Help and Advice "CLR"

Azael

Power User
Hi, my CLR active wedge arrived yesterday, don´t know why but is bassy or too low end, is normal?
I have to tweak the mid and treb almost 8.00, have Gen1 by the way, any advice is welcome, thanks.

Azael.

I had a similar experience and I ended up returning it. I could not make it work for me.

Your patches have probably been set up to be too bassy. The CLR is very flat. Try playing a CD recording through it and you'll see that it is well balanced. Set up your patches on the CLR from scratch to sound good and they will translate well anywhere. I have very accurate reference monitors in my studio ATC100a and the CLR compare very favourably. If your patches are sounding boomy they are boomy. It's not the CLR. I gave found them to be very accurate and having set up my patches from scratch have found they translate well to large PAs and studio monitors. Have fun
James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your patches have probably been set up to be too bassy. The CLR is very flat. Try playing a CD recording through it and you'll see that it is well balanced. Set up your patches on the CLR from scratch to sound good and they will translate well anywhere. I have very accurate reference monitors in my studio ATC100a and the CLR compare very favourably. If your patches are sounding boomy they are boomy. It's not the CLR. I gave found them to be very accurate and having set up my patches from scratch have found they translate well to large PAs and studio monitors. Have fun
James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but set up a patch from the scratch and have to tweak mid and treb almost 8.00 to sound good, the crispy rich sound gone, I mean sounds great very accurate but my question is if is normal? I think is the real sound of my Standard :(
Any advice? Thanks

Thanks but set up a patch from the scratch and have to tweak mid and treb almost 8.00 to sound good, the crispy rich sound gone, I mean sounds great very accurate but my question is if is normal? I think is the real sound of my Standard :(
Any advice? Thanks
Hi Azael,

James' advice is right on. I'd like to add that you should set up your patches with your ears not your eyes. Don't worry about how the tone controls read. Also try some other cabinets. They can make a huge difference. If you want to contact me personally for help, please feel free to do so.

Best,

Tom

This is probably the real sound if that patch/rig. Try a different IR wind back the bass in the cab block to cut up to 90hz. Play some CD material through it just to give you confidence it is well balanced. I have a gen 2 Axe FX so can only comment in that. However playing CD recordings through the CLR will prove to you its not boomy. It's well balanced.

needs more info...there are possibly dozens of ways to address this in the AxeFx.

- what orientation? Are rear switches in correct position for the orientation used?
- what speakers system did you use previously to tweak/create your patches?
- what amp type and cab types are you using? What guitar/musical style?
- reduce the bass tone parameter on the amp block?
- reduce the lowest bands of EQ on the Global EQ?
- have you tried filter block? High pass filter before or after the amp to reduce low end
- Amp Block: reduce DEEP parameter? Adjust LOW-CUT FREQ? LF Resonance? SPKR RES FREQ?
- Cab Block? audition other cabinets/IRs? Using any mic emulations?

etc., etc., etc.

Tutorials and How-Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

needs more info...there are possibly dozens of ways to address this in the AxeFx.

- what orientation? Are rear switches in correct position for the orientation used?
- have you tried filter block? High pass filter before or after the amp to reduce low end
- Amp Block: reduce DEEP parameter? Adjust LOW-CUT FREQ? LF Resonance? SPKR RES FREQ?

etc., etc., etc.

Thank you, thank you, thank you jimfist - this post will come in handy when I eventually get my invite from Atomic for two active wedge CLRs! :)

This is probably the real sound if that patch/rig. Try a different IR wind back the bass in the cab block to cut up to 90hz. Play some CD material through it just to give you confidence it is well balanced. I have a gen 2 Axe FX so can only comment in that. However playing CD recordings through the CLR will prove to you its not boomy. It's well balanced.

Thanks James.

etc., etc., etc.

Thanks, today I change the CLR position and I´ll try that.

Can also be your room. CLRs are full range but not boomy. Most "good" guitar tone is mids without much or any low end. That is where the IR choice becomes critical. Also the ultra may need eq to remove unwanted "flub" after you have chosen your desired IR.

Azael, I was having a similar experience until I moved them into wedge position, and changed the preset switch to "tilt". That made all the difference for me.

Azael, I was having a similar experience until I moved them into wedge position, and changed the preset switch to "tilt". That made all the difference for me.

Thanks mrstrat, but the only position I have tried is wedge with "tilt" I´ll try the other positions to experiment, thanks again.

Yeah, do not underestimate both the room boominess and the surface/material the wedge lays on. Ensure it's not on wood, specially if empty inside (like a small wooden stage, for example). Keep it far from corners and walls.
Can you try it outside, on the ground? If not, try another room anyway, and put it in the middle (on the ground). Also, keep the volume low when you first try.
All of the above is meant to minimize the room's and material's resonance.
The CLRs are 70-18000 Hz +\- 2,5 dB, they can't be boomy by themselves :)

Hi, my CLR active wedge arrived yesterday, don´t know why but is bassy or too low end, is normal?
I have to tweak the mid and treb almost 8.00, have Gen1 by the way, any advice is welcome, thanks.

Azael.

What genre of music do you play?

Have you run full range music (and/or test tones) through them?

What I find, and I've been very systematic about it, is that you need to correlate your perception with actual program music and test tones to better gauge what the speaker can and cannot do. Once you've done that (ensuring proper gain staging, proper settings (depending on how you have it setup ie. wedge position = tilt).... THEN plug in your Axe-FX and have at it.

Try that and see if it works better/worse. These speakers are anything but 'too much' or 'too little' anything IMHO and experience. That's proved out with 40+ gigs and daily use/testing/work.

I also think the CLR's compare very favorably to studio monitors.

I play mine in my mix room in the "tilt" position as wedges and they sound stellar.

Try creating a preset from scratch with just an amp and cab all with default settings.

Most all of the Marshall amp models + Basketweave mix cab just sound good on all defaults with my CLR's.

Not necessarily the end all be all of tone but a very realistic and acceptable tone.

(Also, I have downloaded some of LVC's presets and they sound really good on my CLR's too. So other folks presets can translate well to the CLR's.)

Presets created on flat system won't be boomy. For the rest, you need to compensate with earlier discussed methods.

This applies to the Axe FX II- no experience with the gen 1 standard or ultra.
As noted above, I think you have to pay a good bit of attention to where you place the CLRs in your playing space. I struggle with this when using them in the room where I keep my gear and less so when I set them up in our larger living space (more open space, better acoustics). I prefer the CLR's on PA poles and with the switch set for that position. Away from corners is critical. And I had to rework my patches at first- was running the Axe II through smaller studio monitors before getting the CLRs. I find studio monitors (smaller ones specifically) work better in smaller spaces- makes sense though since they're intended for near-field monitoring. But I prefer the bigger sound of big speakers, coming from playing through analog guitar amps for many years (and typically larger (big iron) vintage models at that).

Back
Top Bottom