Helix Native

For anyone interested here's a comparison between the AX8, Amplitube and Helix native Recto model. Same reamped track, same IR and signal chain. The Helix has a noticable "fizziness" that makes it sound more like a modeler IMO.

I really didn't dislike Amplitube in that clip. Not one bit. That surprised the heck out of me.

For anyone interested here's a comparison between the AX8, Amplitube and Helix native Recto model. Same reamped track, same IR and signal chain. The Helix has a noticable "fizziness" that makes it sound more like a modeler IMO.

Amplitube sounded fairly muffled and the Helix sounded somewhat thin.

Excellent video, bro.

At first, I thought I liked 1st clip the best. However, after rocking back and forth between all of them, I seemed to prefer the 2nd clip.

My analysis:

1st Clip - Had more beef and definition to it.
2nd Clip - Had more mid-range bite to it.
3rd Clip - Similar to 1st clip, but less defined and more fizz.
4th Clip - Sounded good. Very similar to the 1st clip.

Was going to ask you when the reveal would be, then I minimized out of fullscreen and saw your video's description! Looks like I preferred Amplitube (Holy crap!). However, the AX8 sounded just as good, but just different.

Did you leave amp settings for all at default? Or did you tweak to try to get them to sound similar?

Same settings, Amplitube has way more mids at those settings (less accurate compared to the real amp but handy in a mix). I liked Amplitube more than the Helix for this model.

Last edited:
for the record, Installing of MS Visual C++ Redistribute 2013 fixed the plugin's problem for me.

I just tried Helix Native and i honestly dont get why people like it. I still prefer guitar rig to Helix.

Installed Helix Native yesterday and tried out some higher gain tones which sounded full and articulate through my monitors, however, as with all the Line 6 amp models I've tried the feel is kind of "stiff" compared to the AxeFx's more liquid feel. I also do not care for the interface. I'm a bit of a plugin junkie with full licenses for Revalver, Bias, Guitar Rig, and Amplitube - don't think I'll be investing in Helix N for 500 $cdn.

Last edited:
I just tried Helix Native and i honestly dont get why people like it. I still prefer guitar rig to Helix.

I find GR unusable from a tones perspective. Everything just sounds bland / bla to me though I really like the interface. Much prefer Amplitube / Bias. Revalver has some awesome low gain / mid gain tones but the interface and effects are kind of quirky. Too bad NI seems to have abandoned GR with no updates in the last 5+ years.

I wasn't expecting a lot but I was pleasently surprised by helix native.

I mostly play metal for what it's worth, I really liked the Archon model, and the Badonk brought me right back to the good ol days when I used a podXT and the Big Bottom model. Though Badonk does sound much better and more like an amp, but with the same kind of voicing. I didn't like the recto model, which is lame since I always tend to gravitate toward rectos.

I still prefer my axe fx, but I also have years of experience using it. Who knows what my conclusion would be if I were new to both, and a/b-ing them...

I guess the helix is still in early days, where the axe fx is a pretty mature product. Who knows where helix will be in a year or five. I'll keep my eye out for a floorboard on the used market if one comes up for the right price, as I don't really have any use for a plugin, seeing as I don't record much at all these days.

Is this a bad time to mention that a plungin Axe FX would be Ah-amazing?!?!?!
It will come.
With random dsp production and innovation in the years coming, Cliff will prefer relying on iOS or Mac/Pc, with specific usb audio interface/licence single.
Tiger Sharc is not anymore and Cliff can’t find any replacement chip to handle quantum code. Pretty sure he wasn’t aware of that when he came into this business.

It will come.
With random dsp production and innovation in the years coming, Cliff will prefer relying on iOS or Mac/Pc, with specific usb audio interface/licence single.
Tiger Sharc is not anymore and Cliff can’t find any replacement chip to handle quantum code. Pretty sure he wasn’t aware of that when he came into this business.
Straight from the man himself:

We have sufficient working capital to buy enough DSPs for 20+ years of Axe-Fx's if need be.

It will come.
Interesting statements and conclusions. Source?

It will come.

0788c10585879d510586a1c03dbb1a6a--john-stewart-no-meme.jpg

It will come.

Can you back this info up?

It will come.
We'll see.

Let me quote Cliff from the book "Tone Wizards":

The future will be about apps more than hardware. I think the smart companies are the ones that are starting to get into app development now. This has been a trend in other areas where everything moves toward more general-purpose computing devices with custom software on them. Look at smart phones; they are all pretty much the same. They either run iOS or they run Android. One benefit of this shift is that it actually simplifies the developer’s job. He doesn’t have to develop hardware anymore. All he has to do is write software.

And the tones are awful. I was surprised how bad it is.
You and me, both. I read posts on TGP and other forums praising the Helix Native plugin and I have no idea how someone could be so happy with it. Unless I got a buggy trial? I think S-gear is better than it. The Axe-Fx is lightyears ahead of all competition.

This is typical software business model. "Sell it now, fix it later". Very popular.
  1. Get in the market first and scoop everyone up
    1. Slick UI covers up basic deficiencies
    2. Mile wide, inch deep features
    3. Repackage 10 year old code
    4. Minor tweaks advertised as innovation
  2. Product needs to be just good enough
    1. or at least appear good enough.
  3. Let everyone call themselves "early adopters",
    1. create internet echo chamber.
    2. Users evangelize for you
  4. Update your software incrementally, let everyone rave about it.
    1. Fix minor issues
    2. Ignore elephant-in-the-room problems.
  5. Stay just ahead of your competitors, if you have any.
    1. Change the color of the box
    2. Add useless 3rd party trial software
  6. Get your user base on a monthly subscription plan, if possible
    1. Constant revenue stream
    2. Predatory renewal policies
  7. Abandon product after competitor's killer app obsolesces your sham
  8. Buy Bugatti Veyron, boat.

This is typical software business model. "Sell it now, fix it later". Very popular.
  1. Get in the market first and scoop everyone up
    1. Slick UI covers up basic deficiencies
    2. Mile wide, inch deep features
    3. Repackage 10 year old code
    4. Minor tweaks advertised as innovation
  2. Product needs to be just good enough
    1. or at least appear good enough.
  3. Let everyone call themselves "early adopters",
    1. create internet echo chamber.
    2. Users evangelize for you
  4. Update your software incrementally, let everyone rave about it.
    1. Fix minor issues
    2. Ignore elephant-in-the-room problems.
  5. Stay just ahead of your competitors, if you have any.
    1. Change the color of the box
    2. Add useless 3rd party trial software
  6. Get your user base on a monthly subscription plan, if possible
    1. Constant revenue stream
    2. Predatory renewal policies
  7. Abandon product after competitor's killer app obsolesces your sham
  8. Buy Bugatti Veyron, boat.
not-cool-bro-59e389.jpg

Back
Top Bottom