Hello. Just pulled the trigger.

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I went ahead and ordered my AFX 2 XL+. I'm very excited. I also got on the waitlist for the MFC and EV-1.

I am just an at home player, admittedly just in the learning stages (which I know lasts forever but you know what I mean--I'm intermediate at best).

I have been into audio and computers for a long time, so I'm somewhat tech-savvy. Still, I want to make sure I'm not doing anything completely whacked.

I'm planning on setting up a workstation where I can noodle and practice along with backing tracks/lessons. I have a Macbook Air and was thinking I'd just connect that up to the AFX via USB (I think I'll also add a Thunderbolt display, or perhaps get an actual iMac). I do also have a desktop PC but not really planning on using that though it's a possibility. I don't really plan on recording anything, but I could record right into Garageband couldn't I?

For sound output, I'm considering a few options. Since this is for home use only at this point, and the setup will be in the living room, I want to keep things looking very clean and simple. So my options are:

1. Use existing Denon Receiver and my old school Bose 301 bookshelf speakers. This would keep the initial price down since they are already on hand. Kind of a budget Tyler Grund @Gamedojo setup with potential to upgrade speakers later.

2. Purchase a couple of studio monitors. Maybe KRK Rokit 8s or similar. If I go this route, would it make sense to get a sub as well?

3. Power amp and a cab or two. This seems like overkill for my needs, but something to consider.

Any thoughts and/or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Congratulations! You’re in for an ongoing series of wonderful surprises.

We have something in common, as I'm an aspiring guitarist, too. (Long-time keyboardist.) This is worth mentioning because I know the Axe has made a huge difference in my progress… I can stand and play for hours; the amusement never ends. And as a result, I'm actually learning how to play.

I'm a big fan of using a full-range, flat response system for monitoring instead of an amp and cabinet that colors the sound; I'd rather let the Axe do that for me.

My one and only suggestion would be to get yourself a good pair of headphones; I'd suggest this before investing in any other monitoring tools. Most of my practice time is through my Grados; I get the full benefit of the fantastic stereo output, I don’t scare my cat, and I don’t bother anyone else. It sounds incredible.

You’re in for the time of your life. Again, congratulations.

Lots of good information in the Amps and Cabs section of this forum: Amps and Cabs

I ran my Axe through some Yamaha 5" studio monitors for years and thought it sounded great. An 8" speaker would have more low end. I think a sub would be overkill for electric guitar frequency ranges. I've actually been running a high pass filter on my cab blocks to remove low end below about 75 hz to fit into a live mix better. But finding the tone in your head may be a different objective than fitting in with a band running keys, acoustic, 4 vocals, strings, brass...

I've recently moved to a power amp that can run into either a passive Xitone wedge or my guitar cabinets. It gives more versatility for live settings where I'm not going into the PA or want to jam and have the cab fill the room. Monitors are great for playing at home though, so it is more about finding a solution that fits your needs.

Thanks. I do have a pretty good set of headphones. Sennheiser HD280 Pros IIRC, though I'm not sure where they are right now lol. I'm kind of transient, living at a friend's house while my new home is built. Almost everything I own is in storage. Bleh. For now, I'm stuck using my Bose in-ear headphones. They're actually pretty good but not what I'd plan on using long term.

That’s great. If you can find those Sennheisers, they’ll take care of you until you decide to invest in some studio monitors. And you won't wear out your welcome! :)

kleydj13,

Thanks man. I've been enjoying your videos for quite a while now. Your videos helped me decide to get an HD500 a while ago. :D I was only considering the sub for when playing along to backing tracks, but perhaps it's not needed. I suppose if I do get some monitors I could grab a sub from GC and see if it adds much, then return if not.

My AFX just arrived! No USB cable included so running out to get one. Anything else I should pick up while I'm at it?

I listened to the KRK Rokit 6s and 8s at GC. I was actually planning on just grabbing the 8s. But I listened to some Yamahas. H7 or something? The highs sounded so much crisper. They're more expensive ($299 vs $249 for the Rokit 8s) but the difference was pretty big. I ended up not getting any of them for now.

Lol. Good point. No I'm staying at a friend's place while my house gets built. Everything I own is in storage. The box with that stuff is buried deeeep in the back. :( I assume my "lost" HD280 pros are in there somewhere too so I just bought another pair.

Having to do some phone/computer updating so I was reading the quick start guide and am about to fire it up.

Side note: I just ordered a couple of Mission Engineering EP-1 pedals (chrome, because it looks sexy).

exciting!

i stream on Twitch during the week and can answer questions and demo stuff if you ever need to. check my signature below and follow my channel if you're interested.

I just spent the last hour or so just noodling going through factory presets. I got through about 150 lol. Good Lord, the Axe FX 2 sounds f****** amazing. I had an HD500 a while back and it sounded fairly decent I suppose, but the factory presets left much to be desired, so I spent a bunch of time tweaking trying to get some better tones and never quite managed it. This is night and day. The factory presets are stellar. I can just pick one and be plenty happy for now, though I'm sure I'll experiment later.

I love that I can try basically any amp I've ever been curious about and get a damn-near-perfect representation. And for under $2500?? I understand why some say it's expensive but can you say VALUE!

exciting!

i stream on Twitch during the week and can answer questions and demo stuff if you ever need to. check my signature below and follow my channel if you're interested.

Thanks Chris. Following Facebook. I need to remember my Twitch login but I'll check that out too.

Welcome to the machines (Axe & Cliff). At home I use a Bose L1 S1 with sub mainly because that's what my entire band goes thru in small clubs(electronic drums/no amps on stage) but I think it sounds great at home also!

So I just did kind of a test run running the AFX into a friend's Sony receiver and then into my Bose 301s. The Bose are on a bookshelf so the bass is probably being emphasized so it's a bit too bass heavy. I turned the bass way down on the receiver to compensate and it actually sounds pretty good. Gets pretty loud too actually. So I guess I'll initially go that route at the new house. Can always change speakers later.

If you can, bite the bullet and go ahead and get a GOOD (I'm no fan of the KRK stuff) set of powered monitors.
Yamaha and JBL both make fantastic ones (I'm in love with both my Wharfedale and my Atoms) and there are a few others too.

You don't have to go nuts with it, but they'll be way WAY more pleasant to deal with than a home stereo solution.

As far as your plan to play along with backing tracks and all, I do that a lot (especially while I'm traveling) so what you can do it run a USB cable into your Mac, within your system preferences set the sound output device to the Axe-FX and have your monitors connected to the Axe-FX. Easy as pie and works like a charm.

Alternatively, you can do like what I have in my little home studio and grab a little mixer (the Allen & Heath Zed10FX is a great little unit), use IT as your sound card instead and run your Axe-FX into IT, or whatever you want. It's not necessary at all, but it's a little more flexible if you're practicing/recording vocals or anything else.

Thanks EvilPhish. I had gone into GC to get the KRKs but listened to the Yamaha HS7s and they sounded much better IMO. Any thoughts on those? I was planning on going USB from Axe FX to Mac like you said. Thank you.

Welcome .....I think your initial post is right on, for now. But studio monitors are really great..............I never like any of the KRK stuff, but that's just a personal opinion

I'm a bit of an impulse buyer so the Yamaha HS7s are now in hand. I was very close to getting the HS8s because the low frequency response seemed much better in the store, but they are also friggin huge.

Back
Top Bottom