Heavy Duty Ethernet for the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101

Hope I'm not over-complicating things, but my idea now is to make an interface of sorts both at the rack (Axe-FX II) and the pedalboard (MFC-101) so that I can use the EtherCON connectors instead of a cable w/ the regular RJ45's plugging in and out of both devices. The concept:

AxeFXII -> short patch cable w/ RJ45's (6" +/-) -> Neutrik NE8FF Coupler -> Belden cable w/ EtherCON jacks like this -> another coupler at the pedalboard -> another 6" patch cable w/ regular RJ45's -> MFC-101.

Thoughts, input?

If the patch panel at the pedalboard is mounted well, I think that's a good idea. I also think it's overkill. A high quality ethernet cable with strain relief boots over the RJ45 connectors should hold up to lots of abuse, with or without the EtherCON connectors. Where the EtherCON shines is the locking aspect, just like an XLR connector vs. TRS. I say this having previously used EtherCON for a G-System. It's just not necessary. Still take a backup cable as you never know what will happen, but I think it's safe to go without the EtherCON.

Just a side note. I used a cheap 25' generic PC store RJ45 cable that cost like $10 with my Vetta II & FBV for 5 or 6 years, and never had an issue. It was flimsy, and the ends where just the cheap clear acrylic snap ons. I put it through hell too. The only reason I didn't use the factory one was because I lost it in a move only weeks after I bought the amp. Coincidentally, found it again when I went to sell my Vetta II. lol

If the patch panel at the pedalboard is mounted well, I think that's a good idea. I also think it's overkill. A high quality ethernet cable with strain relief boots over the RJ45 connectors should hold up to lots of abuse, with or without the EtherCON connectors. Where the EtherCON shines is the locking aspect, just like an XLR connector vs. TRS. I say this having previously used EtherCON for a G-System. It's just not necessary. Still take a backup cable as you never know what will happen, but I think it's safe to go without the EtherCON.

But EtherCON sounds so badass! ETHERCON!!

Hope I'm not over-complicating things, but my idea now is to make an interface of sorts both at the rack (Axe-FX II) and the pedalboard (MFC-101) so that I can use the EtherCON connectors instead of a cable w/ the regular RJ45's plugging in and out of both devices.

That's what I'm doing now with my ultra ;-)
Except I'm using panel mount connectors instead of the Neutrik couplers. NEUTRIK NE8FDP B - Thomann UK Cyberstore
I've got a couple of Ethercon connectors on my Gordius little giant (Yes, I made some big holes in in my brand new LG and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same to an MFC101 LOL) and on a rack panel behind the Ultra.
They work great carrying MIDI 2 ways and DC power (and still one pair left over for future applications)

I found this cable to be very good quality CORDIAL CSE10NN5 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

With my G-system I used a Line6 Variax cable before which was okay but not nearly as good as the one above.
If you have trouble finding cables though the Line6 certainly is an improvement over the standard computer patch cables.

S.R.

The most adecuate RJ45 cable for that particular matter is a good industrial cable.

Those cables are flexibles and filled with silicone.

BMW use it in the garaje to diagnose the car and resist during years.

A good one is the LEONI KERPEN Megaflex line but they only sell 1000 meters minimum, may be a grouped buy do the job :)

That's what I'm doing now with my ultra ;-)
Except I'm using panel mount connectors instead of the Neutrik couplers. NEUTRIK NE8FDP B - Thomann UK Cyberstore
I've got a couple of Ethercon connectors on my Gordius little giant (Yes, I made some big holes in in my brand new LG and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same to an MFC101 LOL) and on a rack panel behind the Ultra.
They work great carrying MIDI 2 ways and DC power (and still one pair left over for future applications)

I found this cable to be very good quality CORDIAL CSE10NN5 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

With my G-system I used a Line6 Variax cable before which was okay but not nearly as good as the one above.
If you have trouble finding cables though the Line6 certainly is an improvement over the standard computer patch cables.

S.R.

This seems like a cool idea to me... at least the rack panel part. I would probably do the coupler thing at the pedalboard end instead of trying to modify the floor controller itself. What is the connection on the other side of that panel-mount Neutrik socket? Just a standard RJ45 connection? And what kind of rack panel are you using to mount this to?

Last edited:
I think there is one issue with CAT5 not fully discussed here: - not the cable itself, but jacks on either end!
You can various cable quality and it will work fine, but the weak link is the design is th econnector itself. Yes, Ethercon was mentioned, but it requires [physical] modifications to both ends of the signal chain and was designed to prevent the inherent design weakness of CAT5 - which is the jack/connector end. CAT5 was designed as a modular quick-connect upgrade to the standard RJ11 telephone line. For simple-connect-and-leave-in-place-for-extended-lengths-of-time it works great!
But constant disconnect/reconnects was not part of it's design, hence Ethercon. Ethercon is great, and will last (have it on my VG99/FC300), but are not on the MFC or Axe-II.
Thus srooijens approach is the most robust, but requires mods to the chassis on both MFC and Axe ends, which (my guess is) will VOID your warranty. Unless you want to go down that path, the best you can do is get a commercial grade CAT5 cable and be careful when connecting/disconnecting.

I'm a Network Engineer for a living. If you stick to name brand CAT5 (or 5e or CAT6) patch cables, those typically have better and more reliable connectors. i.e. Panduit is the brand I trust the most, but there are other good ones out there. It's the cheapie "no name" brand from Office Max/Depot, Best Buy, etc. that aren't so great. They'll work, but you would need to be more careful with them because the connectors are not as robust. No need to spend mega bucks on a patch cable, but stick with name brands and you'll probably be fine.

I should have made that clear. Out to MFC101.. So - the way my little sponge is absorbing this - Fractal foot controller via ethernet to EtherCon ( NE8MC - which to my understanding - snaps around a pre-existing ethernet jack ) into D chassis ( NE8FPD ) EtherCon Jack which is mounted to my rack. The back of that is an ethernet to the back of the Axe II..

I would be replacing a 7 pin midi doing the same thing but I could use the midi slot on my patch bay for editing on my laptop..

There is a definite possibility I'm off in the weeds right now....

I should have made that clear. Out to MFC101.. So - the way my little sponge is absorbing this - Fractal foot controller via ethernet to EtherCon ( NE8MC - which to my understanding - snaps around a pre-existing ethernet jack ) into D chassis ( NE8FPD ) EtherCon Jack which is mounted to my rack. The back of that is an ethernet to the back of the Axe II..

I would be replacing a 7 pin midi doing the same thing but I could use the midi slot on my patch bay for editing on my laptop..

There is a definite possibility I'm off in the weeds right now....

Maybe I'm missing something here, and if I am, I apologize, but... I think you can accomplish what you want to accomplish just by plugging straight from the MFC101 into the RJ-45 (aka Ethernet, incorrectly I might add) port on the back of the Axe-Fx II. I believe the CAT5 cable will carry power to the MFC101. Is that what you are trying to do?

I'm confused. Ethernet is a networking standard and is probably not the word you want. Is this what you are doing?

MFC(RJ45)<->(RJ45) cat5e stranded cable (EtherCON)<-> (EtherCon) your rack (RJ45) <-> (RJ45) Axe II

Why?

I'm confused. Ethernet is a networking standard and is probably not the word you want. Is this what you are doing?

MFC(RJ45)<->(RJ45) cat5e stranded cable (EtherCON)<-> (EtherCon) your rack (RJ45) <-> (RJ45) Axe II

Why?

Thanks LMO... I was afraid I was going to have to define Ethernet for folks. :)

And, yes.... your signal chain above is what I'm reading that TylerDurden is trying to do, but I ask the same question: why?

You are correct. I have a single space bay at the bottom of my rack with combo ( XLR/1/4 ) connectors across. The last slot is currently a 7 pin D chassis I set up to plug into for strain relief and cable management. I wanted to swap out the 7 pin to 5 pin and connect my laptop to the front of my rack and add the D chassis EtherCon - again for strain relief and have all midi, ethernet and instrument cables run through the bay along the bottom front of my rack.

I guess my confusion is my specific set up and the correct names for connectors. Try this: MFC101- RJ45 via ethernet ( CAT 5 ) to EtherCon into D chassis EtherCon through to RJ45 via ethernet ( CAT 5 ) to RJ45 to AXE II - I am just inserting a specific EtherCon jack for my rack. I did the same for the 7 pin cable..

MFC101- RJ45 via ethernet ( CAT 5 ) to EtherCon into D chassis EtherCon through to RJ45 via ethernet ( CAT 5 ) to RJ45 to AXE II
But... you can't use an Ethercon connector on the MFC end without modifying the chassis to accept an Ethercon connector. It's an RJ45 jack.. so you would need a cable that had RJ45 on one (MFC) end, and an Ethercon on the other.... which sort of defeats the purpose of using Ethercon in the first place. Right?

Back
Top Bottom