Helix effects vs FX8 effects , Internet Review

There was a lot of hype over the Line 6 Pod when it came out. I acquired one in a trade & there was no way to use it with a tube amp and make it sound good from my experience. Just curious if there is the same hype with the Helix. Was curious to use one as an effects unit because of the 4 loops so I could run it to two amps. Seems like it has limited effects though. There are not to many clips of it being used into a tube amp.

What are they asking for? I'm just curious. I think you own a AX8 now, correct. What do you see that is lacking? I don't think you will find anyone who actually physically owns one, be complaining about much.

Here's my latest photo. Not much missing here.

View attachment 29055

I think that the FX8 could be improved by adding some functionality. I have made multiple 'wishes' myself. I would also say the bugs that do exist need to be addressed. After finding one myself and realising it had been known about for months and left unfixed I got nervous. Very nervous. But people are sure it will be fixed and the product will get lots of updates etc. So I'll trust that for now.

But things like using any footswitch for anything. Not being limited by anything but CPU. Momentary footswitches. Better access to preset switching. Better looper integration.

There's a lot.

But!!!!!!!!!!!! (< so no one misses the next bit)

The sound quality is amazing. Shocking stuff. Jaw dropping.

It makes me want to play more.
It's inspiring.
It's tough as nails.

I could go on but anyone who's been reading my posts knows I love it.

But it's not perfect. But it's the best purchase I've made on years.

It can be both.

I can tell you how I drew my conclusions:

- I spent months on the TGP Helix thread and have listened to probably 20 demos of it including the multi hour multi part Chad Boston demos.
- I have been in bands with guitarists with L6 fx gear for years
- I have used some random L6 gear over the years
- I have owned a pod and a bass pod
- I have read direct comparisons made by people that like the Helix
- I have comparisons by people that dislike the Helix
- I have a Helix preordered
- I own an FX8
- I own other high end fx pedals and have worked professionally as a musicians and a producer

---

So that's who I am and my experience.

I think the Helix is a massive leap forward for L6 BUT I wouldn't dream of trading my FX8 for one... but I may find it a cool tool for recording and may even mash it up with my FX8.

Hope that's clear. ☺

Oh gawd..... the Chad Boston videos would make most people hate the Helix. :)

When you have one in your hands, you may find that you like the sound of the effects whether in 4cm with an amp or with digital modeling. You may like the complex patches you can build on the Helix that you can't on the FX8 due to block limitations or dsp limitations. You may love the scribble strips. You may love the assignability of the footswitches on the Helix or that you can make them latching or momentary. You may like having 10 assignable footswitches at once. And you may still prefer the FX8 which is an incredible sounding effects modeler.

There was a lot of hype over the Line 6 Pod when it came out. I acquired one in a trade & there was no way to use it with a tube amp and make it sound good from my experience. Just curious if there is the same hype with the Helix. Was curious to use one as an effects unit because of the 4 loops so I could run it to two amps. Seems like it has limited effects though. There are not to many clips of it being used into a tube amp.

Back in the day, it's what there was. I couldn't get a useful sound out of any L6 amp modeler until the Helix. I still expect to prefer the sound of the AX8. Doesn't mean the Helix is a lemon, junk etc...

I agree the effects are pretty meat and potatoes at this point. They need to get over the initial bug fixing and start adding more content (added two effects so far, but everything else has been other things).

Oh gawd..... the Chad Boston videos would make most people hate the Helix. :)

When you have one in your hands, you may find that you like the sound of the effects whether in 4cm with an amp or with digital modeling. You may like the complex patches you can build on the Helix that you can't on the FX8 due to block limitations or dsp limitations. You may love the scribble strips. You may love the assignability of the footswitches on the Helix or that you can make them latching or momentary. You may like having 10 assignable footswitches at once. And you may still prefer the FX8 which is an incredible sounding effects modeler.

I know a lot of those issues are supposedly going to be addressed in the coming months. The AX8 (somewhat annoyingly) can currently run more than 8 fx at once. It can also use footswitches for anything - more or less. I assume momentary switches can't be far behind as well. At least I hope so.

I KNOW I will LOVE the scribble strips and the form factor. I'd love a built in expression pedal as well.

