few drop outs.
I figured it was my guitar jack or cable....but I tested everything between sets and found no issues with the cable or guitar.
I don't use a wireless, I don't use active pick ups.

I loaded 15.7 a few hours before the gig....that is the only thing that was 'new' in my set up.

funny, just before my 3rd set on thursday, all output from my axe was "scratchy" for a few minutes, then it came back no problem.

i did have a different piece of gear racked in with it (eureka mic preamp) and i think it runs hotter than anything else i had with the axe. so i wonder if mine also overheated? i did move the rack so more air could get in, but i felt that solved the problem too quickly to be the solution, but maybe it was?

What else is in your rack, Sid? Is it filled top to bottom? Anything directly on top or bottom that throws a lot of heat? What type of rack is it?

Back
Top Bottom