Help Adjusting...

To the new firmware. Tried it a few times but I think something is seriously wrong. A Mark IV patch with two ODs and a GEQ should not sound almost clean. I am coming from 8.02, and I know the drives and amp values were reworked. Tried a few times by ear to get things right but haven't been able to do so. So, I am asking for help with the changes.
So if I have a Super OD's drive at 5.00, what how much would I need to change in order for it to have the same gain level as it did in 8.02? Same thing with a Mark IV amp with the drive at 5, what change would I need? Any help would be very much appreciated! I want to enjoy the new firmware like the rest of you.

You aren't the first person to report Mark patches having less gain after the upgrade. Shredi and someone else were talking about it on RigTalk.

Try just resetting the block and starting from scratch, using your ears to dial in the tone. I reworked my lead patch (USA Lead 1) and I don't find that I am missing any saturation as compared to previous firmware.

stevehollx said:
Try just resetting the block and starting from scratch, using your ears to dial in the tone.

+1 to this. Copy your existing preset to an unused location, then copy it again to a neighboring unused location. You can then easily compare A and B as you make changes to B. With Axe-Fx 9.0, chances are good that you'll come up with something that sounds better than your old A.

stevehollx said:
You aren't the first person to report Mark patches having less gain after the upgrade. Shredi and someone else were talking about it on RigTalk....

I finally made the switch to 9.0 (after going back and forth 4 times between it and the old firmware :roll: .... :lol: ) and now have my Mark patches sounding even better than they did with 8.09. I'm planning on starting a thread that lists all the changes I made to get the tone more to my liking to try and help out the guys having trouble with their Mesa Mark tones and 9.0.

As far as gain, you need to turn the Amp sims's Master control up some. I ended up adding about 1.50 to my old setting (from 3.23 to 4.76 ), though the tone wasn't anything I would call "almost clean" before I did that.

shredi knight said:
I'm planning on starting a thread that lists all the changes I made to get the tone more to my liking to try and help out the guys having trouble with their Mesa Mark tones and 9.0.
I have just started messing with the mark models. Never had one nor played one before. Just clips I've heard and what not. I have something pretty fun but I'd love to see what a seasoned mark tweaker has to say about what they are doing. :ugeek:

Oh, I didn't notice any lack of gain. Plus one on starting from scratch.

I have started it from scratch and the tone is nowhere near where it was. The gain is way down, and I already have the master control at 8.54. I guess I have to max it out.

Rogue said:
shredi knight said:
I'm planning on starting a thread that lists all the changes I made to get the tone more to my liking to try and help out the guys having trouble with their Mesa Mark tones and 9.0.
I have just started messing with the mark models. Never had one nor played one before. Just clips I've heard and what not. I have something pretty fun but I'd love to see what a seasoned mark tweaker has to say about what they are doing. :ugeek:

Well, maybe one will chime in here because I never played one before either (I'm just a Mesa Mark tone fanboy :lol: ).

Devastationdynasty said:
I have started it from scratch and the tone is nowhere near where it was. The gain is way down, and I already have the master control at 8.54. I guess I have to max it out.

With just 1 Drive block in front as a clean boost (Drive 0, Level full), I have plenty of gain with the Amp sim's Drive at 6.81 and the Master at 4.76. In fact, most people would say it's too much gain (like Mark Day youtube clip/live John Petrucci amounts). :mrgreen: 8.54 on the Master would be way too much and would sound like total mud on my patches.

Sounds like something isn't right. Are your non-Mesa Mark patches low on gain as well? How high do you have your Input level set (maybe it got accidentally bumped down when you upgraded the firmware)? I don't believe anything changed between 8.02 and 9.0 that would affect the gain as much as you are describing.

Crucified said:
the drive needs to be at 12 o clock for it to be at "0" now i thought. or did that get changed again.

That was quickly changed back in firmware 8.03 (after it was changed in 8.01), so "0" really means "0" now. :mrgreen:

From the 8.03 release notes:

Drive block Drive control to replicate range of modeled device. Previously the Drive control had a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model.
Now the Drive control range varies from 20 dB to 40 dB depending on the model. NOTE: exisiting presets will likely sound different and should be auditioned.
The following models are affected by this change:
-
SUPER OD
-
TS808 OD
-
TS808 MOD
-
FULL OD
-
SHRED DIST
-