Help a newbie please....

I finally made the upgrade to the II from my Standard. I'm still playing around with it and figuring things out. My issue is that I made some awesome sounding patches today using my Tom Anderson Drop Top with an HN3+ in the bridge. I then plugged in my Suhr with DA in the bridge and my patches sounded bad. It was like turning the input level all the way down on my Standard or as if I turned the volume knob on my guitar way down. It lost all its balls. Same thing with my Gibson LP with Suhr DA, Jackson PC-1 with Dimarzio Tone Zone, and ESP Eclipse with EMGs.

I realize different guitars will effect the tone but I swear I never encountered this with my Standard and if I switched to a guitar with a lower output pickup I'd just turn the input level up on the front.

What can I do besides tweak my patches each time I play a different guitar?

I'd appreciate all the help you guys can offer.

Oh and I'm playing through two passive Atomic Reactor cabs and an ART SLA2.

Thanks

Figure out which control you bumped when you changed guitars. :)

There shouldn't be a radical drop in volume when you switch guitars. Does it sound good again when you raise the volume to match how loud it is with your Drop Top? Does it sound good again when you switch back to your Drop Top?

Also need to know what you mean by "balls." Midrange roar? Bass? Or...?

If it's just a level issue, use Amp Gain in the Global menu to compensate between guitars. That's what it's for.

Figure out which control you bumped when you changed guitars. :)

There shouldn't be a radical drop in volume when you switch guitars. Does it sound good again when you raise the volume to match how loud it is with your Drop Top? Does it sound good again when you switch back to your Drop Top?

Also need to know what you mean by "balls." Midrange roar? Bass? Or...?

I meant that the gain dropped significantly as if I rolled back on the volume knob of my guitar.

that h3+ is super hot as far as anderson pickups go, one of the reasons i went with the H2+ in both my drop tops. If you are slamming the front that hard it's going to show up, the axe is very good at hearing the differences between guitars and pickup outputs. my old triaxis rig was more forgiving of guitar differences.

per patch input gain has been requested a bunch, not sure if it will see the light of day or not.

I have guitars with both of those two pickups and don't see that much of a drop with the Suhr pickups. There is more gain and more lower mids with the H3+, but it's not so much that I feel I need to change my input levels. Check the pickup height on both guitars, and maybe make some minute adjustments if you want them to be closer in gain.

Of my main guitars I have one with the DA, one with the H3+ and three with the H3. The way I set my levels is generally so that the H3 and DA are just right and the H3+ is just a touch over the top gain wise. (I don't use that guitar as much as the others.)

Back
Top Bottom