Helix Tones (Vox AC 30 & Marshall 1959)

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
I was just checking out some Line 6 Helix videos to see and hear what that unit is capable of and I found two interesting demos by Sean Halley, an amazing guitar player with a keen sense of melody. There were two tracks in those demos that particularly caught my eye/ear: "Pretty Clean" and "Southern Tella". I liked these tracks and their tones so much so that I just had to cover them with my Axe FX II. Here are the results:

I should've worked with the EQs a bit more to get it even closer, but it's pretty close already, at least in my opinion. Here are the Line 6 videos for comparison:

Alas, I wasn't able to use a Tele bridge pickup in my Marshall clip, instead I've used an Edwards Les Paul with slightly overwound PAF pickups. The difference is most noticeable in the low-mids and >5khz range.

I used the same amp models & similar settings as Sean and I have to say that they do sound comparable in the mix, though the cab choice is also a big factor and I did use different cabs. Outside of the mix, however, the differences become more apparent, but the difference is not earth-shattering. I still prefer my Axe FX II :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom