Helix and the Law of unintended consequences!

many of the old delays seem to have a little bump in the eq just at the point of the roll off. if you use the hi and low cut in the delay block, also increase the Q value and you'll see a hump appear before the filter rolls off. be careful, because high Q values can cause the delay to go into self oscillation very easily, but you'll find sensible values will give you a very nice crusty sound. bumping the mids can also sound nice too. don't be afraid to really cut the low end...almost into mid range territory.

many of the old delays seem to have a little bump in the eq just at the point of the roll off. if you use the hi and low cut in the delay block, also increase the Q value and you'll see a hump appear before the filter rolls off. be careful, because high Q values can cause the delay to go into self oscillation very easily, but you'll find sensible values will give you a very nice crusty sound. bumping the mids can also sound nice too. don't be afraid to really cut the low end...almost into mid range territory.

Great advice!

Many of the old classic EQ circuits (really nothing to do with delay per se) have ringing near the cutoff frequency. It's really something the EQ design engineers probably wish they could have avoided. But that "mistake" has become defacto to our ears :)

I use the same technique with my DAW EQ's. I find it particularly useful with a high pass filter. E.g. If you dial up a low cut at 100hz, giving a little bump to the EQ at 100hz gives more apparent girth to the tone.

With a graphic EQ bump up a db or two with the slider to the right of your low cuts.

I find it weird that a foot controller (MFC) is that expensive. It's just a pretty looking pedal board. There's nothing special about it.
That's why I never bought it... I have my FCB1010 and that works fine.

i have to disagree, the way the MFC seamlessly integrates with the Axe makes it pretty special.

IMO, what people like about analog delays are the narrow bandwidth. The noise, aliasing and crud is debatable. The early analog delays typically used fixed anti-aliasing and reconstruction filters. These filters were designed for the worst-case scenario: maximum delay time. Typically at maximum delay time the clock frequency was only 4-5 kHz IIRC which means the filters need to be < 2 kHz. One popular pedal had the filter at 1.75 kHz. They filters also have a very steep cut-off, typically at least 4th-order but usually 6th order. The slope is given by order x 6 so for 6th-order you would set the slope to 36 dB/oct. For those who are interested there's a paper on DAFX about it.
I'll take your word for it, since I'm currently flailing my way through college trig and I don't have my universal translator.

I tried the Helix and it surprised the Hell outta me. It has some really killer tones, the response was great on both strat and LP, it was easy to maneuver, and it is built and looked like a tank! The knobs seemed a little flimsy to me and there's no midi out.
Other than that I felt the Helix delivered exactly what they said it would and has ZERO to do with past efforts. That thin annoying aspect I found in their previous offerings simply aren't there. This is a great tool that does what it says and is definitely worth the money.
That being said I've heard that some users have experienced some pretty piss poor quality control issues and buggy aspects that are definitely annoying when we look forward to the delivery of these types of items!
I have to say that being on my 3rd year as an Axefx owner that I have never left my studio or practice rooms without a big fuckin grin on my face. I KNOW that I have the most elite tone machine on the planet and can make ANY sound I can think of. Period. I adore my current setup. But helix does bring some aspects to the table that Fractal hasn't yet and hopefully will take notice. I am sure the next few Fractal products will prove to be as amazing as we all imigaine.

Another thing. I've seen some Helix reviews that miraculously came out before it was even released. Haters... Try one for yourselves. There's room on this planet for other devices and without question, the Helix is that. Another device. And a really good one, at that!
- end rant.

I own both -- the AxeFX II, and the Helix. Agree that the Helix doesn't *quite* match the AxeFX in terms of tone, but for the gigging guitarist who needs a stage tool rather than a studio one, the trade-off is worth it for one simple reason: USER INTERFACE. I'm not a complete idiot, but in 4 years of owning an AxeFX, I barely managed to scratch the surface of what it can do--because it's impenetrable. Some of you are probably very technically minded, and that's great. AxeFX is an astounding tool for you. But I can say truthfully that I am already sounding WAY better live with the Helix than I ever did with the AxeFX, and it all boils down to how easy the thing is to use.

That being said, now that Helix has taught me a thing or two about signal path design, I'm tempted to go back into my AxeFX and see what I can do...but the ease-of-use case for Helix can't be overstated. For $1500, I have a powerful signal processor that--while it might not meet the high standards of the Axe community--fools a LOT of people into thinking it's a tube amp, and a remarkably intuitive control center for my entire rig. AxeFX demands $2k+ just for the box...and then, if you dare to use a controller other than Fractal's...bad times abound.

