Help an AXE-FX II rookie.

ColinW

Hey fellow guitar players!

I hate to sound like a total rookie when it comes to using my brand new Axe-FX II Mark II.
I recently purchased this amazing piece of gear back in December and I'm overly excited to use it!! However, due to a really bad rock climbing accident in October, I am away from my home, all the electric guitars & my Marshall 4x12. I have a Taylor acoustic/electric and an old rip off Stratocaster here at my parents house while in recovery. I have a Carvin Tube Power Amp for my new rack setup and the Axe-FX. How do you guys set it up so you can play into it with an acoustic/electric or electric guitar with headphones without powering/plugging into an amp? I turn it on, plug in the guitar and headphones and there's nothing but a minor buzzing sound. Even adjusted the output levels 1 & 2. I've looked everywhere and I can't find the right answers, or I'm not looking hard enough. Am I doing something wrong to where I can't play through the processor alone with headphones without it being plugged into an amp? I've been playing guitar for over 12 years and it's a lifetime passion! But, due to recovery and traumatic brain injury...my amps are in Seattle, WA and I'm in San Diego, CA. If need be, I'll just go buy a 2x12 or small cab from somewhere to play through.

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to use this thing non-stop.....I'm a devout Dream Theater fan and our Axe-FX II was just what I needed to get my tone where it should be. ;)

Yeah buddy, brand new cord and headphones. Same with the Taylor acoustic, its new. When it's turned on and the guitars are plugged in, the first two green Input lights are on and when I play, the 3rd yellow/amber light is on as well. Wasn't sure if I needed to adjust the input/output setting on a preset channel. I'm brand new to this. Im only used to playing through a marshall half-stack or Line6 practice amp.

Go to I/O and tab over to audio and make sure that the front input is selected, or rear if you're using the rear input. Could be that?

Strat714, When I pushed the I/O button, it came up as Input and I needed to turn down the INSTR IN(instrument input I'm guessing) down to 5.1%-5.5% to keep the input lights within the first two green ones. If it was up to 10%-15% i'd get a yellow light, so i was careful to keep it down. Didn't want it to clip. Under I/O Audio, the Main input source is: Analog (In 1). The only other choice is USB or SPDIF/AES. I chose Analog.

Also, anyone have ideas as to why my headphones have a constant buzzing sound? I can't get a clear guitar sound. I can hear the guitar very quietly. I've tried quite a few of the first presets and stopped at 012 for USA Clean. It's the same for all of them.

Really appreciate all the help! It's just a complex little system with so many things to change or buttons to push. Wouldn't want to mess it up!

I needed to turn down the INSTR IN(instrument input I'm guessing) down to 5.1%-5.5% to keep the input lights within the first two green ones. If it was up to 10%-15% i'd get a yellow light, so i was careful to keep it down. Didn't want it to clip.

Slightly off topic, but you actually want the INSTR IN set so it "tickles the red".

If it wasn't a 3 hour drive (each way), I would love to help you figure this out in person. Probably something real simple (I hope). Sounds like you're in no shape to travel either.

I wish I was employed by Fractal Audio to be live tech support available by phone or Video chat or whatever, Mon. through Fri., 9 am to 5 pm to help people out with stuff like this.

(Better than driving a truck all day)

Last edited:
If it wasn't a 3 hour (each way) drive, I would love to help you figure this out in person. Probably something real simple (I hope). Sounds like you're in no shape to travel either.

Thanks for the consideration buddy. I can be a passenger in a car, just not cleared to drive yet. Otherwise, I'd pack up before the Super Bowl, bring the Axe-FX and a case of beer over to learn more in depth about this thing.

Zmonk, I wasn't aware you need your input light's level barely checking on and off the red light! I had read that was called "clipping" the channel and too much volume was being used inwardly. Little did I know, the red lights go on several sound levels before a clip happens. Thanks man!

Thanks for the consideration buddy. I can be a passenger in a car, just not cleared to drive yet. Otherwise, I'd pack up before the Super Bowl, bring the Axe-FX and a case of beer over to learn more in depth about this thing.

Seriously, any time you're up to it.

With the input lights moving when you play, things should be okay. It means the unit is seeing a signal in.

Are you sure the headphone jack is in and seated properly? Are you using a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter with the headphones? Have you tested the headphones (and adapter if applicable) with any other gear to make sure their cable/jack isn't shorting or something?

Is the bypass light lit?

I hate to ask possibly dumb obvious questions, but these type of things usually have one of those kind of answers. :)

Good call Hellcat! I am indeed using an adapter for the headphones input jack. The headphones are brand new and sound great when plugged into my Mac for iTunes. I bought an adapter at Best Buy and they said it should work fine. One thing I have noticed is when I physically touch the Axe-Fx or adjust the cable, the buzzing sound lowers a slight amount, but not completely. There's still an annoying buzz. I've also tried using my aviation pilot headphones(my job), only inserting the audio jack, since its the same size. Same feature. Constant buzzing sound. There's got to be a way around this, I'm not just putting the few pieces together to find out how.

Do you have anything else that you can plug "Output 1" into? A powered PA speaker or monitor. Mom and Dads favorite stereo? A boom box?

Do you have anything else that you can plug "Output 1" into? A powered PA speaker or monitor. Mom and Dads favorite stereo? A boom box?

I'm pretty sure I could find something around there. They have older speakers for a stereo system and boom box. But, if the plugs aren't compatible with my axe-fx, i'm half tempted to go pick up a small cab or monitor to at least plug into and hear some music. Any suggestions dude? What about a computer set up with speakers? How do those work? Ive seen videos of guys like Cooper Carter adjusting his axe-fx directly with a computer and playing. But, there could be an amp that's not shown too. Again, I'm a total f***ing rookie with a rack set-up for my guitars! Playing through this high tech of a processor will be a learning curve. It's a little harder when you've bashed the shit out of your head rock climbing after a 50ft fall and have a T.B.I :roll :mrgreen

Last edited:
You'll need some adapters.

Maybe it's the headphone jack on the Axe FX? Try using audio over USB to your computer. Plug your headphones into the computer.

Maybe it's the headphone jack on the Axe FX? Try using audio over USB to your computer. Plug your headphones into the computer.

Could very well be the jack. Good point. How do you go about plugging the axe-fx into your computer without a USB plug? Do i have to change something in the I/O menu?

No USB connection on the Computer? or no USB cable? how computer audio savvy are you? Maybe the best bet is, a couple of adapters and a stereo?

Sorry man, i must've paraphrased that wrongly. I certainly have a USB cable and several outlets on my computer. I just wasn't sure if you weren't supposed to attach it with a USB cord because you said "Try using audio over USB" I didn't understand that part. Do i need to make any changes on the Axe-Fx box for audio only on the computer? I'll play around with it and see what happens! Thanks again for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

On the computer you will have to change the audio preferences to 'Axe FX' for the input. But leave the output the same so that the sound come out of your computer and its headphone jack. You might need to download and install the USB drivers from the Fractal website before your computer recognizes the Axe FX ?

If you can get ahold of another pair of headphones that don't need an adapter my guess is you will be in business.

Back
Top Bottom