I also think there will be some special effects on it.

Anyway. I'm NOT a hater. But I am really happy with my FX8.

Back in the day, it's what there was. I couldn't get a useful sound out of any L6 amp modeler until the Helix. I still expect to prefer the sound of the AX8. Doesn't mean the Helix is a lemon, junk etc...

I agree the effects are pretty meat and potatoes at this point. They need to get over the initial bug fixing and start adding more content (added two effects so far, but everything else has been other things).
Thanks, Agree totally, there looks to be a giant leap forward. So is it transparent sounding in a 4 cable application. I could never set up the POD so I went back to pedals.

It doesn't matter what you get if you don't know how to program the effects and use the eq properly. A helix, fx8 and ax8 will all sound crap to someone who doesn't know what to do.

It's horses for courses - the Helix does modelling plus effects and a bundle of configuration options. It does it all in a very mediocre way to my ears but it does look great. If that's what you want - good for you and I hope you enjoy it.

The ax8 is about the same price but doesn't have all the features of the helix. It does sound to my ears much better than the Helix - but if you are prepared to compromise on tone in favour if funky features then get the Helix.

It's just horses for courses that's all.

It's amazing how quickly people here jump to the conclusion that people who say good things or correct inaccurate information about a competing product must be affiliated with that company.

Not here to debate mate (eight slate), was just attempting to adjust the sails on the discussion. That's why I threw this in: "With that said, there's nothing wrong with that because we all enjoy an element of competition. But others are correct, as long as the discussions are civil, why not compare the devices or product offerings in such a place." By others, you are included in that ;) . Cheers for Fractal!
Cheers_zpsmvnon1hw.png

Thanks, Agree totally, there looks to be a giant leap forward. So is it transparent sounding in a 4 cable application. I could never set up the POD so I went back to pedals.

I found it to be as transparent as my FX8 with my Tubemeister 36 and a Tweaker 40. The one thing to be aware of is that the Helix lets you set the inputs and outputs as either instrument or line level so you need to match them to your loop. I've requested that the input/ouput levels be settable by "Setlist" or some other way instead of only global so I can have a setlist of nothing but 4cm setups with the appropriate levels set.

It doesn't matter what you get if you don't know how to program the effects and use the eq properly. A helix, fx8 and ax8 will all sound crap to someone who doesn't know what to do.

It's horses for courses - the Helix does modelling plus effects and a bundle of configuration options. It does it all in a very mediocre way to my ears but it does look great. If that's what you want - good for you and I hope you enjoy it.

The ax8 is about the same price but doesn't have all the features of the helix. It does sound to my ears much better than the Helix - but if you are prepared to compromise on tone in favour if funky features then get the Helix.

It's just horses for courses that's all.

Tone is subjective and subject to confirmation bias. Others may believe the Helix sounds much better than the FAS products to their ears. Opinions. Not facts. And you stated it as opinion which is great. But you don't have my ears. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but if my ears tell me the Helix amp or effect sounds better, that doesn't mean I'm wrong. In any case, the true test of accuracy is to see how closely either unit sounds and feels like the actual amp modeled, not against each other.

I own FX8 but SamAsh youtube video about Helix makes me want to have the Helix. I like the how the delay sounds and oscillate that way. It's more analogue and more pedal like kind of delay. The dirt sounds variable for each model. The synth sounds awesome and very today electronic music imho. The tremolo sounds great and has vintage feel. Finally the reverb is so alive especially particle verb. Helix seems more fun to play with. But it also more expensive than fx8. Anyway I don't know about the simplicity setup for playing live.

I haven't seen any famous players using a Helix yet although I do know Guthrie Govan uses an FX8

I own FX8 but SamAsh youtube video about Helix makes me want to have the Helix. I like the how the delay sounds and oscillate that way. It's more analogue and more pedal like kind of delay. The dirt sounds variable for each model. The synth sounds awesome and very today electronic music imho. The tremolo sounds great and has vintage feel. Finally the reverb is so alive especially particle verb. Helix seems more fun to play with. But it also more expensive than fx8. Anyway I don't know about the simplicity setup for playing live.

I paid less for my Helix. Look around for sales / discounts etc...

Back
Top Bottom