Hell Night at the Arena (Cologne Germany)

Radley

Experienced
I have been having some reliability issues with my AFX II/MFC setup lately, but last night was just awful ~ My Fractal rig just went a-wall and started rapidly changing patches on its own! It literally looked like a testing sequence (the lights were entertaining but the resulting sound was an unpredictable nightmare). This happened three different times during last night's concert, and I am totally baffled and concerned. If anyone has ever experienced this or has an idea what could be causing it I would really appreciate your input.... unless I get it figured out before our Munich show tomorrow night, I am seriously considering changing my rig mid-tour, which would be a painful process indeed. :(

Really sounds like a stuck button on the MFC.
Did you try the selfcleaning thing pressing each button 20-30 times fast?

This happened several times to me the other night as well. Luckily I was not playing in front of all my adoring fans at MSG, but to my dog. The MFC is hooked up via Cat5 cable. Using 19.03 beta or whatever is the most recent firmware. I don't believe it is a stuck IA since it jumped 100 presets!

I've been gigging with 19.03 without any issue like this.

But I don't use my MFC anymore. I have a TC Electronic Voice Live 3 in my rig for background vocals, so I use that as my Fractal controller.

I would look to the MFC as the cause.

i had this issue a while back. i was using a FAS link adaptor on the AxeFX end to an MFC Mk3 (standard mic cable connection). Eliminated the adaptor and went back to using a Cat5 cable and it stopped.

Had this happen as well, it ended up being a switch (the UP) that went bad. It wouldn't happen all the time, but when it did it was a real PITA. Had to send it in and have it replaced. No issues since. Super fast response and repair time from FAS.

Last edited:
Yes.

You should contact us immediately. I'm sure we can get a new MFC over there asap along with some FASLINK adapters. You really should use FASLINK. It's far more rugged than CAT-5.
Mucho Thanks Cliff ~ It will be via email since I didn't bring my cell phone (Deby & I prefer Skype/Facetime)

I don't know if you have the extra cash but I have double everything for backup purposes. I did a show once when my rig went down and I decided to never let it happen again. Good luck!

I don't know if you have the extra cash but I have double everything for backup purposes. I did a show once when my rig went down and I decided to never let it happen again. Good luck!

I would suppose my remark of having extra cash for backup equipment is silly then. My wife is the biggest Neil Diamond fan! How cool to have you on the forum!!!

I would suppose my remark of having extra cash for backup equipment is silly then. My wife is the biggest Neil Diamond fan! How cool to have you on the forum!!!
No problem Redd :) ~ All of our equipment has backups but we hope to never have to resort to them during a show. Last night's show went without a hitch, but I still want to find out what went wrong technically so I can actively avoid any situation that would make the problem reappear. Matt is having me try an XA-1 FASLINK Adapter and mic cable when we get to Amsterdam in a few days. The fact that others have had similar problems makes me wonder if there is an underlying problem to be dealt with ~ one step at a time...

The fact that others have had similar problems makes me wonder if there is an underlying problem to be dealt with ~ one step at a time...

Hope you have no more issues for the rest of your tour Radley, especially for such a great show that you guys put on!

I think the FASLINK cable is the solution to the underlying problem; which is that ethernet cables themselves are generally unreliable (even expensive ones). Having said that, I hope it's definitely the cable that is the fault, and not something more expensive.

Good luck for your remaining dates, let us know how they go if you get the chance please! :)

Back
Top Bottom