Like I said, I'm sure the engineers here can manage in the live setting with the AxeFX. But even given the [modest] tradeoff in sound...I doubt I'll go back.

I agree with this. Other than the 'impenetrable' part. A Learning curve for sure if your not a midi guy or a previous modeler junkie. I definitely hated every modeler crapola I've ever played. They seemed fake and shrill to me... Line6 baloney. Use real amps whyDoncha! Then my super nerd, studio rat buddy tried to get me to try a Fractal. He was right. It caught up and I was sold immediately.

This community acts kinda anal sometimes and seems pretty eager to dial out offerings from other companies. I am an Axefx lover/owner but I definitely like the Helix package. It's powerful and extremely useful for the gigging guitarist. I don't require COMPLETE PERFECTION nor a complete catalog of every single amp/cab every time I hit the stage...
Honestly it feels like I'm bringing a nuclear weapon to a knife fight sometimes! Don't get me wrong, I can't see a day when I would sell my Axefx rig but there is definitely an easier live rig out there now. It's super easy to tune the Helix to the stage and make adjustments on the fly. The axe doesn't do this, which is why those badasses made the Rac12!

"called it!"
I wonder if there are/will be people who get back to the helix after trying the Axe FX ...
If there are, this isn't that much of a "Called it" situation.

Absent financial necessity, that doesn't seem likely.

that was standard for a controller when the MFC was designed. things have changed in just a few short years, and a few other controllers now have flexible assignments per preset and with pages. it almost necessitates the need of screens though, because it would be a chore to remember what switch does what without it (assuming different switches per preset for example). i use an MMGT by RJM and it is more flexible than the MFC.

for many people, the MFC is the best choice. for some, another controller could be a better choice. it depends on what you need though. look what Fractal has done for the Amp Modeler and FX unit. there is no doubt they could do something phenomenal with foot controllers too, but there are only so many hours on the day.

They should buy FAMC. That would free up Jeff to go do what he likes best. Development. Squatting bugs. Keeps him away from the tedious business of customer service which he just loves to neglect. I sort of get that, too. I'd hate to contend with all of the nagging.

Fractal would gain the most brilliant foot controllers in the world. They could put some of their world famous customer service behind it.

That said. The current LF+ series is ludacrously powerful, but not that easy to work with. With great power comes great responsibility. Pair that with an AxeFx and you have quite a learning curve. ;D

But I really think they should buy FAMC. Do you think Cliff and Jeff would get along?

Last edited:
How many software updates has the helix had since it's release, and what was in them?
This alone is a key factor for me, and another reason I choose the Axe FX.

Thanks
Pauly

Late to this thread but the input I have to add is the Helix Vrs AX8 deal is the I/R's in the Helix are the major downfall. Right out of the box you hear a very noticeable difference with the AX8 vrs Helix stock for stock.

All of the stock presets are usable in the AX8, with the Helix you have to do some tuning but to really get somewhere you have to use 3rd party I/R's then you start to hear something that is closer to what it should be.

I sort of get that, too. I'd hate to contend with all of the nagging.

I can't say MFC support is all that stellar. I don't mean support as in resolving issues when something breaks down, rather support as in making the product better with updates, pushing the limits of hardware, proactive reinventing of things, you know, that kind of stuff. FAS isn't very responsive to MFC user nagging, actually, so if they acquire someone, I'd rather that those guys enjoy doing the tedious things. :)

I can't say MFC support is all that stellar. I don't mean support as in resolving issues when something breaks down, rather support as in making the product better with updates, pushing the limits of hardware, proactive reinventing of things, you know, that kind of stuff. FAS isn't very responsive to MFC user nagging, actually, so if they acquire someone, I'd rather that those guys enjoy doing the tedious things. :)

I read this twice and still can't parse out that second bit.

Is there a Wish for the MFC that you've submitted but hasn't been realized? And not sure that 'pushing the limits of the hardware' on a foot controller is high on a priority list outside of a rollout of a new product.

And my hackles rise when you say 'Fractal is not responsive', since the owner has posted a few times in this very thread.

There are a lot of wishes that haven't been realized. And the last firmware release for MFC was more than one year ago. It's not typical of FAS, but that's the way it is with MFC.

Back
Top Bottom