Hello Fractal

Nolan

Hey guys
First time Axe fx owner. Picked up an Ultra.........."finally" got axe edit to work. I LOVE IT. For now just using a focusrite 2i2 and KRK 5 Rokits. This thing is amazing, I can just imagine how powerful the axe fx 2 is.
I want to hook this thing up different ways just to see results of different gear combinations. But connections and software/hardware settings for rack gear is quite new to me. Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated
1) My buddy wants to get rid of his VHT 2150. I know this things is huge and heavy, but I just love the sound. Are there special cables or connection methods for the Ultra to the VHT and VHT to CAB at either stereo IN @ 4ohms, or mono IN @ 8 ohms. Or is it just standard 1/4" cables L + R, from the ultra to the cab, and standard speaker 1/4"(s) to either stereo or mono IN at the cab. Ill be running a mesa standard slant cab with 2x V30s, and 2x G12T75s in an X pattern. Correct me if I am wrong, I will need to disable cab sim. and power amp sim.
2) I want to run the 4 cable method into my 6505+. I was reading this method will need noise cancelling cables due to excessive noise of the signal conversion.
Thanks for any input.

Hey Nolan! Welcome to the FAS Fold.

For (1): just plain old 1/4" TR connections to the VHT power amp from the Ultra. If the VHT supports XLR you may find that method has less noise because of the inherent noise-cancelling properties of XLR-based connections. From the VHT to your cabinet you need speaker cables. These are much heavier gauge wire spec'ed to handle the high power signal put out by the amplifier to the speakers. You cannot run the Ultra directly to unpowered speaker cabinets -- you need a power amp in between it and the cabinets.

For (2) it's just plain 1/4" TR cables here for 4CM method with the Ultra. The Ultra doesn't have the Humbuster stuff that the newer Axe-Fx II units have on its outputs.

Welcome in, Nolan. Lots of Ultra users on the forum, it's a great place to learn. +1 on both of iaresee's comments, they are spot on.

Back
Top Bottom