Help a newbie out!

SamiT

Hey! I've been considering buying an Axe fx2 XL+ for very long time now since all my favourite artists use it and it would be absolutely perfect for me because I want something good sounding without annoying the neighbours.

But I have about a million questions about the unit and haven't been able to find any answers after hours of searching.. These are really basic things, so please bear with me.

1. Do I need a Power amp to use the Axe fx properly?

2. I saw a video of Misha Mansoor using a Axe fx like this: Guitar -> Active Direct Box -> Axe fx -> Audio Interface -> Mac.. are a direct box and a seperate interface needed?

3. Can I use Axe fx with a bass?

Thank you :)

Hey SamiT!

1. A question to your question, how do you listen to music currently? Do you have an audio interface currently? Or powered monitors? If you just want to listen to what you are playing on headphones, its got that built in. Check page 17 of the manual, it describes different setups very well http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf

2. No, you can actually use the Axe FX 2 as an interface itself using USB. See page 24 in the manual for more information.

3. You can certainly use a bass with it! (and vocals, synths, etc at that)

1. No, you don't need a Power Amp unless you are going to use a regular guitar cab.
2. No, you can hook up your Axe via USB to your computer.
3. Yes

Recommend downloading the Manual & checking out the AxeFX Wiki.

Actually I'm just starting to build my "home studio" so atm I do not have an interface nor powered monitors.. But my plan was to get the Axe Fx and use it with headphones and then invest in some nice monitors in the future and start building my setup from there. So I can basicly just go Guitar -> Axe FX2 -> PC?

And thank you very much for the fast replies :)

While it's absolutely possible, just remember that this unit is not going to instantly make you sound like Mr Mansoor.

Be prepared for how complex this thingcan get should you choose to dive down the Tone Black Hole.

Download the manual and pretend you already have one.

Oh, monitors highly recommended

Yeah I have put alot of thought into this.. I've watched a ton of videos of people dialing in the tones on this unit and I'd love to experiment with all the possibilities it has :)

And yes, I will take good look at the manual. Thank you for the advise.

When I was new to FAS (7 years ago), the Manual was very helpful. Yek's guides are also very helpful. I suggest you just dig in.

You will not regret it as long as you don't mind spending some quality time learning. The new firmware makes it easier than ever to get a great tone but there is still much to know. The whole IR choice is a major learning investment. Just don't get frustrated if you don't get instant tone bliss. It will come but you have to earn it. This forum will make the trip much easier though.

If you have no amp/speakers....buy the Axe, plug in a set of headphones, connect USB to your computer....track to your heart's content.

I just got a B-stock 2XL+...I run mine right into my digital mixer/interface (N8). Monitor with headphones or studio monitors. Kills in both.

Too busy auditioning/tracking guitar tracks to try it on bass yet, but I'm sure it'll sound great.

'favourite'? Are you U.S., U.K. or other?...Check B-stock deals on Fractal website.....

Back
Top Bottom